Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HAM Radios

Boolit Master

HAM Radios

I am interested in getting my TECH license for a HAM radio. Who else on this board has their HAM license? What simple, rugged, compact, relatively inexpensive radio do you recommend. The primary use for the radio will be for communication with hunting partners in rugged country.

Boolit Master

KD0PQH here. I run a mobil 2-meter rig, which I got mainly for emergencies but have found it useful communicating with other vehicles running in the backcountry (hunting & fishing) without repeaters using 2-meter rigs. I don't have a handheld unit but they are limited rangewise unless you have a repeater in the area, as I think the best you'll find out there for under $150.00 probably kicks out 7-watts.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Unless everyone in your party is also licensed, MURS may be a better option for you than ham.

Read my post in the prepper section.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...need-a-License
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-10-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added link to thread in prepper talk

Boolit Master

Lot of fun on ham radio been ham for 37 years get on the air and find out all the options you have,you may want to look into family radio service if all of your buddies are not ham.range for them abt 5-7 miles

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Lot of fun on ham radio been ham for 37 years get on the air and find out all the options you have,you may want to look into family radio service if all of your buddies are not ham.range for them abt 5-7 miles
    The FRS radios are only 500mw with stubby helical antenna which has about -6dB gain at UHF when held at face level, compared to an isotropic source. The only way you would ever get 5-7 miles with them is if somebody is in an aircraft, in violation of FAA rules because FRS cannot be used in aircraft in flight.

When our public safety communications section evaluated FRS radios for possible issue to CERT teams typical traffic quality copy was only about 1-2 kilometers at best in average urban terrain with ground clutter.

A better choice are the 2w VHF MURS radios. These do not require a license and perform very much the same as marine or air band VHF or 2 meter ham, and you are not limited to OEM fixed helical antennas on the radio chassis. Read my article in the prepper section, please! Thx.

In Remembrance
    Doesn't a lot of states have laws against two way communication while hunting???

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Doesn't a lot of states have laws against two way communication while hunting???
    Some places do, but here they are considered essential safety equipment.

Boolit Buddy
    Soo, did you ever get licensed? Been a ham 13 yrs here, love it, lots of fun. Lots of people to talk to about guns, loads etc.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master
    Everything everybody else wrote.
    WB5SZT

This link has a FREE downloadable Technician License class.

http://w4ava.org/techclass.htm

KE4CME here. I agree with everyone else above. My wife got hers first. That was embarrassing.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Hello KC8TRL here
    yep 2m mobile and HT (Handie Talk) is the way to go and if you are a hunting group a 2m/70cm mobile that crossband repeats is even better that way way you can talk among other and communicate further out if needed as far as 2m radio modified for MURS thats ok to I guess talk to ya out on the air

Ham portables are not type certificated to legally use on MURS, but you can take an older business band Part 90 radio certificated before 2002 and legally program 2-meter ham and MURS freqs in the same radio. That is what my county did for their ACS, CERT and Medical Reserve Corps volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ham portables are not type certificated to legally use on MURS, but you can take an older business band Part 90 radio certificated before 2002 and legally program 2-meter ham and MURS freqs in the same radio. That is what my county did for their ACS, CERT and Medical Reserve Corps volunteers.
    Hello Outpost75
    that is what I meant

There are also UHF Part 90 radios which can be programmed to include the 70cm ham band and GMRS repeater pairs and the interstitial simplex channels shared with the FRS, if you have the appropriate licenses for both services. We reprogrammed some old fire dept. radios in this manner for issue to REACT teams which were enrolled in the Auxiliary Communications Service or in volunteer SAR groups, after they had passed the background check and been credentialled by OEM.or the Sheriff's Dept.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont have a license but I usually have a Yeasu HT in my truck and I ALWAYS take it when I'm up in the hills.
    I do NOT talk (since I'm not licensed) but the HT often is able to pick up chatter (and I assume transmit) where there is no cell service. I figure if it ever got to a serious situation I'd call out for help. Been meaning to get licensed for years but I never get around to it.

This link has a FREE FCC Technician license class you can down load and also links which you can use to take practice exams to see when you are ready to find a testing session in your local area. Good luck.

http://w4ava.org/techclass.htm

Banned

I have found that in radio gear as well as guns, you get what you pay for. If you would possibly trust your life to a cheap radio, the cheap gun will do too. I prefer a professional quality radio and sidearm.

Boolit Buddy
    Just found this post WB5VOF. Novice in 1971 Advanced in 80. Boy has it changed $20 Chinese 2 meters to
    $10k Jap radios. Not very active any more 75 in the morning with all the old coots sometimes and the HT with bad weather. Most new hams don't want to talk just want a report, can't make anything either. Made my first novice rig, put together a SB101 and a 2 meter HT using a radio shack 4 ch pocket scanner. All I have anymore is a Kenwood 130 yeasu ft50 and some cheap chicom HT.
    73's Carroll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast