Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a Lee cast iron press

Yeah, my classic cast is doing a great job for me. I got it before the classic turret was available. If I had a do-over, I would likely choose the turret.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

rings

the factory rings were cast iron and the replacement were steel.I know as I rebuilt my engines after ww2 as they were 1930s cars in 1945
    WILDCATT

Banned

Got the classic and love it, but I wish I had the turret also. Is the turret every bit as good as the single classic? If so I may sell the classic and get the turret model. It would be nice to set up a set of dies at once.

Boolit Master

The Lee Classic turret is a great press. The only things to watch out for are lubricating the turrets proper and making sure that you have lots of the round Lee die boxes to store the set-up turrets in. I've got mine set up for 12 cartridges and can change over in less than a minute.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master
    Here's another vote for the Lee Classic Turret. After getting one, I sold off almost all my other presses and simplified my reloading. The priming takes a bit of study and effort to get the hang of, but once you got it it works fine. I LOVE that primer disposal thru the ram! I have had no timing issues, and the fourth station comes in handy. A GREAT press!
    Lathesmith

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I can appreciate the nice thoughts about the Lee Classic presses. Long ago I got a little Lee "Reloader" press and dedicated it to a universal decaper, love it. Recapping is with a Lee Prime tool, love that too.

I think concerns about slop in the extended ram of any press are misplaced. In fact, it may help us get better cartridges! The alignment of a case entering a die can be forced off center if it is rigid but with a bit of free play in the ram a case will self align with the die perfectly.

The quality of our reloads depends much more on the dies and our technique than the press.
    I tend to agree with 1hole. About 1987 I inquired of RCBS whether I should be concerned about the ram wobble in my 1963 Junior press. RCBS replied that after (my estimate) 50,000 rounds that the Junior was just getting broken in. They also sent me a new Reloader Special 4 at no charge, and without confirming that I even had a Junior! The old Junior is still being used by a friend of mine who loads more than I do, and the RS4 is handling all my single station needs. The "wobbly ram helps dies better align the cases" theory makes a lot of sense to me.

Sigh, guess I'll never have a reason to step up to a Rockchucker, and RCBS has given me a great reason NOT to. Many domestic manufacturers say that they must keep prices affordable for American consumers by pimping for the Chicoms. Did you ever notice that all the betrayal of American workers has resulted in zero price reductions?

Good on Lee for making an apparently sturdy American press.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude View Post
    Swagerman,

From what I remember, piston rings are spring steel. Whats funny, though, is the bearings inside the engine that the cam, crankshaft, and rods run on. They are a thin piece of metal with a thin layer of what basically amounts to medium tempered lead! See? Lead really does make the world go 'round!
    True, rugerdude, but just like boolits, moving parts need a thin film of Exxon, Alox, or Felix. (Notice how many good lubes have X in their name?)
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    True, rugerdude, but just like boolits, moving parts need a thin film of Exxon, Alox, or Felix. (Notice how many good lubes have X in their name?)
    ..........Ex-Lax has 2!!!! But is it a lube ?

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by 38-55 View Post
    Chargar,
    I believe the Lee classic cast is cast steel not cast iron.
    Calvin
    Calvin... According to the Lee Precision website, that press is cast iron

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Chargar,
    No disrespect or flame with this so... I read the same thing on their site and then saw that the material used was rails... Railroad rail has been steel since before 1900... I think the 'cast iron' part maybe a mistake made by their marketing department... Just an observation. Most companies that I deal with in the gun industry have a serve disconnect between their manufacturing departments and their marketing department.. Once again just an observation based on personal experience nothing more..
    Have as good 9-11 as you can
    Calvin

Banned

It's OK cause Chargar Charles is used to gittin' flamed on..

Calvin... I don't know anything but what I read on their web site and it says cast iron. If you want to resolve this send them an email and let us know how this works out.

Pat... As far as being the object of flames...I remember what my Grandfather said to me... "Son if you don't want to make waves, then don't every say nothing, don't ever do nothing and don't every be nothing". Getting "flamed on" goes with the turf, when a person is willing to express a view that is different from the majority.

Before I became a "meek and mild" preacher type, I was a rough and tumble Texas trial lawyer, so I can play the game either way.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Chargar,
    I just dragged my copy of lee's book out and he says it's cast iron... Their web site says it's cast iron... Why the foundry would take steel and make iron out of it is beyond me. It's really a trifling point. I do like mine as it's an affordable, stout press. Very smooth and I like the 'no errant primers' part alot. Sorry if I raised any hackles..
    Stay safe
    Calvin

Boolit Buddy

A little off the current track but back to the main subject of the press itself-

I just bought one of these, and it has two threaded holes in the raised boss on the top of the frame, just behind the die thread adapter. The picture on Lee's site doesn't show these, and the manual doesn't mention them. I'm just curious what these holes are intended for?

Thanks, Regan

Holes are for primer feeder:

Calvin/38-55 I send an email to the Lee Tech folks asking if the press was cast iron or steel. They told me the body is cast iron the rest of the parts are steel.. I suspect that rails went into the linkage.

You didn't raise any hackles..that is how these questions get answered.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finn45 View Post
    Holes are for primer feeder:

Is that the primer feeder that Lee says "Gives you a satisfying click"?..

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    That's the new Lee Safety Prime. Works as advertised. I've been happy with the one on my Lee Classic Turret.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12