Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rossi Ranch Hand (aka Mare's Leg) in 45 Colt

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Rossi Ranch Hand (aka Mare's Leg) in 45 Colt

I'm sure a few of you don't like this configuration, but I have a ball with it! I've got the "spin" down (unloaded of course, don't have a death wish) and I've got some brass to reload for it. I've shot some Winchester "Cowboy Loads" out of it and was rather disappointed as not only is it a very starved round, but it doesn't even expand the brass enough to seal the chamber (and thus gets powder stains on the outside of the case.) Started looking for recipes for it and seems like most are for low power rounds meant for older pistols. This is basically a short barreled rifle (with a stock too short to shoulder) with much beefier components than an older pistol. That being said I went on the hunt (no pun intended) for a decent load. I'm using the Lee TL452-230-TC mold and powder coating them (see this thread if you're interested) and putting them over 13 grains of Blue Dot (per Alliant's website for 230 gn projo's.)

Just tried a few out to see how they'd fire, and while they shoot nice, they still don't seal the chamber enough to prevent the gasses from coming back and worse yet, it's not even burning all the powder! From what I could tell it seems the powder is filling almost all of the available space.

Am I missing something..? While this isn't my first levergun (also have a Win model 64 from the 50's-60's I think?) it IS my first foray into reloading for one.

Boolit Master
    Well, the action is strong enough for the "ruger only" loads, buuuuuuut I'm not sure how far you want to go into that territory without being able to get a good handle on it.... (That's why I don't think I'll ever own one, I'd be too tempted to put a full stock on it......)

Dan

Boolit Master
    I looked long and hard at the Rossi Ranch Hand. Glad I did, because I then bought a full Rossi 92. My Ruger Blackhawks are handguns made to shoot with accuracy.

Half the year in Canada and the other half in Mexico
    I have both the Ranch Hand and 92 Trapper by Rossi in 45 Colt. I find Rossi's need .454 slugs if cast . Slug your bore for size; if she looks a bit rough lap it, But I would try a faster powder with those light for caliber bullets and a good firm crimp.
    I recommend red dot or green dot powders for plinking and Power Pistol for medium heavy loads; both with a regular primer.
    Both my Rossi's and my Winchester 94 trapper in 45 colt shoot clean accurate rounds with these powders.
    Your Blue Dot is the last step before 296 & 110 and likes pressure to burn clean but Blue Dot is quirky.

Doc.

Boolit Buddy
    Quirky is right! I've got a super-double-butt-load of Red Dot, and my slugs are already around .454 once I powder coat them. I've got some Cerrosafe equivalent, just need to do a chamber casting to see what it looks like. I can probably pick up some Green Dot to try too. I did find a recipe for IMR 800-X (which I already have) that's faster than Blue Dot but not as fast as Green Dot.

I guess I should pony up and get QuickLoad, would probably make it a lot easier to figure out a good load for these things.

Here's a pic of one of my powder coated rounds:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01202.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	65302