RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .41 Swiss reloading problems

Boolit Master
    I replaced the Lee Swiss .41 seater with a 3/8" and/or 10mm socket bit, and they fit perfectly, and actually work better than the seater that came with the die. With a little adjusting I might be on to something. What do ya think?

Banned
    Make a cartridge that has the finished form/size. Heat the socket bit slightly fill it with hotglue and screw it in until it touches the case/boolit in the seater die. Let it sit and remove excess glue. You now have a custom seater stem. Oh btw lightly oil the boolit for easy dissasembling

Boolit Master
    I was thinking of making the seater and stem one piece, instead of the "floater" it is now. I could drill out the inside of the socket and make it round to fit the tip of the bullet better, or make it larger than the tip and fill it with epoxy to form fit it to the bullet like you described.
    Or...I could go to my gun store and see if they had a used .44 mag seater.

I was just playing around with the seater. I tightened the stem all the way down onto the 10mm socket, so it didn't move. I adjusted the depth of the seating so that .54" of the bullet protruded from the case. The cases are 1.62", giving the cartridge an overall length of 2.16". At that length, they cycled through the magazine easily, which doesn't make sense.
    But it works.
    Last edited by Battis; 03-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Just a smidge short, but better than long & may suit your rifle perfect. Tippin' a wiskey to your Mcgyver move on the seater. Ok...maybe 2 whiskey. Hope she shoots like a dream. Keep us posted.
    Cheers
    The County

Boolit Master
    Headspace question...
    If I load a dummy round (bullet, primer, no power), and it chambers, and the primer fires, am I "good to go" as far as headspace?

Boolit Master
    It works.
    In this rifle, if the case length is kept around 1.60", the bullet protrudes .54", and the neck is taken down to .45" or less, it works (single shot). Well, 5 rounds did anyways. 45 grs of FFG and it kicked like an angry .22. Gonged the gong at 100 yds like Chuck Barris. Great gun.
    For what it's worth, this is the converted firing pin made from a broken RF pin. I wasn't sure how the single leg would work but it's fine. The decapping pin is held in place by non-permanent LockTite.

Boolit Mold
    Hi Battis,

I had the same bulging of the case mouth using a Lee die on .44-40 cases.
    I used a Factory Crimp Die and that eliminated the problem.
    In the Swiss Rifle Forum one person was using a Lee Factory Crimp die for his 10.4x38mm cartridges.
    The solution was a piece of pipe to hold the cartridge upside down and inserting the cartridges into the crimp die.
    The pipe length was adjusted so the crimp was in the correct place.
    A neat solution as Lee dies not make a Factory Crimp die for the Swiss cartridge.

Boolit Master
    After I expand the mouth with the 44 mag die, I seat the bullet, then use the Lee .41 Swiss resizing die (with the deprimer pin removed) to resize just the neck where the bulge is, and it works fine. I don't use the magazine so I don't crimp.