Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Game in Alaska

Boolit Master

Thanks, would love to do some salmon fishing and hiking during the summer.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Im headed to Anchorage in a couple of weeks to start a new job. How do you guys like it up there?? I have people try to talk me into going and people that are telling me I will regret it
    WHERE THE HELL IS FARMVILLE??

Boolit Master
    I don't care for Anchorage much as it's more or less like other large cities. If you can get off the road system then Ak is really neat. If you are stuck to the roads, there are too many people for the limited road system for me. You can't just take off on logging roads and such cause there aren't any. Boats and four wheelers help a lot but most everybody has those so you will have company. If you get to a Bush village, it's a whole different world where once you leave the village on snowmachine or fourwheeler you can wander for days and may not see anyone which is great unless you break down and need help. Just one word of caution. Once you leave the road system you are on your own and Ak does have teeth and is unforgiving for those not prepared. If you wander around bush Ak. Long enough and survive, you will have some stories to tell. I lived in Nome for 6 years and that alone was worth my thirty some year trip to Ak. Most folks either love it or hate it. I don't know you so I can't say what you will think but I'm glad I came. Good luck.

Banned

I was stationed at Fort Rich in the early '90's. Beautiful place and my oldest son was born there. I never did any hunting, I may have to go back someday.

We used to drive along Turnagain Arm to look for Beluga whales. Kind of odd, but I see way, way more bald eagles in Kansas than I ever did in Alaska, they nest along our big lake here in the winter time. Nice pictures, I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay there.

Boolit Master

I had a great time even though I didn't get any game this time. Got back to NC late last night.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Boolit Master

Nice pictures!

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr View Post
    Im headed to Anchorage in a couple of weeks to start a new job. How do you guys like it up there?? I have people try to talk me into going and people that are telling me I will regret it
    I like it just fine. The hunting and fishing opportunities are pretty unique. The winters are probably similar to what you get in Northern Idaho, so you should be fine in that respect. Why do people say you will regret it?
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

IEH,

I enjoyed my two trips there (Anchorage/Fairbanks). If it weren't for my horses I would consider moving in a heartbeat. Keeping livestock warm, exercise and fed thru the winter gets expensive there.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Boolit Bub
    I've been up here 25 years and just love it. Some people think it is like the African savannah with game everywhere but it is not, the land is more "sterile" than other northern states with much fewer animals per square mile. I usually head to the Dakotas every fall to hunt deer and birds after moose season. It is very remote with few people around when you get away from the roads. I can hop in a snowmachine and leave my house and go all day for many miles without seeing another person. It is a dangerous state though, I have numerous friends and acquaintances who have suffered premature deaths due to accidents. You will either love it or hate it.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    Its the lack of daylight in the winter that does it for alot of people. Can lead to depression, also more men than women. Could be a problem if your single

In Remembrance
    Plenty of women to go around, you just have to learn to share. lol

Stationed at Wainwright in '70-'71 ... was beautiful back then!!

Boolit Master

Did notice that the women are called tundra wookies (those that you shack up for the long winters)

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

I have two horses up here and it can get $$, next time you are up send a message out to the masses that your looking to hunt there are many of us that i'm sure would share our hunting/fishing spots with you. ( or blind fold you and drive you out, i find its easier to fly... even if you know its hard getting there ) I was just out shooting rabbits last week ( does seem like there are fewer this year ), i'm going to see how the spring ice is still for some fishing this week. one item to note... shoot grouse with a .22 that way you don't need to find the shot with your teeth. the picture with the river is eagle river, there are many a great spots farther back in the valley...

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    Some people think it is like the African savannah with game everywhere but it is not...
    Agreed. Many times I've sat on a high point and glassed many square miles of mountains and/or tundra and been totally amazed that not a living creature could be seen.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Plenty of women to go around, you just have to learn to share. lol
    You don't loose your woman, you just loose your place in line.

yeah there are fewer beauty pageants up here, but more women who don't mind cleaning fish, and I’m ashamed to say my other half skins out caribou mounts faster and better then I do. . . there are drawbacks to alaska life... it snowed yesterday ( not sure why every one is so upset about that ) and in a few more weeks it will be tourist season. ( that does suck ! ) but between the fishing flying and hunting there is no better place to be...
    as for the women ( when i was single ) its kind of like the DMV... I guess i'm just upset becasue i was # 46524565....... it was a long dam wait !

Boolit Grand Master

That yote is gorgeous. Nice pics.

Boolit Mold
    As a young marine I was told only 2 things fell from the sky...I guess I was a fool. That is some great country up there. Love the photo's.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice pics. You mention a Smith, but show us a picture of a Blackhawk. Either way you were well armed. I have been to Alaska twice doing contract work for a total of 1.5 years. Last was 9/2012 to 1/11/2013 in Barrow, Alaska. I had fun! As for the darkness-take vitamin D3 supplements and you be good to go. Alaska is what you make of it. If you crave big cities then stay home. I believe Anchorage is the biggest city in Ak. As such there are some of the same amenities of the lower 48. Prices are higher throughout Ak. Some foods they have there you won't find any other place in America. Like reindeer meat, eel (I've never seen that in the lower 48), she-fish (not in the stores) etc.
    LT