RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me out guys, I am about to buy a Makarov.

Boolit Bub

Help me out guys, I am about to buy a Makarov.

Ok, I have had my eyes on this makarov at the local shop, and today I visited a new shop, and this guy has a different variant.
    Now I am presented with two choices, and one of them is a $30 difference.
    I am new to the forum and new to fire arms, and this is my first pistol purchase.

1. Makarov -East Germany $279.tax -What I originally had my sights on.
    2. Russian Makarov. -$250.tax -New gun I discovered today.
    I am displaying two exact pictures of the options..

-1st makarov, the East Germany make.
    comes with two mags, and had a rubber grip attached to the original handle -wear and tear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	63926
    -The 2nd Makarov, just says strait up: Russian Makarov, but it has adjustable sights.
    comes with 2 mags, the original Leather pouch-very clean, almost no wear and tear marks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taa7368.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	63927

I do not like the idea of the adjustable sights because it may snag on something if concealed,
    and I would hate to constantly adjust the sights if I bump it too often.
    Are adjustable sights a problem?
    However, due to the condition of the "Russian" makarov, I feel that I would be passing up a HUGE deal+collectors Item, since the Russain Makarov is being sold with its original holster at a cheaper price.
    Let me know what you think.
    Ill be purchasing soon, if I wait too long, I may just be forced to choose if someone buys one of them.

Boolit Buddy

I have the East German one and I like it. No problems. I got it when they were first available. At the time one could find barrels to replace the 9x18 with a 380 barrel for which ammo was much more available. The swap presents no feeding or other problems. The two cartridges apparently have comparable ballistics. I still have the vise thingy to remove the barrel and would loan it to you should you want to do the same conversion.

Boolit Master
    They imported the Russian ones by the tens of thousands, so I'm not sure you will ever see any collectors value, so I wouldn't let that be a consideration. The adjustable sights on the Russian are nice for shooting, but not the most robust design for carry. FWIW, I just bought a like new Russian, with 2 mags for $200. I considered it a good deal, and the $250 price tag the one you are looking at seems fair to me.

Boolit Master
    They are both quite nice. The East German models are "collectible" while the Russian models are less so. If myou're looking for just a "shooter" the Russian will work quite well. The East Germans shoot well too, but command a slight premium. $29 for the difference is not much. BTW, the .360" bullet in the Makarov round is a bit "peppier" than the .380, but nothing that can't be eclipsed by a good Buffalo Bore load in the .355" dia. .380.

The choice is yours.

Scott

Boolit Bub
    Thankyou very much for rhw comments.
    I do intent to have the gun for concealed carry/personal defense.
    The adjustable sights where a problem for me, but overall was the "condition" of the russian mak, it has NO wear and tear on it.
    Im really not sure at this point, I would side for the russian one just to save money.

However, the east germany looks like it would "fit" me better, especially since it has no adjustable sights.
    I guess we will see when the time comes, I still gotta wait untill april to make a purchase.

I have a Russian with adjustable sights - the sights hold well enough but for Everyday CCW I'd go with the fixed original sights.
    From side by side examination of the East German vs my Russian, I would say the East German's did better work (fewer tool marks internally).

Either will work just fine - I would advise getting the stronger recoil spring from Wolff springs it does help with the muzzle flip when the slide gets to the end of it's travel.
    And yes the 9x18 Makarov is more powerful than the .380 ACP, I also got the Pierce Rubber Grips which help me with control

A good website for future Mak owner
    http://www.makarov.com/

john hayslip - would you consider taking some good pictures and measurements of your barrel press as I was thinking about
    picking up a 380 barrel for my Mak as the surplus ammo seems to be becoming an iffy thing. Or most ammo is I guess

Boolit Master

I've owned a Russian civilian IJ70 .380 acp and I currently own an East German Mak 9x18mm.

Nothing wrong with the Russian IJ70. Shot fine. But as you say the adjustable rear sight is rather bulky. I didn't like it for that reason so I got rid of it and got the East German Mak which I really like. I'd say get the East German Mak.

I'm also very partial to my Beretta m/1934 .380 acp.

Recent video I thought might be of interest.

Boolit Master
    I had a Russian IJ-70 .380 with the adjustable sights, but I used it for target practice and small game hunting. It was always a very accurate and very reliable little gun, and I did carry it concealed a few times, and would again if I hadn't sold it. The only 2 reasons I sold it was because I realized that I wasn't doing anything anything with it that I couldn't do with a .22 LR, and that it had a 2/3rds unsupported chamber and brass was only good for 2 reloads before it would crack, so feeding it was expensive even when casting and then loading my own. Now I hope mine was just a oddity as I haven't heard thos complaint from other Makarov owners, and I would buy another knowing what to look for now, but the one I had ate too much brass so it went down the road.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Bub
    Thankyou guys, I think I have settled for the East German mak.
    I just hope nobody picks it up, I dont have the cash on hand this moment, but when I do it better still be there in the display case.

Boolit Master

Both are good pistols bit the East German has some history as it was issued as a police sidearm. The Russian is commercial manufacture for import. In my experience the East German version is usually a little better finished and smoother, but either would do you well. Be aware that the barrel dimensions usually are larger than the nominal .363. My East German slugged .364+ and the Russian was .365+. Not a big deal, just don't reduce your cast boolits too much. They are very accurate and easy to shoot.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I have the Hungarian version with fixed sites. That round is awesome in that pistol, its a perfect fit IMHO. The fixed sites were a bit low with 109s but dead on with 90g bullets. Its heavier than new pocket pistols but decocks, SA/DA, nice design and shoots every time.

I wouldnt worry about collectors value, its a good practical pistol. FYI I stopped shooting the 109g rounds didnt like the slap, lots of folks who want to shoot them replace the recoil spring from WOLF.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The adjustable may be overkill on these little guns, but can be changed easy enough. I was shooting my PA63 yesterday at 35 yards, and was hitting well enough to have given a bad guy a bad day.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Specifically between the two , I'd pick the E. German. Considered strictly as a pragmatic CCW / SD pistol rather than an interesting semi-collectable , there are a dozen better choices.

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago at my local range I watched a rather large German shoot tiny groups at 7 yards with an East German Mak. Then he did almost as well at 15 and 25 yards. Naturally I sought to speak with him. He had just bought the pistol at a gun show that same day for $200 and knew he had gotten a bargain. As good fortune would have it I lucked into an even better deal on an East German Mak at $150 a few months later. Sadly I am not anywhere the shot that German fellow is, wherever he may be. Still, it is a much favored among my collection.

Boolit Buddy
    My Mak and target. 98gr. LRN and 3.7 gr. of Unique.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Mak.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	64367

Boolit Master
    I've owned a couple Russian IJ 70 pistols...they are perfectly good pistols..reliable and accurate. I still own one but hardly ever shoot it.

I remember when these hit it big in the late 80's/early 90's...I bought my first Makarov and some Chinese mil-surp ammo...the Russian pistol would run reliably on the Chinese ammo...but the ammo had so little power it would hardly penetrate 1/4" plywood target board!!..many bullets either sticking in the wood or some bouncing off!

I wasn't real impressed with the 9x18 mak round until I got some better ammo. Back then 9x18 Makarov ammo could be tough to find too.

Ammo shouldn't be an issue these days

Hands down on the E. Ger providing its in decent shape... they ARE more sought after. Some bring high $$$$. The only thing that comes to question is its over all condition - for that price. The E. Germans that I've seen have been in the $350 - $400 range and up.

Don't have the money..... by all means go Lay-a-way and tie it up.

If you plan on reloading for it, CAUTION ! do not hot rod it. They are of Blowback design, meaning keep it 1000 fps or less, in other words.

Run now.....! And Lay-it-away (the one of your choice - that is)

Either way, you'll never lose any money on them should you ever decide to sell.

Cheers
    Sprue ™

Boolit Buddy
    Agree with Sprue. Run. If you are lucky it will still be there for you to put on layaway. I don't have a second E. German gun pistol because one has not shown up at my LGS. I have a standing request with one of the salesmen to call me if one shows up and is not immediately grabbed by another one of the regulars.

Boolit Master

I also agree with Sprue. I was in my lgs the other day and laid away a nice Bulgarian Mak for the princely sum of $200. I knew it would be gone shortly if I didn't. Now to figure out how to shoot three Maks at once . . .
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"