Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: designing a P.P. hunting boolet

Boolit Master
    I wasn't trying to improve exterior ballistics with the boat tail; just wondering if it would be easier to fold the patch to conform to it, rather than making the 90 degree fold on a plain base slug. Maybe not worth dealing with. Anyway, what it sounds like is this: with the acww there is no real advantage to having a flat meplat vs a round nose or slightly pointed nose on a hunting boolet; at least as far as expansion is concerned. I realize the advantage of the improved trajectory with a more streamlined ogive; but I'd trade a flatter trajectory for expansion, if it is necessary to do so. Hogs around here are kind of ignert, and can be snuck up on if you are quiet.

My interest in a shaped boolit base is in preserving the boolit trailing edge. I've had uneven base cupping and trailing edge feathering and for that reason I've experimented a bit with a rebated and chamfered base. I like the rebated base for paper patching as I can terminate the patch in the rebate (very small rebate), leaving the base fully exposed. It's a style I rather like and will be doing more test on it as time permits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W748 VERSUS AR2209 40gr 012.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	64132

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    303Guy

This looks like an excellent idea! No excess patch to fold under the base... I take it you are gluing the tip of the patch to itself? Did you try a boat tail before the rebated base?

Yes, I'm gluing the trailing corner tip. I haven't tried a boat tail, no. I'm thinking of it for a smooth side plain cast boolit. Not a large boat tail, just enough to prevent trailing edge failure. I figure if the glued bit is small enough it would be no different to any other patch fragment. I aim however, is to wet wrap with a paper that glues to itself. I did have such a paper once but have lost it. Such papers do exist. This one was a lined notepad paper. I bought an A4 pad today to try out. Wet wrapping is much quicker and less strain on the fingers. Dry wrapping requires a good deal of twisting to pull up tight.

I actually tried the tail-less patch to prevent tail rings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRITS 157 28 W748 008.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	64194

Boolit Master
    Never done it, but Mr. Matthews discussed using egg white with water as patch sticky. Gtek

I have tried paper glue - the old style - diluted in the water. It works OK but is hard to find. I don't like the modern glues because they leave a plastic film which may or may not be a problem. I'm going to try the dilute glue trick again.

I'm also planing to try a chamfered base boolit to see how it works with trailing edge damage on a smooth sided boolit now that my lathe is operational again. Also a cup base.

Boolit Master
    I am in the process of building myself a multi use PP mold set up with change out heads per se ranging from .3005" to ..323" diam. Smooth side, non-taper, 90 tail, butt pour with .125" ejector rod to push out with meplats running between .125" to <.150". I read somewhere that optimum meplat was 70%-73%, I do not know. Wanting to jump into this very hard and the expense of one ea. mold, I can spin my lathes for a while @ a buck eighty a pop by the time one gets to the door. The way I am designing it is to cut a carbide with yet to be determined ogive held on tool post and finish ID from 90+ drilled hole. All will be enveloped in 1 1/2" round stock x 1 1/4" length mild with removable ejector assembly attached to bottom. If it gets off the pad but does not reach orbit I will have some really sweet slug makers for whatever. Gtek

Interesting. I'm planning on a composite mold with base shank, taper middle, slight taper nose shank and nose section. I'm planning on a nose pour base eject. However, the idea of a base pour, base eject is still on the cards.

Boolit Master
    In the mind I initially wanted a nose pour with top and bottom swing plates attached like my way nice/way expensive pieces but that hangs you into one and only on length. I thought about it and decided to base pour and make first one small X-Y internal with standardized exterior dimensions and a .125 meplat compromise. If I do well with this and things work, make another ejector assy for the .400+ stuff. Drop a couple for weight check and measure with my alloy. Little math guessing and throw back in lathe for tuning of OD and weight. First one I am shooting for .3005" at 180 gr.ish The initial thought going into this was I could make a PP boolit for anything in the house .300"- to whatever, unscrew sprue plate (buy more if works), handle, ejector assy and set up on another block. Unfortunatly, I know with my Deutshchland/OCD genetics I understand it will probably cost a lot, be overthunk, take a long time, and be heavy when I am done. Lived with it for almost 52 years and seems normal to me, Mrs. sometimes not so much! Gtek