Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking About Guns

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Geez. I feel like I should be jamming out a ridonkulously long 5 paragraph order. The bane of every Infantryman's existence...
    Dang it. Now SMEAC got back in my head. Next I'll be trying to remember MOOSEMUSS .
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A fellow starting out on a budget could do lots worse than to get a pair of Ruger 4-5/8" convertible single-action revolvers, one in .357/9mm, and the other in .45 Colt/ACP. That pair can use lots of different kinds of ammo.

Then an H&R Handi Rifle with barrels in .357, .45 Colt, and a shotgun barrel, either 12-ga. or 20-ga. Again, to exploit common ammo.

Then get a sturdy bolt-action, scoped .30 cal. "deer rifle" in whatever caliber is popular in your area. .30-'06, .308, makes no difference. As long as you can pick up brass for free at the DNR rifle range.

Then get a battle rifle in the same caliber as your deer rifle and quit. Spend the rest of your money on other preps, like food, tools and supplies.

You can make your own black powder, but making primers for your cartridges could be a problem. Might have to go to a flintlock.

Boolit Buddy

In thinking about it, I can store a LOT of primers in the space that would be occupied by the needed chemicals required to make my own black powder. Back powder is fine, I shoot it regularly in several guns, but for stockpiles, I prefer smokeless. You get a lot more power in a smaller volume of smokeless than you do with black powder. Also, to those planning to make their own during a crisis, the chain of supply is going to be broken down for the chemicals to make it the same as it will be for everything else. Unless you can mine your own chemicals, you'll be in the same boat as the rest of us. (charcoal being the only easily produced chemical component)

Boolit Buddy

I guess what I'm saying is I find it more prudent to stockpile ahead of time. I'm a shooter, and I'll use it up anyhow. I just try to replace the stuff as I use it up. It also allows you to adapt to varying trends. By that I mean for example, 22LR has been in short supply for quite a while now. I have a reasonable supply on hand, but since I can't currently replace it at this time, I've been shooting other calibers, and using components that I CAN replace at the current time. I've also made changes in the powders I use for reloading, based on what's available currently. As the situation changes, adaptations should be made.

Boolit Man
    sulfer isn't hard to come by, just find yourself a volcanically active area like Mt St Helens, any hot springs, the entirety of yellowstone...
    Charcoal is easy enough to make yourself.
    Salt peter can be extracted from piss, and was for a very long time. People used to piss in jars and leave it on their doorstep to sell to the local blackpowder manufacturers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12