WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RotoMetals changes the rules????

Boolit Master
    Rotometal, just sell ingots and weigh the total amount. I would not want to mess with cutting either if I was in your shoes.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I was set to order 2000 lbs a while back when I saw the change in pricing from lb to ingot. I was not pleased with the obvious "scam" so I searched out another supplier and will place my order there.

So they lost a $3500 sale due to stupidity or maybe arrogance. What kind of process control do they have if they produced ingots with that much variation or a scale??? I am not going to bitch about being 5 lbs off a 2000 lb order but it would suck to get shorted 100+ lbs. And if they cannot invest in doing it right, the proper thing to do is to sell at the minimum weight and "give away" the added product in ingots than exceed the minimum. In fact, there may be legal requirement to do so.

Now I see they have decided to weigh orders over 500 lbs and by throwing in one ingot they will get within 1% of order quantity. Too late for my business.
    I'm sorry, not trying to be a jerk but have you ever actually purchased anything from them and seen how things work out? Same goes for anyone else that has only though about purchasing anything from them and posted in this thread anyway.

Ordering by number of ingots and paying by the pound makes the most sense to me but maybe that's not feasible, I have no idea.

I'll keep buying from them. They're close to me, have good product selection, fast shipping, are a sponsor here, and care enough to address the issue and post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Levant View Post
    At $2.70 to 3.00+ for a commodity trading at 1.01 a pound, their pricing is hard to take.
    If you know of an online store where I can go right now and order up lead ingots for a dollar a pound please lets hear it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kerreckt View Post
    I received an order from Rotometals which was priced by the pound and I saw the note that it was sold by the bar. I ordered 6lbs. when I received 4lbs 2oz. I emailed them that they had shorted me 1lb 14oz. They have sent me the difference. I told them if it is priced by the pound I don't care how many bars they must send to fill the order. I bought it by the pound it doesn't matter how many bars they must send to equal 6lbs. I am buying pounds.
    As mentioned in this post. I emailed them when my order was short of the 6lbs. I paid for and they sent me the balance no questions asked. I received the balance within 3 days and I live in VA. With this in mind I don't understand what the problem is.

In Remembrance

I'm shocked that they would ever have been cutting lead ingots. That's way above what I would have expected.

A simple, "We'll ship the closest to your ordered weight, in random ingots, and charge you for the actual weight of the shipment" would have made more sense.
    That way, they would never have had to cut any lead at all.

I do see a glitch in the ordering system, however, with that actual weight system, depending on how they process credit cards. The customer authorizes specific amount of money to be charged to their card, at the time of "purchase"....... Roto Metals would also have to have a way of dealing with that. Ideas? I don't know a blooming thing about credit card companies, relative to this sort of thing.

They sell some metals which are MUCH MORE expensive than lead, and perhaps they continue to cut those. I dunno. But, I am betting that they weigh every single shipment of those more expensive metals. So, weighing isn't the issue; it was the cutting of the lower cost lead (less profitable to do).

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Credit card thing isn't really a problem, they get authorized for amount A and charge B as long as B < A. Midway does it all the time when there is a backorder or something doesn't ship right away.

Boolit Master
    I was set to order 2000 lbs a while back when I saw the change in pricing from lb to ingot. I was not pleased with the obvious "scam" so I searched out another supplier and will place my order there. Price seemed good too:

on 2000# 2/6 1.70/lb + 210.00 in shipping

So they lost a $3500 sale due to stupidity or maybe arrogance. What kind of process control do they have if they produced ingots with that much variation or a scale??? I am not going to bitch about being 5 lbs off a 2000 lb order but it would suck to get shorted 100+ lbs. And if they cannot invest in doing it right, the proper thing to do is to sell at the minimum weight and "give away" the added product in ingots than exceed the minimum. In fact, there may be legal requirement to do so.

Now I see they have decided to weigh orders over 500 lbs and by throwing in one ingot they will get within 1% of order quantity. Too late for my business.

Don
    Congratulations???...........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post
    I understand not cutting ingots, for reasons of time as well as material lost to 'kerf'. However, I do not understand not weighing EVERY order. Pack it by the ingot, but charge by the pound. Let everyone know they may get 47 lbs or 53 lbs when they order however many ingots it takes to average 50lbs, but charge for the 47 or 53 or whatever it actually weighs. That is the only fair thing to do. When people FEEL like they are being cheated (whether they are or not) they will go somewhere else. Are you going to save enough money on NOT weighing to cover the loss of business? What about loss of reputation? Bad news travels fast (And far, in these modern times). I'm new to casting and have not yet ordered any alloy from Rotometals, but I have checked out the website on many ocassions and have been contemplating placing an order, but this thread has me reconsidering.
    When you find another vendor the offers what Rotometals does, and at a better price including shipping please let us know...

OK???

Thanks!....

Boolit Buddy

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers there, Nrut.

OK???

Sorry!....

Boolit Man
    I just received my 20 ingots / 100 lbs order from Rotometals today. The order weighed in at 99.5 lbs. on my shipping scale, which I am sure could easily be off by a 1/2 lb. at that weight. As usual I am completely satisfied with their service, prices, and customer care.

Now its time to make the boolits!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nrut.

Price of 2/6 alloy from Rotometals - 2000 lb - $5440 shipping included - $2.72/lb
    Price of 2/6 alloy from another supplier (Mayco) - $3610 shipping included - $1.81/lb

If buying 50-100 lbs at a time, maybe Rotometals would work out to be less expensive. But I have found a less expensive source for my needs - large quantity shipped to MI.

The "funny" part is I was ready to buy from Rotometals due to their good reputation from people on this site like you who speak highly of them. When I saw they were selling by the ingot (4.5-5.5 lb) I was concerned and sought out another source. BTW, I ordered 2000 lbs so I am not making this up - I saved over $1,800!!!

The point is Rotometals DID screw up. They have changed their ways after all the negative feedback - BUT THEY STILL LOST THE SALE!!

In fairness, they have responded and "done the right thing" moving forward - BUT THEY STILL LOST THE SALE!!

And now, forum members have another company to "shop" - and Rotometals could lose more sales. All from one poor decision.

Anyway, I have taken the "risk" of trying out Mayco. If I have any problems I will report back to the forum.

I never called Rotometals to see if my order could be short (or over) by as much as 10%. After looking at the savings from Mayco, there was no point. I have never purchased from Rotometals and have no loyalty to them. I am not associated with Mayco - just a new customer with $1800 more to spend on other goodies.

And Nrut, thanks for your "congratulations"!!! It is rare to be able to save over 33% buying a shooting related commodity these days.

Don

PS - To Moderators - I realize Rotometals is a sponsor (supporter?). If I have stepped over the line by identifying another supplier by name. Please blank out the name "Mayco". I had not mentioned Mayco in my first post for this reason, but Nrut asked in post 67 if there was lower cost supplier so I wanted to address his question.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Intresting ! A company we liked going goobermint on US. More cost, less value.

BvT

Boolit Bub
    I ordered 25 -1/20 ingots ( 125 lbs ) on Monday morning and they arrived today Friday ,via USPS.

I weighed the ingots on a postal scale , 3 at a time , and the total net weight was 127 lbs.

I am very happy with Rotometals .
    Last edited by ffg; 03-23-2013 at 05:17 AM.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
    Patrick Henry

Nrut.

Price of 2/6 alloy from Rotometals - 2000 lb - $5440 shipping included - $2.72/lb
    Price of 2/6 alloy from another supplier (Mayco) - $3610 shipping included - $1.81/lb

If buying 50-100 lbs at a time, maybe Rotometals would work out to be less expensive. But I have found a less expensive source for my needs - large quantity shipped to MI.

The "funny" part is I was ready to buy from Rotometals due to their good reputation from people on this site like you who speak highly of them. When I saw they were selling by the ingot (4.5-5.5 lb) I was concerned and sought out another source. BTW, I ordered 2000 lbs so I am not making this up - I saved over $1,800!!!

The point is Rotometals DID screw up. They have changed their ways after all the negative feedback - BUT THEY STILL LOST THE SALE!!

In fairness, they have responded and "done the right thing" moving forward - BUT THEY STILL LOST THE SALE!!

And now, forum members have another company to "shop" - and Rotometals could lose more sales. All from one poor decision.

Anyway, I have taken the "risk" of trying out Mayco. If I have any problems I will report back to the forum.

I never called Rotometals to see if my order could be short (or over) by as much as 10%. After looking at the savings from Mayco, there was no point. I have never purchased from Rotometals and have no loyalty to them. I am not associated with Mayco - just a new customer with $1800 more to spend on other goodies.

And Nrut, thanks for your "congratulations"!!! It is rare to be able to save over 33% buying a shooting related commodity these days.

Don

PS - To Moderators - I realize Rotometals is a sponsor (supporter?). If I have stepped over the line by identifying another supplier by name. Please blank out the name "Mayco". I had not mentioned Mayco in my first post for this reason, but Nrut asked in post 67 if there was lower cost supplier so I wanted to address his question.
    I e-mail Mayco for a price on their metal (Lyman #2) here is their response.

No we do not ship USPS
    on 50# of material you are looking at 150.00
    plus the shipping to your location

Thanks and have a great day

Robyn Richardson
    Mayco Industries
    618-798-6112 - Phone
    618-798-6143 - fax
    866-618-7468 - toll free
    Robyn@Maycoindustries.com

I e-mailed them back and ask if they ship USPS on any amount. They said they only ship UPS or FedX.
    Last edited by billdean; 03-25-2013 at 03:16 PM.

I received my order from RotoMetals today. I ordered 8 bars or 40 lbs. I received 9 bars for a total weight of 42.4 lbs. Thank You RotoMetals for your insurance of my order.

This may be slightly OT, but I have been urked since I started to look for lead at the price Kitco lists at the top of the forum, and then seeing the price that we have to pay for it. I contacted a local lead supplier who sells shielding for medical purposes, like walls, etc. I told him what I was looking for, bricks of lead, and he said that he'd send me a quote. I mentioned that I hoped it would be a lot more in line with what I see the spot price to be than what we've been seeing around here, and he told me that the price above isn't the true market value. I said Huh? and he explained to me that some friggin investment company had basically cornered the market in physical lead, and have it locked up in warehouses around the country. He explained that they are into it for a higher price than it is currently listed at on Kitco, and that they are holding on to it to drive the price higher. That's enuf to p*ss off the Pope...

The quote he gave me was 20 pcs 25# lead ingot: $47.50 each delivered - Total delivered price: $950.00 That works out to $1.90 a lb including delivery. One thing I mentioned to him when I replied to his quote was "Interesting that the spot market price isn't reflective of the actual pricing, because any idiot around the world who has lead would be sending it here to sell, if the price is almost 100% higher than they can get it elsewhere. At least that's supposedly how a free market system is supposed to work. Not blaming you, of course, you're just the messenger." Maybe the SEC should take a look into it.. Grrr...

I just purchased 10lbs of tin from Rotometals. It is still priced per pound with free shipping over 99.00. Each little 1 inch long piece in picture weighs slightly under 2ozs and it takes ten of these to make 1 pound. I got a discounted price for buying 10 lbs. Buying it this way was cheaper than buying by the ingot. I paid $17.57 per pound (10 lbs @ $175.70). So i have roughly 100 pieces of tin in picture @ $1.75 per piece. I received the 10 lb order this week, but they just recently increased minimum to 15 lbs to receive discount.
    http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/tinhighgradepcs.htm

Price of metals (tin) just keeps going up. So i thought this price was not TOO bad.
    Last edited by detox; 03-28-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    I just purchased 10lbs of tin from Rotometals. It is still priced per pound with free shipping over 99.00. Each little 1 inch long piece in picture weighs slightly under 2ozs and it takes ten of these to make 1 pound. I got a discounted price for buying 10 lbs. Buying it this way was cheaper than buying by the ingot. I paid $17.57 per pound (10 lbs @ $175.70). So i have roughly 100 pieces of tin in picture @ $1.75 per piece. I received the 10 lb order this week, but they just recently increased minimum to 15 lbs to receive discount.
    http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/tinhighgradepcs.htm

Price of metals (tin) just keeps going up. So i thought this price was not TOO bad.
    I thought you were showing off some new bullet at first. They're such pretty little ingots.

You may want to try locating some pewter at yard sale and flee markets. I think you might get a better price in the long run.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    I never trust companies that change things because of implied customer request. It's usually a lie.
    A friend of mine buys those stupid lunchables for for work.
    Not too long ago he noticed that the meat portion had been noticeably reduced.
    He sent them an email ******** about it.
    They said that's what customers wanted.

Right that's what I want too, less product for more money.

Son of a beetch! There's just too much meat in my package!!!!

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    After working a bunch of pure lead into ingots, I decided to give these guys a try on their 70-30. I ordered 25 lbs. It should arrive today. I'll post the weight when it does.

ETA: weighed in @25lbs
    Last edited by BBQJOE; 04-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BRobertson View Post
    I emailed them when this subject was first posted, and refered him to the thread

I got a reply from Ryan immediately

He said to put " Castboolits Friend weight check" in the comments section on your order, and he would personally check the order, and check weights and add a little extra.

They are trying to do the right thing

Bob
    I put that and still got 2% under weight bars, but that was over 2 bars of superhard. I can say service and packing was excellent.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast