WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RotoMetals changes the rules????

Boolit Master

RotoMetals changes the rules????

RotoMetals alloy, 20/1, used to be $2.99 a pound, free shipping over $99.

But they just changed the rules and now it is only sold by the "bar" and it is $15.95 and the bars "will average 4.5-5.5 Pounds each". So it could be anywhere from $3.54 - $2.90 a pound.

Not sure I'm a fan of this new pricing method.....

What say you?
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    Not sure when they changed to by the bar but not really new. I agree price should be by the pound. Reviews posted there by some show they always get less than they paid for. I have considerd ordering some Hardball, some Lino and some other alloys but paying for 10 bars (50#) and getting 46 much less 42 would really suck big time. If alloys keep going up one will have to be commerical to cast fort less that jacketed. One of my sources now sells JHP for 1 cent. each above a high qualit cast of same weight and the cast is TC not HP.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Buddy
    I think this is a great idea....magnificent way to do business. They can send me 100 lbs. of 20-1 and I'll either mail them a check for $275 or $350...or maybe somewhere in between. Just depends on how my pen strokes that day. I'm willing to bet that THEY wouldn't think this was a fair way to do business.

Too bad to...I'd just convinced myself that buying some tin from them was a pretty good idea and had planned on buying some 20-1 to try out and get the free shipping.

Boolit Master
    They say:

"Please note, by Popular demand, We now only sell by the Full ingot and no longer by the pound"

by popular demand? No doubt!
    ph4570

In Remembrance

I think what Roto Metals is saying is that if you order ONE POUND.... the chances that they would have a single ingot that weighed exactly a pound would be slim and none.

Rather than them shipping out FREE metal (rounded up) to everyone, they will now charge you for the ACTUAL weight, closest to what you ordered.

So, if you order 50 pounds, and their ingots add up to 52 pounds, you will pay for 52 pounds. They are not going to be slicing up ingots for the sake of making exact weights.

Your weight per pound hasn't changed. Just the NET total of what you ordered might get adjusted slightly, to suit the actual weight of ingots.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    They say:

"Please note, by Popular demand, We now only sell by the Full ingot and no longer by the pound"

by popular demand? No doubt!
    I'm sure it was popular with their bean counters.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Duke -- you may be correct but that's sure not the way I read it.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Use link and read second review

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...stingalloy.htm

Lead Order September 12, 2012
    Reviewer: KIRK DICKEY from CLERMONT, FL United States
    Very clean lead and super fast shipping. Order was for 30 lbs. but received 27-1/2 lbs. This was the second time I have ordered from Rotometals and all types of lead are always short from what was ordered.

He orderd 30 pounds (6 ingots) paid for 30 and received 27.5 . That is 8.4% less alloy than he ordered/ paid for.

I would guess if someone here sold a member 50 pounds of WW or range lead at $1 per pound and they received only 46 pounds they would feel slighted.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master

They're selling by quantity, not weight. The more bars you order the greater the chance you end up paying more per pound. No way I'd order if the weight variation is one pound per bar. That's around a 20% difference in weight per bar. That's unacceptable for me. It seems like they need to weigh the bars and if the weight goes over what you ordered you will be charged accordingly. Or give you the option of taking one bar off the order. I know this is more work for all involved. But it's a proper business practice that will keep customers happy and coming back.

I was considering buying half a ton. That works out to 200 bars if they were 5#s each. That could be how they pull them. Now let's say all 200 are half a pound shy. That means I would loose 100#s for a 10% loss in weight for my order. I also know it could go the other way and I could end up with 10% more. They shouldn't have to eat that loss just like I shouldn't have to.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what it seems like to me.

Banned

don't they have a scale?
    if it works out like duke shows i'd be fine with that and understand why.
    but just shipping ingots per a price seems wrong.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That means I would loose 100#s for a 10% loss in weight for my order. I also know it could go the other way and I could end up with 10% more.
    Uh, don't think I would hold my breath for it to work out in my favor. I was put off from ordering from them when I read the policy as well.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Great, I was just getting ready to place a order with them. I don't mind paying for actual weight but I will not pay for volume. I will find lead the old fashioned way if they continue this policy.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Price per ingot has gone up since my first order by a buck on some alloys.

First order was small. Bought 2 Hardball ingots at $14.45 each. One weighed 4.42 lbs and the other was 4.99 for a total of 9.41 lbs. With a supposed average of 5 lbs at the price I paid per ingot that would make it $2.89 a lb. I received 6% less than their stated average. $3.07 a lb. Hardball today is $15.45 each, $3.09 lb if they weigh 5 lbs. Honestly whoever stuck that 4.42 one in a box had to of known it was not even close to 5. 6% off is pretty bad for 2 ingots.

Being the sucker I am to give someone another chance I placed another larger order today, 40 lbs of various alloys.

I'd love to hear if anyone has ever received an ingot that was over 5 lbs. I have this feeling I got lucky with the 4.99 lb one.

Duke if your saying that they adjust your final order price for the actual weights of the ingots they grab that's not correct. If that's not what your saying then I apologize. What I'm seeing is your paying price per ingot and whatever they happen to weigh is what they weigh.
    Last edited by Kull; 03-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Boolit Master

Kull,

Please update this thread when your order arrives.
    I'll be interested in hearing how much alloy you really get.
    Here's to hoping you really get 40 pounds...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I see they changed their Tin ingots to ~1 pound ingots.

I've ordered tin from them twice, both times I ordered over 99 dollars worth to get the free shipping. In both orders they cut down big bars to get the correct weight. Both times I received a bit more than what I should, they fudged it in my favor.

Now it looks like they've changed their policy so that they do not have to chop bars down and weigh each order. I can guarantee this was not done by "popular demand" of their customers. I'm going to wait a bit before I make another order with them to see how this shakes out. I suggest to those that do buy from them with this new policy to weigh each ingot and record it. Their add makes you believe that there is a variance in the pore, some more, some less but you should average out. If this is the case fine. If however, you get 5 ingots that are all short then there is dirty dealing going on IMO. I'd request a refund for the shortage. If they fail to make good file a BBB complaint for shorting you and false advertising.

Boolit Master
    It is not false advertising if they weight 4-1/2 pounds each just not a 5 pound each average.

Guess instead of looking at a $15 ingot being 5 pound or $3 per pound we should look at it as $15 for 4-1/2 or $3.33 per pound and hope to get lucky and get some extra for free.
    NRA Patron Member

On Heaven's Range

I have "100" lb waiting at the PO to pick up Monday, will weigh them out and post what I get.

Mr Ed
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 tons of lead so i don't need there lead.i have 2 tons from a news paper printer.i don't know why they think they need to rip us off.I for one will not forget them doing it.
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Grand Master

The last I will add to this thread is that if they want to sell by the bar. They all better weigh within 1% of a given weight. So if the bar is supposed to weigh 5#s it should be w/in 1% of that weight. The cost per pound changes to much with the current weight variation listed.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 03-09-2013 at 08:17 PM.

In Remembrance

I went to RotoMetals site, and looked up the new information, directly.

They are charging you PER INGOT, having nothing directly to do with weight, per se.

So, comparing the OLD pricing per pound, to the new system, the OP is exactly correct. The NET price per pound will vary, depending on the random weight of the ingots you get.

But, if you are buying a few ingots, you will surely get some under and some over the weight, all working out on an average. I still don't see the problem.

Roto Metals has good prices, even with the new system. Roto Metals has excellent quality, and a wonderful range of usable alloy.

And, they have been VERY attentive in the past to customer voices on issues like this.

On the average, you will be getting your money's worth. Some will be over on weight (to your advantage) and some will be under weight (to their advantage)... It will all equal out.

Sorry if I mis-read the information earlier.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast