RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing Patches

Boolit Buddy

Lubing Patches

When you lube your patches, what is your method? Do you heat the lube and soak the patch then let it air dry? Need some input. Does this affect the powder when left in the gun for hunting? I like to do the same thing at he range as I would do in the field.
    Last edited by Mike.44; 03-07-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: add

Mike, In cold weather and on trail walks, I use a beeswax + olive oil based lube (recipe to follow). I first cut a length of patching ( 2.6 x ball diameter = correct width), rub it on both sides with lube, then roll it and put it in the microwave on full power for ~15 secs. When it's cool enough, I cut it into individual patches using a pinking shear as they won't fray or otherwise unravel. The lube shouldn't degrade the powder, but I load and shoot so I can't speak to this.

Lube recipe: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0019512...lube&sa=Search

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply, Maven

old 150yr trick. wash your pillowticking 5 times. air dry. cut into 2 inch wide belt.
    put the end in your mouth and wet, put it on the muzzle and the ball on top and use a short starter to get it below the muzzle. then patch knife cut it even with the muzzle.
    each patch will then be PERFECTLY CENTERED ON THE BALL. groups will cut in half.
    you can never get the ball centered with a pre cut patch...
    aim twice shoot once...Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ken s View Post
    each patch will then be PERFECTLY CENTERED ON THE BALL. groups will cut in half.
    you can never get the ball centered with a pre cut patch...
    aim twice shoot once...Ken
    My experience is that roll and cut patches vs. pre cut yields no difference in accuracy. I use scissors to cut octagonal patches and just wipe them across a cake of lube and load with the lube side out against the barrel and unlubed side holding the RB. Lube is beeswax/deer tallow/grape oil . I lube as I load at the range or just carry prelubed PRB in speedloader when hunting.

If ken s has to use roll patching to cut group size in half vs. precut and lubed he's doin something very wrong. Of all the PRB shooters I know there is no detectable difference in group size with precut and lubed patches vs. roll patches. Of course they use patches that are round or octagonal and proper size.

10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    I cut my patching into strips the right width. Then soak in molten lube. Pull thru two popsicle sticks to remove excess( do not use fingers) and then dry. Use in cut at muzzle method.
    swamp

"If ken s has to use roll patching to cut group size in half vs. precut and lubed he's doin something very wrong. Of all the PRB shooters I know there is no detectable difference in group size with precut and lubed patches vs. roll patches. Of course they use patches that are round or octagonal and proper size."

My thoughts exactly, 10 ga.!

Perm-Banned
    i admire shooters who can shoot precut patches with the same accuracy as those cutim off at the muzzle, your better than i will ever be. im with ken s i put them just below the muzzle and cut them off with a straight razor and then i get tight groups. i just finished a .45 cal round ball side lock. could only get hunting groups at 100 yards but when i went back to basics and cut them off at the muzzle they take the x out of the center at 100 yards. im going to shoot this gun alot because it is so inexpensive to shoot as compared to my others and beside it is accurate. wish i was like the rest of you but im not so ill just stick to old basics.

Boolit Master
    i used to shoot precuts. then went to cutting at the muzzle. now i am back to precuts. got tired of sucking on the pillow ticking. it does not make a differance in my rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

I usually use spit patch where I just set the precut patch in my mouth until it gets wet. When I use regular lube like bore butter or crisco I just set it in the lube and rube it around until the patch is lubed on one side.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I just watched Hershel House load and fire one of his flintlocks on a KYAfield short video.
    He's getting up there and is most assuredly old school. Pours powder into a horn tip charger, pours down bore, lays a ticking strip over the muzzle and spits on it, places a ball, taps it down with the end of his "patch" knife, cuts at the muzzle and rams it down to the powder.
    gotta luv it!

I prefer to cut at the muzzle also but use a little moose milk for patch lube.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Has any one tried Ballistol as a patch lube? I'm getting good results with it using it straight on precut patches.
    Tom Vietnam Vet..........June 66 - Dec 67

Boolit Buddy
    Mike,
    Any number of lubricants will work as a patch lube to get the ball down onto your powder charge. I generally try to use one that will work also as a fouling softener or a cleaner for your bore as those generally will keep things consistant a bit better from shot to shot.
    Hunting is a different situation. There are many times where a rifle can be left loaded and not shot for a day or several days. Using spit as a patch lube is a nice romantic touch and will work at the range where you load and shoot shot after shot, but in the hunting situation where the load is left in the bore for a length of time it will dry out, or in the case of hunting in more northern climates it can freeze in the bore. Spit or saliva is water and if left in your barrel for any length of time, even for a days hunt , it can cause rusting in your barrel, something I would rather avoid in my rifles.

Just my thoughts ..... Pete
    Last edited by 451 Pete; 03-08-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank You everyone. This is just what I needed.

Perm-Banned
    to ga cop, their is a fellow not too far from me just accross the state line who uses ballistol for patching all his muzzle loaders. he wont use anything else. he has a lot of muzzleloaders and huntsi alot and gets very good results. the young man who sell guns at the local hardware store recommends ballistol to every one local for patch lube. must be good.

Boolit Mold
    Bore Butter is a good lube if your hunting and going to leave the load in all season. I use that with the cut at the muzzle method and if I have to reload while hunting I'll use spit and cut at the muzzle since your gonna clean at the end of the day anyhow.

I use TC Bore Butter/Wonder Lube up to this point, but will experiment with some *homemade* lube this season.
    Pre-cut pillow ticking, round patches and lube applied with fingers (by hand so to speak).
    This job is best accomplished while watching a movie in the dead of winter.
    I store the lubed patches in a film canister till loading.
    Cleaning after a range session is easy money.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master
    I cut a strip of pillow ticking the same wight of a purcussion cap can.I then use that same can
    as a template to cut the patches round.I then lube them in a can of mink oil.I have never found anything
    better than mink oil.Track of the wolf has it, & I think Tany leather.

Fly

Boolit Grand Master

I use Bore Butter also for my precut hunting patches. I put some in a baggie along with the patches and micro-wave until it's melted. I knead the baggie and if more lube is needed I add and do again. When done I leave 'em sealed in the baggie and they stay good forever.

Larry Gibson

ballistol/water

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Has any one tried Ballistol as a patch lube? I'm getting good results with it using it straight on precut patches.
    I have, 1 part ballistol to 7 parts water. soak the patch material then spread out on a clean flat surface over night. i cut strips of jean material or pillow ticking when using this mix. when dry roll it up and cut as needed or pre cut patches. this dry lube produced many ragged one hole groups with tc hawken/renegade type guns with slow twist barrels.