Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AA5744 preassure comparison

Fwiw, I finally found a case where 5744 is a top powder. It delivers superbly in 17 Ackley Bee. I'm having problems believing the data at over 3700 fps with a 25 grain bullet.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I've come across this pressure spike toward the muzzle before. Some argued it was caused by barrel vibration acting on the load cell. It does raise a question when the spike occurs when the chamber pressure is dropping and all the powder has been burned. Where would the energy be coming from? It could be a pressure wave travelling down the barrel or perhaps it could be a 'ringing' effect in the barrel steel. It would be interesting to see whether a second load cell mounted further down the barrel would register the same spike.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I still think AA5744 is a great powder and will continue to use it, but like any powder they all have a lower limit of pressure that they will work at without creating problems. I have accepted the fact that I have to go to a heavier projectile or a heavier powder charge to get the powder to work in my 308.

Right now I want to continue to work with what I have so I will try a Dacron tuff because this load is for 100-300 yards max.

I have NOE's 311365 - 198 grain bullet that I am going to try the AA5744 in, to establish if a heavier projectile does indeed eliminate the delayed ignition due to greater start force.

I believe that in my 45-70 and 45-90 with the 500+ grain bullets along with the lower velocities the ignition problem is lessened due to the mass of the projectile.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 40-82 hiker View Post
    Before he left Western (Accurate Arms), I spoke with Johan Loubser (AA's ballistician) and he told me emphatically that one should not use filler with AA5744. I have used 5744 for a couple of years in .40-82 and .45-70 and like it very much. In fact, he stated that his testing showed there are no position related issues with 5744 in even the largest 50 caliber cases.
    However, the concern over double charging is very real, but it exists with other powders as well in these big cases.

Sorry if this appears twice, had trouble posting.
    I understand this is an old post. I've had quite a few chat discussions with Larry about powder choice for the Trapdoor.

It led me to chrono'ing my 5744 loads.

From a velocity standpoint, 5744 is position sensitive. That will lead to differing velocities, and, ultimately, the random flier. Not to the point of hangfires if the powder isn't against the primer - but I had to see the velocity difference myself to believe it.

GT Bullets Hollow Base 390gr

23gr 5744
    No care given to rifle orientation: 1076, 1068, 1118, 1097

24gr 5744
    No care given to rifle orientation: 1123, 1120, 1125, 1133

25gr 5744 4 shots
    2 shots with rifle handled normally, no care given to powder location: 1165 and 1162 fps
    2 shots with rifle tilted to rear, powder against primer, slowly, carefully leveled: 1238 & 1223 fps

Interesting that tilting the rifle to the rear lowers velocity and seems to increase spread. This would call for more testing under controlled conditions.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Interesting that tilting the rifle to the rear lowers velocity and seems to increase spread. This would call for more testing under controlled conditions.
    I think you read that wrong
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I'm finding that over a wide variety of cast and jacket in a large capacity case, specifically my 416 Ruger, Shooters World Buffalo Rifle is coming in very close to AA5744 published velocity data using the same loads. No idea on actual pressures but no evidence of over pressure however, I do not approach top end loads in that rifle for recoil purposes.

In my 43 Spanish after much back and forth with Nobade, I began duplexing black to the point of cleaning up the loads and stopped. I have not yet tried duplexing my surplus 20mm powder I got from Jeff Bartlett but I'm sure I'd get the same results

I am not recommending trying any of this in your rifles, I just found this interesting in mine.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I think you read that wrong
    Ah! I did read that wrong! Ok it raises the velocity which is what I would expect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12