WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Think this would make a decent swage press...???

Frosted Boolits

Think this would make a decent swage press...???

The RCBS Ammomaster 2.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/670...le-stage-press

It looks pretty darn beefy and has quite a long handle for good leverage. I am a noob so any advice is appreciated.

I will be swaging 22 cals, 244 cal, 40, 45, and 50 in the near future. Most likely with BTs dies.

Thanks in advance!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

Looks like it might do the trick. Might even be able to make adjustable uprights for the die plate for precise adjustment.

Should be alright as long as you can get your finger in and around the posts. THe smaller calibre projectile can be a bit fiddly compared to a cartridge case.

Did you see the new Summit press from RCBS?...that's a lotta ram http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...e-stage-press/

It's hard to go past a modified Lee Classic Cast. Price is very good and quality is about as good as it gets.

Vendor Sponsor

I think the ammo master has the potential to make a great swage press. Here is a pic of one set up for a customer of mine. I like the 7/8-14 threaded ram. Easy to addapt for threaded base punches and hook auto ejection sytems to.

I little more expensive then my favored Lee Classic Cast presses and approaching the cost of a RCE Sea Girt press but I like the potential of the RCBS ammo master over the SG because of the less distance between the ram and the top support of the press at top of the stroke and how you don't have to reach to your toes to get to top of stroke like on the RCE. The RCE may be stronger but I think judging from the pics the RCBS ammo master certainly has potential too, especially if you could find one used at a bargin.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

When I first saw the summit I thought it was a little cheapo thing. But it's big! An auto eject could be bolted to the bench and easyer to build, therefore less expensive that BT's current model autoeject.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
    Should be alright as long as you can get your finger in and around the posts. THe smaller calibre projectile can be a bit fiddly compared to a cartridge case.

Did you see the new Summit press from RCBS?...that's a lotta ram http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...e-stage-press/

It's hard to go past a modified Lee Classic Cast. Price is very good and quality is about as good as it gets.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

if I were thinking about dropping that kind of coin on a press Personally I would be getting a SeaGirt or Walnut hill You will never regret it. I am not going to make a penny of of you and Honestly there is no comparing a real swage press and a make do reloading press.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reload3006 View Post
    if I were thinking about dropping that kind of coin on a press Personally I would be getting a SeaGirt or Walnut hill You will never regret it. I am not going to make a penny of of you and Honestly there is no comparing a real swage press and a make do reloading press.
    This is the truth. I have used BT's dies in both an RCBS rockchucker and the walnut hill from RCE. NO COMPARISON. There is something to be said for using the tool as it is intended.

You'll find, most guys modify their reloading press to get them to work. A lot of time they break. They work for some guys, just not me.

Pay for it once, you won't regret it. BTW, BT makes his dies of he Walnut Hill as well. I own his 40-44 dies and the 40-45 on order now.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Mold
    Hello, let me write my first post and try to revive this thread.

I've recently bought RCBS Ammomaster 2 and I want to convert it into a swaging press to make .355 jacketed pistol bullets. But, my idea was to make it like on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRfl...nnel=cdcropper where he is converting his RCBS Rock Chucker press into a swaging one simply by replacing some parts with Blackmon swaging system parts (a ram and few more elements).

I don't want to use the same Blackmon swaging system as he did, probably I would have to make my own ram that fits the Ammomaster 2. It only gave ma an idea, because if its posible to do with one RCBS press it should be possible with other.

I want to use Corbin's dies with it. Also, I'm aware that it won't be as good as a swaging press but where I live there is no option to get any of swaging presses. So I need to work with what I have.

My question is, did anyone have tried that before? Or anytging similar with RCBM Ammomaster 2? Thanks.

Boolit Master

Make sure that the press not a casting! The Corbin S press is not cast and it is designed for swaging!

Boolit Bub
    I been using my rockchucker for 18 years ( 55 or 60 thousand 30 caliber bullets ) and a bunch of squirt coresClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20210124_190632_resized.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	279750 it has never let me down I just added a longer handle

Boolit Man
    I would go for the Walnut Hill-2 or the Walnut Hill-50 if thinking of 50 BMG. I have an older Walnut Hill and Sea Girt that make me smile when I use them.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for all the answears, I know RCBS is not for swagging, what can go wrong if it is a cast?

If I would only have a chance to get a Walnut Hill press I will do that. Unfortunatelly as I know you need to wait for a long time for it, and there is also matter of shipping to Europe, where I live. jimrk if you know anything that can make buying a Walnut Hill press easier for me, please let me know.

RonIa, it is a great press for sure, I hope mine will work as fine as yours!
    Last edited by krayski; 03-22-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Buddy
    What can go wrong if it's cast; cracked casting...

Boolit Bub
    That can't be repaired to be useful for anything other than a boat anchor
    Benefactor Member of NRA

Boolit Man
    Some of the top benchrest bullet makers are still using converted Rock chukers, Redding Big Boss's or Lee classic cast presses. There has been more talk and use of Lenzi presses but they are between 1500 - 1700 US. One of the big things I've heard about using converted presses is to replace the pins regularly if doing large quantities .

Im wondering if using carbide dies are easier on presses than steel dies?

Boolit Buddy
    I mostly make 45’s and it requires a lot of force. I made the one on the forum and use it for most of my heavy work. I use the Hornady and lee classic for finishing work. 40’s are easier and 9mm’s require no effort. I have not tried rifle yet. As expensive as they are, the right tool for the job will last a life time. I have already repaired my Lee once.
    Last edited by toolz568; 04-11-2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Make sure that the press not a casting! ...
    This is an important point.
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Bub
    Krayski,

Richard has been stocking the walnut hill lately. I don’t know where he ships or if he will continue to make dies b

I use my RCE presses for reloading , Sold My Ammo Master etc... Never looked back...