Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Faster way of seating cores ?

Boolit Buddy
    I finally got around to making a video. I solved the problem of cores hanging up on the edge of the jacket. I swaged some cores for the video. They are 45 grains and fell fine. Like I said in my previous post, this is my test model and thrown together with a variety of plastics. All trays in the future will be made of black PVCX and the fence will be taller. I sent test model #2 to RP for a working test. His model was a 96 holer and did not have the few minor adjustments model #3 has. I'm still waiting for my core seating die from Brian so I can't even put my tray to work......yet. Whadda ya think?
    Supe

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/su...8e1e1.mp4.html

Boolit Bub
    Very nice, I would like one once I get my dies from BT.

Boolit Master

Very good, are you taking pre-orders to finance material purchase?
    How long before they come in .243 and .30?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Clodhopper- No pre-order necessary, I've been using scrap bin pieces for experimentation and expected a few total loses. I'm also new to plastics (why did "The Graduate" just jump into my mind) and I'm experiencing the learning curve. Being new to the game, I grabbed whatever looked thick enough to work with. I learned, the hard way, some of the strengths and weaknesses of various plastic products. I settled on PVCX for the ease of use and light weight. As far as blocks for .243 and .30, I could make them but I would need jackets and cores to make a working model. I started this project as a personal challenge to keep my thumbs from twiddlin' whilst waiting for my 22 cal dies from Brian. I still have to do a cost evaluation to see what I'd have to charge to keep from working my way to the poor house. Right now I'm making 'em one-off but if you guys are interested I'll make some production aids to standardize the product.
    Supe

Boolit Master

Put me on the list as interested in one of your set ups for the 224 cores. Make sure to charge enough for your time and make it worth it.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I think you can sell them. While some people will say it's just pecies of plastic. Others will be focusing on what those pieces of plastic do.
    Your time is valuable, one of your tools would save lots of my time.
    I do not have any .243 cores yet but hope to have some soon.
    I have not ordered .22 dies yet, but recognize the benifits of your jacket-core allingment tool.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Bottom line? I'm fumble fingered and can't see to put the cores in one at a time. I'm going to make some whether they sell on not. I'll start making the production aids Monday.

Clodhopper- What size are your jackets? These holes are 15/64" (.234") and it shouldn't be much of a jump for your .243 . Jacket length might be a problem. A taller bottom plate would solve that problem. A 30 cal set-up would most likely require different hole spacing and block thickness.

Supe

Boolit Bub
    I would be interested in one set and one extra lower tray. I don't have my dies yet, so I will not be much help in testing, but I'm interested in supporting you.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good. Will be ordering one when available.
    Roger
    Let's make AMERICA Great again!!!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Guys if you are doing 224s I don't see how you can do them without a way to easily get the cores in the jackets. And yes kids and wife will work but do you really want to go that route lol. I have tested one of his prototypes and love it. I wish I could upload my videos so I could add it to my others on a tread that I been working on about swaging bullets. Thanks for stepping up to the plate with your ideals and product Supe 47
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Supe.... How much are you going to charge for these? Oh and I am also curious about the depth? Are they going to be usable with jackets from .600-1.125? I would guess the only change would be the depth of the top plate!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Frosted Boolits

I don't have my dies yet from BT But I would like one for .224. I would also like one extra lower tray. Just let us know when they go up for sale. Thanks and great job on your prototype!!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

My earlier post should have read "don't have any jackets yet" I'm waiting on some tools ordered some months ago to make jackets. The jackets should be under .243 in size but, probably not small enough to fall into a .243 dia hole like your .22 jackets do.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Utah shooter- I was contemplating that earlier tonight. Derimmed LR measure out at .700"+. I believe the .600" jacket would fall properly. You would, of course, loose 1/10" of grab area with the current bottom plate. LR jacket have a wee bit more than 1/4" exposed. A .600" jacket would have about 5/32 exposed. I think you could still grab 'em. As far as the 1.125" jacket, I can make a 10 or 11mm "middle plate" to allow for a longer jacket.Sorry for the "mm's", I was told plastics usually are measured in millimeters and they just round off for us inch people. The problem with the longer jacket is the "funnel" opening size. It's a semi-critical size, to small and the jackets won't tip in, to large and they drop in all willie nillie and wrong end up. The diameter has to be just wide enough for the heavy (closed) end to tip in but small enough for the light (open) end to pass over. I don't believe the longer jacket would index as well as the standard derimmed LR jacket. Perhaps a factory produced longer jacket with a flat base would work. Don't know, don't have any to try. As far as price, I was thinking $75ish delivered. Extra lower plate $20. Lots of labor involved.
    Has anyone received their pill trays yet? I'd be interested to hear how they worked out. I can't compete with China.
    Supe

Boolit Buddy
    Supe47, $75ish? PM me where and when to send you the money, NO question I need this!
    Thanks, Nick

Boolit Master

If only half the jackets fell in mouth up, this tool could still save lots of time.
    Throw jackets in, Shake untiil each hole is occupied, Dump excess.
    Throw cores in,shake until every open mouth jacket has a core, dump excess.
    Sawge the ready assemblies,
    Dump out the upside down ones.
    Repete
    The proper sized hole/bevel is cream for a hand swager.
    And critical for an automated set up.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    supe, I'm very interested as well. Are you taking orders? Any idea on the cost yet? I saw you mentioned using a .600" jacket, would a .800" work as well? Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    MIBULLETS- .800"? Not sure. In the near future I'll cut down some 22 Mag cases and give 'em a try with a "standard" top plate. There's a little bit of wiggle room between the funnels on the top plate so I might be able to increase the diameter a small amount. The problem with that is it might mess with the .700" falling closed end down most of the time. I'll look into it. I don't think an extra .010" will be a problem.

clodhopper- That's a good idea. I'm still messing with the first 3 of my random plastics test models. When I test them I seldom have more than a half a dozen wrong side up and this usually happens when initially dumping in the jackets. I made a custom countersink today, 80 degrees with a radius at the bottom rather than a sharp angle at entry hole. Works slicker than snot. Amazing what person can do with a drill press, grinding wheel and Dremel tool.

I'm going to devote Monday to procuring materials and making production aids so pieces will be interchangeable rather than one off. I thank you for the moral support. If I wasn't doing this I'd be at the range. Wait, is that a good thing?
    Supe

Boolit Bub
    If you extended the positioning dowels to a longer length, then added spacers to raise the top plate. Would help for longer length jackets

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, but you would still be dealing with the diameter of the funnel opening being to small. Remember the jackets and core have to tip in, hopefully open end up. Roughly speaking, the opening has to be about 60% of the jacket length. Opening for .715"ish jacket is around .450", a longer jacket would require a larger opening for the feed characteristics this device was designed to do. The reverse is also true, shorter jacket with a wider hole and you'll get more upside-down jackets. It's like driving a fuel dragster on regular gas.....it'll work but not up to it's full potential. This model was designed to work with derimmed 22 LR jackets that measure .705"-.730". Longer jacket may work but I've not tried them yet.
    Supe

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast