Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: New 243 wssm

New 243 wssm

I bought this from a friend it is 6yrs old but new in the box I would like to learn how to shoot long range with it, then I will switch to my 308 and move to MY OTHER GUNS, I have a trailer to put a target on I can shoot over a half mile in the front yard. WELL I WILL GET TO THE POINT WHAT SCOPE DO YOU THINK I SHOULD BUY I am looking at LEOPOLD I am going to buy 1 good scope and pay for quick change mount and move it to the gun I want to use if I feel the need. I Know I will have to re sight it in on each gun but that is what having your own range is all about. This is going to be my coyote/ varmint gun until I get a 22/250.
    Last edited by Randy C; 03-04-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Banned

a good 4x12 will take care of about any long range stuff. When the range gets over 300 or the power of your scope gets over 10x an ajustable objective or side focus is about nessisary.

That Weaver scope MidwayUSA has as an exclusive is a heck of a deal on a mil/mil scope. I have one on my old M77 243 Win and like it a lot. It's usually on the monthly sales list, like at the moment. Gets glowing reviews from everyone pretty much.

Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle

It come with a Simmons 3-9x40 I will try this scope. I have some better but I would like to shoot coyote at night under the moon I can hear them most evenings in the back yard some time I see them running past the house.

Love Life
    Look at Vortex Optics as well. They have come out swinging, and in my personal experience they are a very solid scope for the money with a great warranty.

I have a Leupold Mk4, but actually like the Vortex better for couple reasons.

Give sightron a looksee as well. They are one of my favorites, but do not provide a mil/mil in FFP like I want. Nice glass, and they have a tacticalish model with finger knobs and mil/mil.

Or move on up to Steiner and S&B...

Boolit Master

Not knowing what price range you're looking in but if you have the money, maybe think about a night force scope, as I've shot rifles from 223 to 50BMG with them and all I can say is they are very impressive for their clarity & ease of use. They are very expensive and a little on the heavy side but I've never looked through a better scope and I've looked through most on the market.

Myself, I have some custom 30X leupold's and a few 24X for long range work - In North Dakota you'll have problems with scope power above 30X, as mirage can be a problem on some days but with the ND wind, there aren't too many days mirage will be a problem.

A good all around power is a 4.5X14X50 AO.

Sometimes a great deal comes up on high-end optics on a forum titled sniper's hide. http://forum.snipershide.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29&

Boolit Master
    at 1000 yds 14X on good quality optics is plenty enough. I have Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40's that I use, with mildot. I suggest a 30mm tube if you want to be able to dial in to 1000yds or more. A 1" leupold tube will have just enough adjustment to get you to 1000 and maybe a little more.
    Whatever scope you decide on pay particular attention to how much total adjustment is in the turrets and if that will satisfy your needs. My 30mm Leupolds have 72moa.
    And keep a record book if you don't already do that.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Love Life
    Look at a mount that adds MOA as well. I prefer a 20 MOA rail for 308, but I'm not too savvy on the 243 WSSM.

Boolit Bub
    Some good advice below. For long range extra investment can be worth it. I do like Leopold products and use them the most except on me single shot classics where Unertl still looks best.

Boolit Grand Master

For 1000 yd any rifle any sight I used a 6.5 - 20 Leopold with side parallax adjustment, This scope worked well for me and on good days could run it up on days with heavy mirage I could dial it down in power. I used a home made scope rail with 20 mins built into it, On some rifles this wont zero at 100 or maybe even 200yds. I used this for 600-1000yds any sight matches.

I believe today I would look at one of the 8-32 s or so. Most matches were I was at the 16X-18X range.
    One thing to remember is with added magnification field of view goes down and any shake is magnified ( heart beat, breathing, tremors) Another is mirage may make upper end hard to use but also set up right the mirage allows you to read wind in the scope.