Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New To 41 MAG

Boolit Bub
    Wow, very impressive!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GARCIA View Post
    The three Blackhawks need to be throated for cast and that will be taken care of shortly.
    Hi Tom,

All of my 41 Rem Mag revolvers have 0.410" throats. If bullets are sized in a 0.410" sizer they are a push fit into the throats of my Blackhawk and Freedom Arms M97. The S&W M57 Mountain Gun has longer chambers, and bullets in loaded cartridges do not enter the throats, but they are still 0.410" throats and the same ammo works just as well in the S&W. I suggest you try sizing your bullets a bit smaller before you cut the throats of your Blackhawks. My 41 Rem Mag Blackhawk will shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards, as will the M97. Your throats are probably just fine.

Take care, Tom

Aw great, now I have to find a Marlin in .41 to match my blackhawk, I did not realize they made them. Thanks alot, I got to stop reading this stuff, it is getting expensive.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Buddy

Love the 41, first one I bought (about 1981) was a Blackhawk 6.5", then a DWA with a 8VH barrel(that was a hoss) then a 5.5 Redhawk, and a 7.5 Redhawk followed by a 7.5R Redhawk, then a 657PC SW and a 3 screw 6.5. I will say I made a couple of mistakes along the way and now only have 3
    7.5R Redhawk, most accurate revolver I have to this point in testing
    657pc Smith
    3 screw 6.5"
    I miss the DWA for the fabulous trigger (after 2 trips back to Monson) and the 5.5 Redhawk just because....

Boolit Mold

Another .41 Mag fan here.

I was 14 when I loaded some .41 Magnum ammo for a customer of my Dad's bullet and ammo business.

I cast some Lyman SWCs and sized 'em .410", I can't recall what the powder was but I remember that it was a pretty hot load.

This was a deal where a customer would bring his empties and we'd clean and reload them.

It was only 100 rounds. The guy told my Dad that he was quite happy with the ammo and it was very accurate in his 6-1/2" Blackhawk.

This was my first experience with the .41 and I never forgot about it until about 1987 when I bought a new Blackhawk, 4-5/8" and it was some fun to shoot those Winchester Super X 210 grainers! Man they were hot!

I eventually sold that gun and bought a Marlin 1894 FG, that wouldn't feed anything and would lock up rounds against the lifter while cycling. I had/have very little time to get out blasting and the Marlin was wasting too much of my time at the range so I traded it straight across for a 39A from 1969 in excellent condition.

I bought a NIB Stainless Redhawk with the 7-1/2" barrel and never got to fire it because I needed some money to pay bills and sold it for a slight profit, as it was UNFIRED.

Finally,back in about '04 I traded a Colt 1991 .45 Government Model for my Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter model.

The throats were a tight .409" so I had a very good pistolsmith ream the throats to .410" and do the polished bolt band and number the chambers with a bead blast finish.

Otherwise this one is stock and is the only .41 in my collection today.

I'd still like to own a S&W M57 but I've got so many big revolvers to shoot as it is.

I've shown this gun here before but it's been a while and forum posts with pictures are always the best.

Scored this H&G 4 banger (for $90 with handles!) that drops the 258.411 Keith SWC and that is the only cast boolit that I need.

Dave

Member NRA

Boolit Master

Been loading a 225gr RNFP "outlaw" from Missouri Bullet Company in front of 10.4 GR of AA#5. Sweet shootin round out of the DanWesson with a 10" barrel and ACCURATE!!!!

Banned

Wonderful gun. Only reason I never bought one was the lack of good bullets/boolits when it came out and I had the .44's.
    The .41 is a .44 in disguise anyway with what we have today.

Boolit Mold
    I have hunted with a 41 for almost 40 years taken over well over 100 head of game with my S&W 4" mod 57 by the way my ser# is 00003 when i called Roy Jinks at smith to verify my ser # he almost fell out of the chair when he found i had drilled and taped it for a scope.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Hard to beat 6.8-7.0 RD (or 6.5 700X) with the 190-200 grainer TCs and similar; 17.0-17.5 WC820s with the 220-230 Keiths. I mention this because the cartridge has the LP for spark, which is really far too much for the case size while finding really accurate loads. Prolly a gas check boolit design will help matters with the LP, but it would be much easier to find excellent loads with a SP/SR primer. The latter will obviously provide extensive primer selection as well. ... felix
    felix

Banned

I kinda like these.

Boolit Buddy

Federal 150 primers and H110 has always been a very accurate combination for my guns

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Tom,

All of my 41 Rem Mag revolvers have 0.410" throats. If bullets are sized in a 0.410" sizer they are a push fit into the throats of my Blackhawk and Freedom Arms M97. The S&W M57 Mountain Gun has longer chambers, and bullets in loaded cartridges do not enter the throats, but they are still 0.410" throats and the same ammo works just as well in the S&W. I suggest you try sizing your bullets a bit smaller before you cut the throats of your Blackhawks. My 41 Rem Mag Blackhawk will shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards, as will the M97. Your throats are probably just fine.

Take care, Tom
    We have shifted all ammo loaded with .411" boolits over to the Marlins and all .410" to the handguns.
    That damn oldest boy is creating a bunch of problems for this old man!
    Was out in the garage two days ago casting up a bunch with my MP mold in the HP configuration.
    Going to run them over 10gr of HS6. Almost like the old police load.

Tom