MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 32-20 ,fish and a rabbit all in 24hrs

Boolit Bub

32-20 ,fish and a rabbit all in 24hrs

Hi Guys
    Since buying a savage in 32-20 last year I have fallen in love with this little round and the gun that belongs to it. We have a small family farm which is about 400 acres and is perfect for my young son and daughter to use here , and me to for that matter.
    I drove up to the farm for the weekend to stock the Dam with fish as the drought had killed the trout that where in there about 5 years ago.
    My 14 year daughter wanted to catch fish, hopefully in a years time these fish will be large enough to start catching.The first few fish were put in one by one , then by the hand full and at the end the hole bag dumped in . It was followed by a bag of shrimp for fish food. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130301_181446.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	62924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130301_181350.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	62925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130302_091710.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	62926
    That afternoon my daughter and I went for a little walk, to the odd rabbit popping up from under my feet . The one in the photo I hit on the run at about 40 m I could not believe I hit it as it disapaired behind a bush a milisecond after I fired . As I walked to the area the tree behind it had a blood splatter and there was the rabbit stone dead with a gapping chest wound where the 85gr xtp ripped through it, My daughter was proud of me I was proud of me to ..
    The next day we shot off about 70 rounds of cast 115gr bullets set of with 3 grs of trail boss I also did some chrony testing as shown below.

3grs trail boss 115gr cast 964 fps
    4 gr apn 70 /universal clays 115gr cast 1299 fps
    5gr apn 70 1350 fps
    15.5 gr AR2205/ imr 4227- h 4227 85gr xtp 1907 fps
    14gr AR2205 100gr soft point 1642 fps (av of only 2 shots)
    14g 296 85 gr xtp 1821 fps ( av of only 2 shots)

I was a little baffeled at the 15.5gr of the 2205 as the published data for 16 grs with a 80 gr bullet was 2150 fps.What are your guys thoughts on this, as this is my hunting load which will be used sparingly but with ample power. The 3 grs of trail boss was great and easy to plink with all day. I am only using the crimp on the die, do you suggest I get a proper factory crimper. I did notice a largish spread in velocity and the crimper my help this? I Would appreciate your thoughts on these matters
    Regards

Boolit Grand Master
    An 85 XTP at 1900 and you actually found the entire rabbit? Bet the wound was huge! That bullet going that fast is going to destroy whatever it hits, and fast.

I would prefer a 110-120 flat nosed cast going 1200 for hunting. Heck, for squirrels I would actually use the Trailboss load of it shot good groups.

Small game isn't that tough if you hit it in the right place. I prefer a less destructive load.

The 32-20 is a nice little rifle, isn't it? I really like my Marlin.

As for velocity variation, case length is critical for a good crimp. This small a cartridge is very successively to small differences making a big difference on target. Trim often. I don't size mine enough to push the shoulder back at all, just part of the neck. I use a minimal crimp, that brass is really thin and I don't want to over work it.

Boolit Master

I have no answer for the AR2205 question, but I would like to commend you for your taking your weekend to spend with your children.

Boolit Master
    I looked at your pictures and you are blessed. A few decades from now you too can look back at the photos and remember the day.

Boolit Master
    I also would like to give you a pat on the back for taking your kids out!
    One of my wish list guns is a .32-20, this only makes me want one more!
    We have a stock pond on our summer pasture that we have planted Brook trout and shrimp in, we have a ball catching them there in the summer or through the ice in the winter. Come to think of it, i caught my first fish there when i was 5!
    The hatchery we get the fish from usually says we can expect the trout to grow about an inch a month feeding on shrimp like that, so in less than a years time, they are ready to be caught and in a little over a year they are eating size. What kind of fish did you plant?
    Take care,
    Cowboy.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Great write up Boca.
    It sounds like the 32-20 is fun to load for. Did you have any problems with position sensitivity with the AP70N? I have been trialling it in 30-30 and 35 whelen for light cast loads. I do not have a chronograph so don't know the spread but certainly there has not been good accuracy as yet. If i hd my time again I would purchase AS30N (Clays) rather than AP70N. AS30N should be closer to Bullseye for very light loads.
    Trailboss has worked fairly well for me, particularly in the 30-30 with the little Lee314-90-swc which i believe is a .32 mold. I size down to .311. I am using 7.0grains of trail boss under this for 1.5inch groups with aperture sights at 50metres.

I have just started using 2205 in the 30-30. I recently picked up the Lyman 4th Cast which gives loads of 2205 for the lee 150 and 170gc projectiles. I've shot a 2" 50m group with the 170grain with the 2205. It should be a good powder choice for the 32-20.
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 03-03-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    When I picked up a 32-20 in a T/C Contender in a "screaming deal" trade, I knew nothing about the caliber. I a couple weeks I knew it would be my favorite all-around caliber for anything under 100# using the Lee 115 gr RNGC ouyt to 125 yards.

boca, like btroj said, I would suggest 100 to 118 gr. flat nose cast boolit at no more than 1200 fps for a hunting (if you want to eat it) load. If you just want to splat it, well, those 85 gr. xtps at 2100 fps or more are great!! As far as your crimps, the best die I have for that is from an old Redding set. I also have Lee and Hornady dies for the 32-20 but that Redding crimp is by far the best. It is more of a taper crimp vs. roll type and just does a more concistent job. I would be curious about trying rcbs's cowboy dies though as I think they would do very well with cast. JW

Boolit Bub
    thanks everyone for the kind words. I have been going to the property since I was about 5 years old with my grandfather.It was his brothers property and I was welcomed there with open arms when my grandfather passed away when I was 17, we where extremly close. After that his brother and wife became my adopted grandparents . I was blessed that my kids meet both of them before they passed on and spent quility time with my great aunty to the very end.I have the most respect for our elders and it is sad to see this moral decay alittle with each generation that passes.
    The fish that I put in the Dam where silver perch.
    I will neck size from now on as i did with my hornet. I will stick with the higher power loads for hunting I like the flatter trajectory and the harder hitting, but for the 95% of shells fired it will be cast . I know this will not be any good for meat harvesting but that will not be necessary at the moment.
    I have shot a few pigs there in the last year , the last 3 All I had was the .22 I felt underguned but a few well placed shots dropped them , I didnt have the 32-20 at the time but wish I did.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooma pig liam.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	63078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	july 2012 (2).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	63079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	july 2012 22.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	63080
    I will in the future setup some cast bullets with gas checks and experiment with them for hunting. I guess cast bullets and jacketed bullets has the same debate as power boats or sail boats. Again thanks for the replys
    Regards Boca

we got to talking about our .32's on another forum, and before you knew it, we were all posting pictures..
    My .32 Blackhawk Convertible
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0236_zps7167507f.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	63645
    .32-20 cyl

Name:	DSCN0237_zps2fa50505.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	63647
    assortment of fodder

Name:	DSCN0240_zps19699847.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	63648

the one on the far right is a Missouri Cowboy #6 over 7.6 gr VV N350.. my pet load for the pistol..
    Last edited by JLDickmon; 03-10-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

Boolit Bub
    Tight