MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass gone

Brass gone

My brass disappeared into the snow so quickly that I could only find 1 out of 20 pcs when I was done shooting. I guess I'll find it in the spring. It was 7.62x39 too, Rats.

Boolit Master

By the time you find it in the spring, it may be so corroded that it's unusable. How deep...........never mind, I just noticed where you are from!! LOL I guess digging for it might not be an option? But you might mark it on your GPS!!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

In Remembrance

Another use for those cheap blue tarps when there is snow.Robert

blue tarp lol ... hope it was ber primer ...........no snow down here but the wife got the heat working .....
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    Other than some possible discoloration the brass will be fine when the snow melts! The thing to watch for as you clean it up are any copper-colored spots that are more than surface deep. If you have those spots there may have been some leeching(?) (dezincification)of Zinc from the brass, but in the short time left until spring that is highly unlikely.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Brass catchers can be made from 1/2" PVC and netting from the fabric store also, I looked at fish nets but most were too small with too large of holes.
    A loose kinda floppy net works better than a taught one, with the taught one brass tends to bounce out.
    Both tarps and brass catchers are great year round.

Banned

i learned long ago about shooting some guns in the winter.
    the sks sees ONLY berdan primed steel cases, so it's not a big deal.
    bolt guns and revolvers are wintertime shooters,leverguns are okay once you learn to flick and catch the brass.

i made a couple of brass catchers from a laundry bag stand, it was made from pvc pipe and mesh bags.
    so i disassembled it and reconfigured it into a rectangular frame and pulled the bag over the frame then cinched the top closed.
    then added a leg for it to lean on the bench which sticks out the cinched top..
    for stand up pistol shooting the tarp is cheap, and pays for itself pretty quickly.

Your aim has to be good both ways ... target and ...
    Was putting a few rounds down range the other day with the garand and there was a young couple next to me with the wife standing behind , watching the husband shoot ...
    I let one round go and heard a hollow "plunk" , stopped and looked around , she gave me a grin and I thought " what the ?" .... looked in my plastic bucket to my right and back a few feet and there was the shell ...
    She was laughing and said " do that again !" ....
    Sure had fun trying the rest of the afternoon ......

Boolit Master

Can you say "Metal Detector"? There, I knew you could.
    People used to laugh at me using one for my .45 ACP match brass. At todays prices, no one will.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

to keep brass in places with bad weather - either tarp/ground sheet - or I used to put a pad in the back of the pick up (had a canopy on it) and back up to the firing line and lower the tail gate and shoot prone from the back - 90+% of brass stayed inside - but you had to wear plugs and muffs and you wanted the muzzle to extend beyond the rear of the canopy.

Boolit Buddy
    Got tired of chasing the brass from my AK. Real happy with this Rigid Brass Catcher from http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/brasscatcher.html
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    I would have thought that a guy with the handle, "Revolver", who lived in Maine, would have figured this out before now?

Boolit Master

No matter how much I want to I won't shoot anything that I am short on brass for in bad weather and snow, unless I am hunting then I don't mind losing a piece or two for the hunt, but not to bust rocks and punch paper. Even with a bolt or lever gun you can sure kick out a few empties on the ground in different spots while shooting at a running coyote on the next snow covered ridge over before the yote piles up dead.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

X10 on the ground sheet/tarp. Makes for policing up on gravel so much easier too.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    You haven't chased brass until you've owned a MINI 14, you have to put your brass catcher 30' in front and to 10' to the right, then you may catch 1/2 .
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I would have thought that a guy with the handle, "Revolver", who lived in Maine, would have figured this out before now?
    Well---if you shoot a revolver you don't really have to worry about brass in the snow---unless you are REAL clumsy!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    We don't shoot in snow.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Quote Originally Posted by dagger dog View Post
    You haven't chased brass until you've owned a MINI 14, you have to put your brass catcher 30' in front and to 10' to the right, then you may catch 1/2 .
    move your sheet/tarp closer to the shooting station put a couple of rebar uprights and have a wall for the brass to hit and roll onto the floor of the tarp - Use spring clips to attach tarp to rebar that you pounded into the ground.

- And you have not seen brass fly until you use HK91/G3

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    - And you have not seen brass fly until you use HK91/G3
    YUP! You need a spotter if you have any intent of recovering your fluted brass.

I use a green cargo parachute; must be 50' diameter.
    ramar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast