Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading PBcastco

Thread: Make your own Gas Check Maker Real Real Simple

Boolit Mold

Make your own Gas Check Maker Real Real Simple

Came up with the Idea if trying to make my own gas check maker, and the dame thing works. I will admit, I copied the idea from the basics of the gas checkmaker by Pat Marlin. This layout is for making 35 cal. gas checks, but the same principle will work for just about any caliber.Here's what you do.
    1 get an old Lee resizing and decaping die.
    2 starting at the top of the die where the decaping pin screws into the top of the die, drill a 1/2in. hole all the way through to the bottom of the die. Now you have to stop about 1/4in. from the bottom, because there is a carbide insert in the bottom that you have to punch out and the drill bit won't cut through it. Use a lathe to get a precise hole lined up throught it. Now face off the bottom of the die so you have a flat bottom on the die.
    3 take a hack saw and cut a slot at a slight angle at the top of the die about 3/4in. down from the top of die, all the way through to about 1/16in. past the 1/2in. hole inside.
    4 make a 1/2in. punch pin and braze weld it to a shell holder. Now you have a punch pin that goes up and down inside the die casing.

Now using .010in. aluminum or copper, you are making gas check blanks.

5 take a block of steel and drill a 1/2in. hole 1/8in. deep. Then using the same block of steel, drill a 3/8in. hole all the way through it.
    6 make a steel press pin .450in. diameter
    7 lay gas check blank into top of steel block with 1/8in. deep recess.
    line up everthing and push press pin down into block and WALLA; you hav a gas check

Now I think I have expressed everthing in detail: Any questions?

Boolit Buddy
    I meant to put this in another thread
    Last edited by bmiller; 03-04-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: I put this in the wrong spot!

Boolit Master
    B, are you having some problems with decimal points and the number of 0's in your post?
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Boolit Master
    This post needs pictures.
    NRA Life Member

Post is worthless with out pics ( for the )

Boolit Master
    Does it have to be a LEE sizing die? I think I have a RCBS 357 die somewhere and I don't think it has a carbide insert. And yes,pictures please
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Buddy
    Pics please

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Quote Originally Posted by donerightsigns View Post
    Came up with the Idea if trying to make my own gas check maker, and the dame thing works. I will admit, I copied the idea from the basics of the gas checkmaker by Pat Marlin. This layout is for making 35 cal. gas checks, but the same principle will work for just about any caliber.Here's what you do.
    1 get an old Lee resizing and decaping die.
    2 starting at the top of the die where the decaping pin screws into the top of the die, drill a 1/2in. hole all the way through to the bottom of the die. Now you have to stop about 1/4in. from the bottom, because there is a carbide insert in the bottom that you have to punch out and the drill bit won't cut through it. Use a lathe to get a precise hole lined up throught it. Now face off the bottom of the die so you have a flat bottom on the die.
    3 take a hack saw and cut a slot at a slight angle at the top of the die about 3/4in. down from the top of die, all the way through to about 1/16in. past the 1/2in. hole inside.
    4 make a 1/2in. punch pin and braze weld it to a shell holder. Now you have a punch pin that goes up and down inside the die casing.

Now using .010in. aluminum or copper, you are making gas check blanks.

5 take a block of steel and drill a 1/2in. hole 1/8in. deep. Then using the same block of steel, drill a 3/8in. hole all the way through it.
    6 make a steel press pin .450in. diameter
    7 lay gas check blank into top of steel block with 1/8in. deep recess.
    line up everthing and push press pin down into block and WALLA; you hav a gas check

Now I think I have expressed everthing in detail: Any questions?
    good idea, i get it... this would be for a 2 step gs maker, punch the discs with the reloading press, then form the discs with the block die

question: if the press pin is 0.45, and the diameter of your die is 0.375, how does the check get formed?
    Last edited by Cane_man; 04-09-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I lost the simplicity you talked about when you mentioned lathe,drilling holes in a lee die,and braze welding.

If you have a lathe just grab some scrap rod and make one. No sense ruining a perfectly good die. I've said it before almost any monkey can make one. Its not rocket science.

Boolit Mold
    Thread resurrection inbound...
    If I remember correctly, a 7/8*14 bolt will work, though you may want to anneal it before drilling/machining then 're treat afterwards

Boolit Master
    One can occasionally locate some 7/8-14 all thread periodically, too. I have some that is earmarked for a number of ideas and projects, probably for retirement!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

For those without a lathe, here is a design from Ed Smith that can be made mostly with hand tools and a drill press:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ck-maker/page2

Scroll to post #36.

I made a simple gas check maker similar to the old Freechex gas check maker Ed Wosika and Paco Kelly used to sell. It does require a latch to make though:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ghlight=simple

If you scroll to post #44 in the 1st link I posted my drawings. That is for .30 cal. check maker. I prefer Ed's disk punch to the gasket punch style but both work.

I've since made two Ed Smith design single stroke check makers, one in .30 cal. and one in .44 cal. Both work well. This design can be used with a mallet or arbor press or with an adaptor Ed shows, it can be used in a press. Ed's single stroke gas check maker design can be downloaded but that again requires a lathe.

Longbow