MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: So... How about a 31141 or 311041 6 hole?

Boolit Master

So... How about a 31141 or 311041 6 hole?

I would like this one even more than the 311047. I have read a few wanting this one. I would give it a shot if we have 25 or so commitments.

Lemmeknow

David

This is the one I want.

I go through these by the hundreds.

Boolit Master

I like this one...

I think this would be about the perfect bullet for my #4 Mk. 1. How many grains would this bullet cast at with wheelweight? This is a gas checked bullet, right?

Kevin

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I really like the 31141....my single cavity lyman poops them out nicely too...they just fall right out.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Bub

WW in 31141

I have a double cavity Lyman 31141 I have used for better than 30 years. The as cast bullets weigh in at 174 to 175 gr depending on which batch of WW I use. In a sporterized 03A3 w/scope the best groups were of sub MOA. If I told you the group size you wouldn't believe it.

Out of my mold collection (sparse I might add) it gives best accuracy in 30-06 and NEF 30-30. I would love to have one as a 6 holer.
    KB291
    Last edited by KB291; 08-24-2005 at 08:33 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    In a sporterized 03A3 w/scope the best groups were of sub MOA. If I told you the group size you wouldn't believe it.

KB291[/QUOTE]

Heck, we're used to another poster's one hole groups. We don't mind another guy who can do it!

Boolit Master

I will have to duct tape an old simmons scope to my 03a3 and see if I can best those one holers, I'm gonna fire TWO shots at least

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Smile 311041

Count me in for one. Should round my 30 Cal.collection nicely. Mel

Boolit Buddy
    Set one aside for me. I suggest increase price by $1 for return shipping if required and if not, use it to help pay for this site. Bob

Boolit Master
    I see 4 so far.

David

Boolit Buddy

I'm interested in one.

I would like a bullet of straight Wheelweight metal with a body diameter of no less than .311 up to as much as .314. The ogive diameter I would like would be .3015 to .302 at the largest.

I plan to use this bullet primarily in .30-30 (M-94), 30-40 (Krag) & 30-06 (Various).

Have Fun, JCherry

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by David R
    I would like this one even more than the 311047. I have read a few wanting this one. I would give it a shot if we have 25 or so commitments.

Lemmeknow

David
    David, you need to let the crew know what your thinking is on this custom run. Are you going to do an exact copy of the Lyman slug or are you thinking of revisions? It's a very good design just as it sits, so long as it meets minimum dimensions in WW (.300x.310).

You might consider a direct copy of the Lyman and just goose the 'as cast' diameters a thou or so with WW.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Page 4 of the group buy on the 311407 has a pic of the modified 311041 that looks pretty good. If this is the mould to be used count me in so long as the mould will drop .314 of wheelweight alloy for my Enfield #4 Mk. 1.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    OK, I am interested in an exact copy of the original. Willbird traded me a couple of hundred for some lee soup cans and some HBWC. Well, 31141's are here and I love em just the way they are. Each band gets bigger as you move to the back of the boolit. Gas check fits perfect, Nost is slightly tapered, and a flat melpat for those that hunt. The ones I have measure .970 long without the gas check in place. Its supposed to be 170 grain boolit from #2 alloy. 314 is too big for ME, but we can compramise on the OD, I am thinking .312/301 from wheelweights.

I thought this had died out after only getting one response.

The drawing is still there, but hard to read. If 452.1 has already done a drawing, perhaps he could re post it here.

Boolit Master

Bullets drop from the mold easily ?

I for one will be vocal on this issue, My Lyman 31141 single cavity works like a dream in WW metal doing the BruceB. I would want a 6 cavity to do that as well, with just a light tap all 6 should drop from the mold.

I'll settle for whatever kind of grease grooves we have to have for that to happen..........

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Thumbs up

I'm in for one but only if it's an exact copy of the 311041. However, I'd also like an exact copy but with TL grooves.

Boolit Master
    I am surprised, I started this topic quite a while ago, got one response, then all the sudden everybody is jumping on the bandwagon. If I get this mold, when you open the Lyman 47th edition to 308, I will have every mold on the pages. I even have a 311644, but it doesn't shoot in MY guns.

I guess I am hooked.

Looks like we are going to do it. Working on getting drawings.

I never thought of a TL Rifle boolit, but if you could get it in the right size so it could be shot unsized, it would be great.

Maybe another group buy for that one. Lets let this one play out, then if all goes well on this one, I will do it. I think I have 7 30 cal molds. I have two 30 cal guns and a 32-20 TC contender. I have to buy more guns.........Maybe an 03A3. I always wanted a 30-30 bolt gun.......

David

Boolit Master
    I've got a Savage 340 in 30/30 and it doesn't like this mold at all. It favors the bigger nose of the 311291. On the other hand my 94 Winchester shoots the 311041 better than anything I've tried. I suspect that the Marlins would also favor the 311291 especially those with micorgroove.

Boolit Mold
    I'm in --if same as 311041.

Poorboy

DavidR---Your 311644 will not shoot in your gun. Did you try casting bullets with it and see if they do?

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast