Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 9mm 125 gr. four cavity HP or four cavity solid

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

MiHec 9mm 125 gr. four cavity HP or four cavity solid

I decided to try the mould out today. It was a bad decision. The wind is blowing like crazy. The only thing I could keep on my table was my lead, well almost.

The mould is tighter than what I'm used to so break in will take a bit longer. I had to lightly rap the mould handles with a hammer handle to get the mould to fully close on the back end. After I casted a couple hundred boolits the mould started closing all the way on its own. The round hollow pont pins are the best I've seen yet for releasing the boolits. I stopped casting after a couple hundred. I gave up due to wind conditions. The wind was giving me a hard time keeping my temps right too.
    This is going to be a fantastic mould. Tomorrow if the wind dies down I'll cast more. I should be able to get the mould broke in well enough tomorrow if I can run a pot full through it.

I have not measured the cast size yet as I can not put my hand on my 0-1" micrometer.

Most of what I cast went back in the pot but I did weed out some keepers. All of the last casts I made were keepers.
    Last edited by Down South; 02-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I decided to try the mould out today. It was a bad decision. The wind is blowing like crazy. The only thing I could keep on my table was my lead, well almost.

The mould is tighter than what I'm used to so break in will take a bit longer. I had to lightly rap the mould handles with a hammer handle to get the mould to fully close on the back end. After I casted a couple hundred boolits the mould started closing all the way on its own. The round hollow pont pins are the best I've seen yet for releasing the boolits. I stopped casting after a couple hundred. I gave up due to wind conditions. The wind was giving me a hard time keeping my temps right too.
    This is going to be a fantastic mould. Tomorrow if the wind dies down I'll cast more. I should be able to get the mould broke in well enough tomorrow if I can run a pot full through it.

I have not measured the cast size yet as I can not put my hand on my 0-1" micrometer.

Most of what I cast went back in the pot but I did weed out some keepers. All of the last casts I made were keepers.

My molds are all ways "tight" when new. It will brake inn as you all ready figure out.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

I loaded up 100 rounds of the Boolits. The Boolits as cast size were .3585-.359”. I slugged the barrel of the pistol I wanted to shoot these out of and the barrel slugged .356”. I sized the Boolits at .357” figuring .001” over should work.

I had a problem with the expander for 9mm on My Dillon “Powder Funnel”. It was causing my Boolits to resize down to .3555-.356” when loaded into the cases. I used a powder funnel for a 38/357 and all was good. After several dummy rounds that I pulled, the Boolits were staying at .357”.
    I made several other dummy rounds to set the OAL. I pulled the barrel from the pistol to get the correct length.
    I had good boolit retention so I only used enough crimp to take the bell out of the case mouth.
    The Boolits weighed 126 gr using the round HP pins. My load was 5.2 gr of Power Pistol. Not a barn burner but about middle of the road for the load data.
    I shot the 100 rounds yesterday. All feed flawlessly. I had a slight lead spear in the barrel after 100 rounds, nothing bad.
    The alloy was about 16-18 BHN. I’ll try a few other things later to see if I can get the boolit to shoot without any leading.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Hi DS,
    Thanks for the info on this! Your keepers look darn good (perfect?) to me. I ordered a 4-cav solid in this for my 9mm's. I have a feeling my 9mm RCBS mold is going to be sad and needing a new home soon!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I've cast a few hundred more with the mould. It is breaking in well. I plan a mass cast this week. I need to cast a few K and size them for the summer shooting. I'll take a few pics when I cast a bunch of these up later on this week.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy
    Did you get the .357 or .359 mold?
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Quote Originally Posted by timberhawk View Post
    Did you get the .357 or .359 mold?
    I ordered the .357" but changed my mind and sent a PM to MiHec to change it to .359". I'm glad that I did. .357" would have too small.

Oh, I did cast over 1,100 more the other day. About a full pot full.
    Last edited by Down South; 03-18-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Bub
    The end result looks very nice. Making me wish I had seen this soon enough to get in on the group buy.
    Though right now finding any 9mm mold is hit or miss.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range GARCIA's Avatar
    Glad to see this post.
    Got in on the last GB for the identical mold. Must be a good one as it is the third or fourth run on these molds. Have some other molds from Miha and yes they do take a bit of time to get everything functioning smoothly but that really is the price for precision. Once it is set all you will do is cast quality bullets from it.

Now if I could only get Miha to make a run of the "RUGER ONLY" mold in a 4 cavity with the pins I would be set!!

Enjoy that mold and good casting!!

Tom

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    GARCIA, here is something for you:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...61#post2149461

I will rerun the MiHec 9mm 125 gr. four cavity HP or four cavity solid again after the current run is out.

Boolit Buddy
    I got lucky and just came into about 2,000.00 .357 Sig once fired brass. Don't have a gun or reloading dies, yet.
    I'm thinking about buying an after market barrel for my Glock model 27.
    Has anyone tried to load this bullet in the Sig or it too long or the wrong ogive?
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Boolit Master
    I load them for a glock 22 with an aftermarket barrel without issue, but I was informed by another user on the forum that the length was to long for a baby glock. I don't think it would make a difference, but I also do not have one to try. A barrel for the 29 should be here soon for me to try it in as well.

Its a beauty..masterpiece!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0307.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	86815
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0309.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	86816

One of best molds i have.Solid,roung holow or penta holow,take your pick This mold love to run a hot...with my alloy i get 125 grain for holow point and 130 grain a solid.Ideal weight for my choice...

Like Balta, I love my M-P 359-125 mold, and it does love to run hot. Heating mold up on hot plate on medium setting and lead temps in RCBS Promelt showing between 750° and 800°, I cast these beauties in a couple hours yesterday afternoon.

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Master

Nice work. I really like that mould and wish I shot more 9MM. I am using a hot plate to keep the mould hot and adopted the paddle trick from the attached video for the penta-HP pins. My first brass mould so I cast along with the iron ones so I can keep it up to temperature.

http://youtu.be/CXUBKjhaOxI

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 357. Penta hp are 126-128 from what I weighed so far. Two were 130, could have been my fault or not having it closed all the way as it is still tight.

Would 5 grains of unique work, or is that too much?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Finarfin View Post
    I have the 357. Penta hp are 126-128 from what I weighed so far. Two were 130, could have been my fault or not having it closed all the way as it is still tight.

Would 5 grains of unique work, or is that too much?
    What cartridge are you loading with that ? The cartridge capacity will make a big difference.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran the mold some more today. It's starting to break in. Boolits are looking much prettier and come in about 127.6 grains give or take .5 grains. I'm pretty impressed so far. That's pretty close for 4 cavities.

Finarfin,

In my opinion 5.0grs of Unique with this bullet is too much for 9mm. I have been happily running 4.0grs. and it is a pretty decent load. In my Lyman 47th edition it lists an Lyman mold that I have not seen before 356634, which looks to closely resemble this Mihec mold, and list a weight of 130 grs. In that manual it lists a starting load of 3.5gr. of Unique and a Max of 4.0grs.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast