Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Starter Progressive Press??

Boolit Buddy
    Does loosening the allen screws on the Pawls actually adjust something or is it just loosening them so they can be adjusted? Does that make sense? Do they need to be tightened back up after adjusting the pawls?

Boolit Buddy
    Get down there and cycle the press slowly, you can see why it off timing and looking at it you will see what way to move the fingers, I had to do the same thing. And yes read the manual, I never do, I was bored about a month after getting os read and had lots of duh moments. Can you take pics if the die? Something is funked up
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the depriming thing all taken care of. As for the Pawls...I loosened the screws and it seems to make the Pawls raise and lower.(not sure if it's just my eyes or not) I actually have ervything adjusted very nicely right now, I'm just trying to find out if I need to tighten the screws back up or will that throw it all out of whack again?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mischief View Post
    Does loosening the allen screws on the Pawls actually adjust something or is it just loosening them so they can be adjusted? Does that make sense? Do they need to be tightened back up after adjusting the pawls?
    Yes it rises and lowers the pots, Go slowly and pay attention
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the depriming thing all taken care of. As for the Pawls...I loosened the screws and it seems to make the Pawls raise and lower.(not sure if it's just my eyes or not) I actually have ervything adjusted very nicely right now, I'm just trying to find out if I need to tighten the screws back up or will that throw it all out of whack again?
    If it's running nicely now I would just leave it alone, I only had to do it once by the way I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds sense
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    So, just to clarify...do NOT tighten the screws for the pawls after it's all set and indexing correctly?

Boolit Mold
    So how is the LnL working out? I'm researching presses and would like to hear if you think you made the right choice.

Boolit Buddy
    It's working great! I originally anticipated loading 1500-2000 rounds a year on it. I just wanted to be able to load them quickly, when I needed them or when I got "the itch". I've already loaded over 1000 rounds on it in the few weeks it's been up and running. I just received my Hornady bullet loader so that's the next project.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatteR View Post
    So how is the LnL working out? I'm researching presses and would like to hear if you think you made the right choice.

Boolit Mold
    Very cool, thanks for the update. The LnL is definitely on my short list. Now i'm just waiting on my C&R to see if I can score a decent discount on a press.
    It's working great! I originally anticipated loading 1500-2000 rounds a year on it. I just wanted to be able to load them quickly, when I needed them or when I got "the itch". I've already loaded over 1000 rounds on it in the few weeks it's been up and running. I just received my Hornady bullet loader so that's the next project.

Boolit Master
    mischief,

I just discovered this thread and read it from front to end ......... whew!!

No one actually answered your question about the pawl adjustment.

The allen screws are not for for tightening and loosening .... they are the adjustment.

Now that you got it working fine ..... that's good ....... if it's working ... don't mess with it.

I am a recent buyer ..... first of this year of a LNL and I researched this at great length before I bought in.

Unequivocally, I am a confirmed LNL owner now!

I like you had a little trouble with indexing ...... I have many plates and I adjusted the indexing in the begining and thought I had it whipped ........ but one plate out of many I bought later was giving me fits ........

That plate works well now after about 300 rounds so that is likely that but I also find that if you under tighten or over tighten the shell plate you can influence indexing. Also remember to lightly lube the index balls on the underside if the shell plate when you install it and perhaps now and then if you are loading a lot without changing it periodically.

The most important thing to remember about pawl adjustment is to go very easy .... it's recommended that you turn 1/32 of a turn at time ...... that's VERY slight .... and the second thing is to take a note pad and record your adjustment with particular attention to which pawl you moved and which way you turned it .... if things get worse ... you need a trail of bread crumbs to guide you back.

One other tip is to take the case retainer spring and give it a good cleaning and dry lube with the Hornady case lube. This spring contacts the shell plate just about 100% so it's role in affecting shell plate rotation can not be overstated. Your spring will last longer as well in my opinion.

I will say, I have loaded a TON with single stage and a fair amount with turrets. I have no hands on experience with Dillons. But I read a lot and if Dillons did not break ........ how do all these folks know that their warrantee service is so good?

?????

As other's have said ....... all is fallible ........... so to berate a Hornady because there are some tweaking and such is not telling the whole truth.

I like my Hornady because of value and performance ........ I have a auto index press that will load virtually any of my many calibers ..... handgun and rifle alike and it switches between cartridges with less effort and less cost.

A friend of mine who has never even see a progressive before started loading on my LNL ........ I'd do the caliber change and he'd bring his components and have at it. Right off he loaded 50 rounds of .30 Carbine in his first 15 minutes as he was just getting the feel of it ....... I left the room and went back to the house ......... in no time he was knocking on my back door and told me he was DONE ... with the total of 300 rds. ........... Next visit I set him up for .41 mag .......... same result ........ next, he rounded up all of his .38 special and same result ...........

I never told him he needed to get his own LNL .............. he was welcome to use mine! But last week he bought his own! I'll help him set it up and he'll be off like a scalded dog as well.

That's my take on it!

Best regards

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-07-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the definitive answer. I was concerned because the pawls seem to move around just a little bit now that I have backed the screws out a touch in order to adjust them. I'll leave them be and continue loading!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567