Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Starter Progressive Press??

Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    Why buy new when used will do????
    Sounds like you load kinda like I do. My volume maybe a little higher than yours, but I like to do say 300 or 400 and not mess with it for a while.

I like to buy used because. Like my Hornady Projector I paid $150 for after 5 ten years it will still be worth about the same. As long as I dont beat it.

The old ones dont have the features of the new ones but they work just fine for med volume work.
    Consider it at least.
    I am Cheeser, and I approve THIS message!

Boolit Master
    What is a starter progressive press? Never heard of one.

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the info. It sounds like it's down to the 550 or the Hornady LNL.

I have a 550, I load 357 magnum, 30-30, 223, 30.06, 45acp, and 38 special on it. I did make one alteration, and that was to thread the holes on the tool heads, and enlarge the top holes on the press so the screw for the tool heads will just fit through. This locks the tool head in place, and I do not get any variation in the seat depth from the first one through to the last one through. I do most of my sizing for the rifles on a single stage, because I trim after the sizing.. I do my priming with a hand primer, while I sit watching a movie.. I finished loading the last 300 223 bullets I had, in about 35-40 minutes..All I had to do was keep an eye on the powder level..as all the brass was primed already.. It only takes about 5 minutes to change to a different caliber..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Cheaper than the 650 NOT the 550
    Bought my LNL AP for $999.00, cheapest i've seen for the 650 has been over $1,300.00 for the whole kit and kaboodle which is what i got with the Hornady. I didn't just get the press, I bought the whole "ammo plant" kit with the case feeder and boolit feeder too.

Quote Originally Posted by -Mischief View Post
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the info. It sounds like it's down to the 550 or the Hornady LNL.
    Did I miss something? The 550 is a 4 station press, manually indexed and bullet loaded in the left rear position. Don't get me wrong...it will make ammo but, why limit your safety to no powder check die? Plus, make it more difficult to see into the charged case before adding the bullet. Then, compound those limitations by the fact that the 550 manual indexing makes it much more likely to double charge than any auto indexing press. -Mischief, there is no comparison between the two when one puts safety first and looks at the facts without the hype.

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE=johnnybar; there is no comparison between the two when one puts safety first and looks at the facts without the hype.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm....seems like someone really doesn't like the 550.

Having used my 550 for over fifteen years, I can say that NONE of the "problems" mentioned above have occurred in my operations.

When the instructions are followed and due care is taken, the 550 runs quite safely. As in ANY handloading activity, THINK about what you're doing!

Dillon must be doing something right... there are probably a hundred thousand (or more) 550 presses in service out there. They are back-ordered for months right now.

(I tried a Hornady progressive and didn't like it...call me prejudiced?)
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybar View Post
    Did I miss something? The 550 is a 4 station press, manually indexed and bullet loaded in the left rear position. Don't get me wrong...it will make ammo but, why limit your safety to no powder check die? Plus, make it more difficult to see into the charged case before adding the bullet. Then, compound those limitations by the fact that the 550 manual indexing makes it much more likely to double charge than any auto indexing press. -Mischief, there is no comparison between the two when one puts safety first and looks at the facts without the hype.
    Having used the Dillon 550 in addition to many of the auto advance progressives... I prefer the manually advanced Dillon 550. It don't move unless I move it. Saying that... it just means that what is great for one may not be right for everyone. After tens of thousands of rounds, I have never had a double charge or a squib load. If you can pay attention while reloading, quality ammo can be made with any of the mass produced reloading equipment available.

I like the simplicity of the 550. It just plain makes ammo fast. If something gets jambed up, you know it, and it can be unjambed real quick.

If you need a buzzer to tell you you didn't drop powder, then get one. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. Only you know what your level of competence or concentration is. Some folks just can't work machinery and will screw up everything. Others can start with a pile of rusted junk and get perfect reloads.

Buy what you like. Buy what you want. Buy what feels good to you when using it.

And please... let us know what you end up with.

The 650 is a better press than the 550 for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hmmm....seems like someone really doesn't like the 550.

Having used my 550 for over fifteen years, I can say that NONE of the "problems" mentioned above have occurred in my operations.

When the instructions are followed and due care is taken, the 550 runs quite safely. As in ANY handloading activity, THINK about what you're doing!

Dillon must be doing something right... there are probably a hundred thousand (or more) 550 presses in service out there. They are back-ordered for months right now.

(I tried a Hornady progressive and didn't like it...call me prejudiced?)
    Bruce,
    It sounds like we are both very experienced reloaders and thankfully neither of us has had an OOPS! moment with our reloads. But, bear in mind, we are responding to a "starter" progressive user. Press color aside, any press with the features specifically noted will be better suited for the safety of the shooter. That puts the 650 and the LNL AP in the spotlight with the 550 well into third. No prejudice, just facts. We could fill pages debating what matters and doesn't matter but, in the end, the facts remain...

Banned

id defineately go 550 dilion. the lee presses ive had were so touchy i seemed to be doing more fooling with the press then loading and for a beginer thats not what you want. You want to keep your head into the loading chore. If your mechanical inclined and are an experienced loader and are on a tight buget go for it but what ive seen with the lees is usually there bought by guys like you that are a bit inexperienced and trying to save a buck and a year later there selling them for about nothing and buying a better press anyway. The hornady is a much better press then the lees and i mean hands down better but still tend to take more tweaking then a good old 550. the 550 has an advantage with that manual advance. Less things that need to be adjusted and less parts=reliability. Nice thing too about it is if its an only press you can use it as a single stage press if you want to.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my 550. I think a manual advance is better for a beginner.

As for safety, the number one safety device is between the ears. No mechanical device can make up for a failure of the human brain.

Boolit Buddy
    In summary, the Hornady LNL has all the features of the Dillon 650 but, is much cheaper. However, the Dillon automatic case feeder is about $50 cheaper than the Hornady. Changing calibers on the LNL is faster and cheaper. The powder measure on the LNL is VASTLY SUPERIOR TO THE DILLON, at least in my opinion. I bought the LNL and am very satisfied. A shooting buddy of mine is a long time, dedicated Dillon user. He has three! After giving me a ration of "stuff" about my choice, he came over and used my LNL and sheepishly said, "That's a very nice setup!!"
    + 1 for what Johnnybar wrote. I have not used a Dillon but did a lot of research before buying the LnL AP and when you find honest posts from owners of both presses what you read is what Johnnybar wrote. Both are great presses but for the money and features the LnL is a better choice. I have loaded over 10000 pistol and rifle rounds on my LnL with no problems and would not trade it for anything else. I am not sure if you can find a LnL AP at the moment as most Hornady stuff seams to be backordered for a couple months but then again I have not looked at the press just bullet feeder dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mischief View Post
    I have been loading on my single stage Lee press for a couple of years and would like to be able to knock out 2-300 cartridges in an hour rather than 50-75. Now, I don't do this often. I don't load 5000 rounds a year...more like 1500 pistol and rifle together. My reason for getting a progressive press is the time it takes to do a certain amount, as dicribed above, not to bang out 500 rounds a night..every night.

I've been looking at a Dillon 650 but that seems like over kill for what I need it for.

Oh, one other thing....CONVENIENCE!! I would prefer an AUTO loader that does everything. (except for sense the accuracy of the powder charge)

I've looked at a Lee Pro 1000...seems like a great deal for $225-250 used.

What do you all think? Any other models you may suggest? I'd like to stay under $300 unless everyone says "get the Dillon", then I understand I'll be pushing $1000.

Thanks in advance.
    I believe the 650 would be overkill for what you do. I have one and love it, but it's when making "great piles of ammo" that it really excels. To me it sounds like you could move up to a Lee turret and be happy. I've got the Lee Classic 4-Hole turret as a second press and it does the job.

-RFL

The RCBS Pro 2000 is often overlooked when the progressive discussion comes up.

They're a great press. RCBS Warranty and APS strip priming are 2 of the best things in the reloading world in my opinion.

Caliber changes are super easy. The RCBS powder measure is rock solid.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I like my 550. I think a manual advance is better for a beginner.

As for safety, the number one safety device is between the ears. No mechanical device can make up for a failure of the human brain.
    I honestly don't understand how people arrive at the conclusion that the manual advance of the 550 is better for a beginner. Of course the best safety is using our brain and looking in every case before you seat a bullet. That's a given and not a good reason to buy one press over another.

Auto index gives the new reloader one less thing to worry about, same thing with case feed. A person will be able to concentrate more on looking in every case, stroking the press consistently, and just developing good habits in general. The fifth station and the powder check make it no contest. You can also get powder check conversion kits so it's not like you have to buy a powder check for every caliber you reload.

A used 550B would be dandy if you can find one. Unlikely it would be worn out. If it was, you could still get it overhauled FREE. SDB press is great for one pistol caliber but not very versatile. You would be better served by the 550B. Go Blue.
    Dan

Love Life
    You don't need a powder check die. How hard is it to stand up when reloading so you can see in the case? How hard is it to mount the press so when you are sitting down you can look in the case? How hard is it to remove the locator button and look in the case? It is no easier to double charge on a progressive than it is on a single stage press. Pay attention to what you are doing and you won't have any problems.

It is not putting safety first. It is using mechanical devices to make up for lack of attention to detail.

Everybody has a scale out and periodically checks powder charges right? All of them are machines and will do exactly what you ask of them. If you ask them to double charge, then they will double charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    It is not putting safety first. It is using mechanical devices to make up for lack of attention to detail.
    It's using a mechanical device to augment safety, has nothing to do with making up for a lack of attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    You don't need a powder check die. How hard is it to stand up when reloading so you can see in the case? How hard is it to mount the press so when you are sitting down you can look in the case? How hard is it to remove the locator button and look in the case? It is no easier to double charge on a progressive than it is on a single stage press. Pay attention to what you are doing and you won't have any problems.

Everybody has a scale out and periodically checks powder charges right? All of them are machines and will do exactly what you ask of them. If you ask them to double charge, then they will double charge.
    Please understand that my next comment is intended only to illustrate a point. No put down, belittling or bullying is intended.

Let's all ride a bicycle to work, fish with row boats only, and shoot timed pistol events with a muzzleloader. Ridiculous right? But, these comments would make sense with your way of looking at mechanical devices because, how hard is it to: pedal a bike, row a boat, or pour powder and ball down a barrel. If a device can improve one's odds of a mishap not occurring, from say 1:100,000 to 1:1,000,000, pray tell, why should we not employ the use of that device and recommend it to others?
    Last edited by johnnybar; 02-27-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast