Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass RF jackets and AR tubes??

Boolit Bub

Brass RF jackets and AR tubes??

Was talking to a buddy and educating him on the RF .224 jackets that could be my new hobby. He claims that the brass jacket residue is hard on the gas tubes or the port to the gas tube.

Has anyone had any issues with this??

Don

Boolit Master

Did he explain how he knows this?

Boolit Bub
    Said one of the guys on his police dept tried it and after several hundred rounds it plugged up the gas port. He disassymbled the rifle for diagnosis.

Don

Boolit Master

I heard if from a friend who Heard it from a friend who heard it from another........ B.S. Straight lead bullets have been known to strip and plug gas ports. Hence Ruger recommends that you not shoot cast or straight PB bullets in their rifles. Lots of folks on this site will argue that point too. If brass which is slightly harder than gilding metal is going to harm the gas ports or gas tubes just imagine what regular gilding metal jacketed bullets are doing to it. Any metal that is softer than the bore of your rifle is not going to harm it. The only caveat that I would raise is this one make doubly certain that your brass is perfectly clean for both your rifles bore and your dies. It will not harm your rifle in any way at all.

Boolit Master

Well, the brass in RF cases is a different composition (more zinc) from the gilding metal used in commercial jacketed bullets; it's also thinner. It sounds as if the brass is shaving on the port, which is something that may vary from one rifle to the next or may indicate a need to make the bullets smaller (.001 reduction might cut down or eliminate brass in the port and still shoot okay) or use a slightly harder core. Lapping the bore (hand lapping, with the barrel out of the gun by preference; I wouldn't suggest fire lapping a gas operated rifle) is likely to help some, as it'll tend to break down the sharp edge in the gas port.

Beyond that, his experience may just suggest a maximum interval between full take-down cleanings and extra attention to the gas port at each cleaning.

Vendor Sponsor

Commercial jackets (guilding metal) = 95%copper 5% zink

Brass jackets = 70% copper 30% zink

I don't see how there can be that much differnce in shooting either when it comes to gas tubes?

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    I have ran at least 5,000 rounds rf jacketed bullets through one of my ar's with no problems.

Boolit Bub
    Dont shoot the messanger!!!! Honest question. Didnt want to rile up the crowd. I believe that what make my own is saying is a possibility, however it should do the same with copper. Right??

I am excited to try some to see how they work in my AR. Might have to swing over to bullet swap.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    Would never shoot the messenger.

When I first got my swaging set up I shot thousands of 'em and never an issue with any of my guns. Is it possible someone has a gun that stripped jacket material into the gas port - yes, but it's not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxcatcher View Post
    Was talking to a buddy and educating him on the RF .224 jackets that could be my new hobby. He claims that the brass jacket residue is hard on the gas tubes or the port to the gas tube. Has anyone had any issues with this?? Don
    Brass jackets, with 30% zinc, are harder relative to gilding metal jackets, with 5% zinc content. It will take thousands upon thousands of rounds to see any difference but, eventually there will be some signs of wear appear. Does it make a difference?...No. The savings will far offset the cost of a new barrel. Let's say you save 10 cents per bullet and fire 10,000 rds before rebarreling. That's $1000 dollars vs an AR rebarrel. Anneal the RF cases and the difference lessens considerably.

Vendor Sponsor

Majority of us shooting these jackets made from brass do anneal the brass first. I recomend it as standard procedure.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

SInce I am primarily going the swaging route for my ARs, I'll follow this closely but I am betting BS. The only way brass stripping could be an issue IMO, is if the brass was over annealed & made very soft. Maybe Brian can help with this, JMO.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I have heard of a bur created when the hole for the gas port was drilled out. As someone else mentioned here, the best way to solve it is to lap it out or at least smooth it out.

If brass jackets are doing it so are the copper ones.
    Last edited by MIBULLETS; 02-24-2013 at 10:30 PM.

In Remembrance

One of my ar's ONLY ever sees .22LR jacketed swaged bullets, at 720 RPM. Never any issues. Here's me, at the beginning of the video, black shirt, white hat, swaged .22 lr bullets at 720 rpm, all day long like that. Many thousands of rounds down the pipe.

You expert buddy just doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Bub
    Now I guess the only question is.......how long of a wait if I order now???

Don

Foxcatcher send BT Sniper a PM and he'll be glad to tell ya. I have an older corbin set up and while it is cheaper than buying it's like casting, it takes time. But it's something that you can depend upon being able to do yourself.

dito
    I have been shooting 22lr boolits for years in both mini 14 and ar's no problem's

Boolit Master

Have shot many thousands of my homemade ones in AR, no issues. Before that, useta get the same from an outfit called MHG, went through 10,000 of his, man I think they were like $50/K then ! Wondered what happened to that outfit, ads in Shotgun News for years, then nada.

I'll chime in and add that my old Colt SP1 has had nothing else but 22 RF jacketed bullets through it since 1984. A conservative round count would be over 10,000 rds.