Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Manual for New Reloader

Boolit Master

Best Manual for New Reloader

Good evening,
    A friend of mine left me a phone message, asking what I'd recommend for reference material, for someone wanting to get started in reloading. He'd like to read about the whole process in depth, he's a sharp guy. He doesn't own any tools, presses etc. yet.
    I think he's looking for a publication to read that covers it all, the basics to touching on the advanced.

I know all loading manuals have the process dissected in their front pages, but is there a single publication that you have experience with, that you feel should be a must read for a newby? (and currently available) I'd rather he not have to go and buy 2, 3 or 4 different loading manuals off the bat.
    I've heard good things about the Lyman Reloading Manual, but I've never owned one.

I'm available to help him along the way, and more than happy to do it. I've been handloading for 34 years. I myself, learned by reading a single Speer reloading manual number 10.

But as you all know, sometimes you just want a book to read to learn about a subject.

I appreciate your responses.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 02-23-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    I have loaned the 47th edition Lyman reloading handbook to a couple of friends.It is very easy to understand and yet detailed.It is also nice that it is printed in larger text for people like me with short arms.Last I checked you could still pick these up used at a decent price.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master
    Several Manuals!!! In addition to Lyman I would also get Speer, Hornady and/or Sierra manuals. I would start out with 3-4 manuals and accumulate more as time and money allow. NEVER throw a manual away. Loads will vary in different manuals. Cross check your loads in several manuals and avoid real high or light loads to start. The above has worked for me most of the time for the last 48 years.

For starting out the Lyman do go through things well. As do the simple sheets that come with lee dies!
    The ABC of reloading books do not have load data in them but are excellent for talking about the how and why of certain steps - case trimming, headspace, crimp, pressure signs etc. I have the older Dean Grennell and the 8th ed by Bill Chevalier.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    Any edition of Lyman's 45th through 49th, plus one each of any Hornady and Sierra manual.

Boolit Master
    Most of the powder companies have reloading manuals available and they are free! It's a cheap and easy way to build a reloading library. Some are available for down loading and can be sent to you.

Here are just a few:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf

http://www.wwpowder.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

Boolit Master
    For a new reloader, not into casting, yet. I would say Richard Lee's modern reloading. It has chapters that very well explain each step in the process and why. There is a lot of blatant product touting, but why not, it's his book. Also, it's only about $15-$20.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I started out with a Speer manual that came with an RCBS kit that included the old iron RCBS Jr press, a lube pad, a powder measure, and a scale. Since then I added Hornady, Sierrra, Lee, and Lyman manuals, along with some freebees from powder manufacturers. If I were just starting out, I think I'd want to start with the Lyman manual. All manuals have a front section with similar How-to information, followed by load data. The Lyman manual is a bit more complete in that it has some cast boolit loads for each caliber listed. Further, their data for jacketed bullets isn't brand-specific. They appear to have developed that jacketed data independent of brand. They don't make jacketed bullets for sale, so IMO their data can be used to start with on most of the common bullet brands.

Moderator Emeritus

Lee's second edition!
    The entire first half of the book is nothing but how to do it and why you do it that way stuff. Safety and procedure, equipment, the whole 9 yards.
    I have gotten 2 new reloaders involved in handloading through that book. I've read the first half numerous times myself, it's not a bad idea to do this as a refresher.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    For a new reloader, not into casting, yet. I would say Richard Lee's modern reloading. It has chapters that very well explain each step in the process and why. There is a lot of blatant product touting, but why not, it's his book. Also, it's only about $15-$20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    Lee's second edition!
    The entire first half of the book is nothing but how to do it and why you do it that way stuff. Safety and procedure, equipment, the whole 9 yards.
    I have gotten 2 new reloaders involved in handloading through that book. I've read the first half numerous times myself, it's not a bad idea to do this as a refresher.
    Concur. For beginning reloaders who've never pulled a handle, Richard Lee's book is hard to beat as it explains the entire process in detail. His product touting gets a bit tedious, but again, it's his book. But as far as the process goes, combined with good and SAFE data for a whole slew of cartridges and calibers, it's my number one recommend.

Banned

"Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee best all around and the pimping of Lee Precision products is especially good if you use Lee Precision products as most do. His history of the reloading industry is interesting as well. No single man has done more for more reloaders than Richard Lee. As always, I say God bless Richard Lee and Lee Precision for sponsoring this site.

Boolit Master
    There is nothing that covers 'basic to advanced' reloading methods. Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Sierra manuals all cover the basic instructions very well. There's little to be gained from buying multipule manuals, they have different words and illustrations for newbies but they all cover the same stuff.

Manuals by specific powder or bullet makers are no more helpful than a manual by a specific case or primer or rifle maker. The book data was developed in a different firearm than ours and that difference has a potentially greater impact than who did the testing for a manual. Anyone who develops his loads properly will be quite safe; if he doesn't it won't make a bit of difference who printed his manual.

On the recommendation of a very wise old man, I only owned one manual for the first five years of my 45+ years of reloading and never felt handicapped until several new powders and cartridges came out. By the time I got my second manual I had sufficent personal experience so the normal differences in manuals didn't make me come unglued; I strongly recommend a single manual for any newbie, which one of those listed above hardly matters.
    Last edited by 1hole; 02-23-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    NRA Guide to Reloading. Basics, nothing advanced.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Lyman. ABCs of Reloading. The later is available on Kindle format.

Take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    When I started, I thought the Speer manual was more useful than the Lyman. I also find myself using more of the Speer data as time goes on. My two cents.

Moderator Emeritus
    The Complete Handloader by John Wooters.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replys guys, He's picked up a Lyman, ABC's of reloading & a Speer #14. These are what was available locally. He's gonna read through these to tide him over; while in the midst of the "panic". Once, (if) the market begins to catch up with the demand, he's gonna start the compilation of equipment.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 02-25-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Can't spell this am.
    Bob

Boolit Master

The ABC's of Reloading 5th edition by Dean Grennell.
    Great book, covers everything and Dean was a great writer and a pleasure to read.
    Be warned however that this book doesn't have any load data in it. It just covers procedures.
    So your friend would still have to buy one more book.
    I checked and this book is available from Amazon used for 20 bucks.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for Lee's manual. Good bit of sales hype but it's a solid, easy to read reference. Has lead boolit loads, to boot.

Boolit Master

Lee 2nd edition and ABC's of reloading
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus