Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Making 45acp shotshells (My Way)

Boolit Master

Good deal George on the die set. I'll look into the 45 Win Mag cases if I ever run across any. Would you be willing to share your recipe on the load with Unique? Which check fits the 45 Win mag case after using the RCBS dies? And how much shot do you get in the case between the checks? I use .375 checks on the top but didn't know if the check would be ok over powder, so I use a round cardboard over the powder. Do you happen to have any pictures you could could post for us? Thanks for your input.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Cheese1566,that is fantastic. Yes I'd say they look really nice. Looks like they do a nice job too. If you had a color monitor you'd see that I am green with envy. Nice job. I am currently working on a few more pieces of brass. This time I used a 44 mag die for the neck reduction. I have them trimmed to 1.18". That may be a tad short, but we'll see. I have been to busy to load them but I'll get to it as soon as I can. Your sacrificial washer is a very good idea. Probably better than using the top of the die to register the saw blade. Keep us posted.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    You guys got me hooked on this! I got a pack of racoons around here that are gonna hate these! Especially if they make a pop sound instead of a bang! Now to collect the parts. I think I just need the .40 S&W sizing die. I've got a set of .38 spcl/.357 mag dies I don't use and a spare .357 mag expanding die but no .40 S&W. The hunt is on!

Boolit Master

Springfield, these aren't by any means quiet loads.. not pop, not up to the level of a ball round but far from silent.

Boolit Master

+1 on what trooperdan said. I was surprised at the power level I felt at firing. Some experimentation might yield a lighter load, but these are an attempt to have a load that cycles the action.

I have a scanned copy of C.E. Harris' article on .45 shotshells from the April 1976 American Rifleman, 4 pages.

Not sure of the ethics etc., of posting it on the forum, perhaps it would be OK to email?

jim

Boolit Buddy
    Either way I'm in! These should still work great for grouse loads as well.

I'll take a copy of that article if you don't mind!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I hope I am not hijacking this thread...Grumpa please PM if offended.
    On something like this I appreciate the efforts from all parties involved. I just kinda opened the door to the way I do things and I'm not saying it's the only way either.

The way I look at it it's the meeting of the minds and/or talents of more than one person that helps spread the knowledge/abilities around giving folks food for thought.

So the more ideas that are introduced in my mind "the more the merrier" type of a thing.

Just keep up on the ideas in the idea dept. and I'm sure it's going to give a lot of folks something to think about doing in the long run.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenjuudo View Post
    I have a scanned copy of C.E. Harris' article on .45 shotshells from the April 1976 American Rifleman, 4 pages.

Not sure of the ethics etc., of posting it on the forum, perhaps it would be OK to email?

jim
    Similar or the same article in one of the Handloader's Digests. I was lucky enough to buy part of a commercial reloader's estate some years back. I missed on his presses and most dies, but got most of his molds, alloy, and the RCBS .45 ACP shotshell die set. Load as Harris suggests, using WW 231, and the loads will cycle in most 1911s I've tried them in.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the article, thanks! Adding it to my reload binder today! Anxious to hear updates, my brain has been working on overdrive thinking about this project! Thanks again for all the inputs and knowledge about this.

Hope I got everyone on the article, if not let me know. Have a lifetime supply of the shells loaded up. Found I have a small stash of #8 shot left if anyone is in need just send me a PM.

jim

Jim,
    I replied to your email offer.

Jim , thank you for the article ! I did a little searching online and found some more info on 45 acp shotshells. Just may have to make a set of dies with his plans .

http://www.ammomfg.com/funstuff/45_shot_cartridges.pdf

Boolit Master

Hey Frank:
    These dies were my first project when I got my Grizzly lathe, and built my "man shed". I made them about 3-4 months ago. I had to buy the two metric drill bits, but it was fun making the dies.
    The dies come out fine. I used 7/8x14 tpi grade 5 bolts for the dies. I used the lathe to shorten 06 and 270 brass, then ran the shortened brass through the first die. Worked great. I did change the primer punch a little. I turned it so it would straighten out any remaining roll crimp on the fired cases. This works great also. I am waiting to get to the range to get some 308 brass to make my final loaded rounds.
    The 06 and 270 brass that I made up chambers like factory shells, but I want to use 308 brass for the proper extraction groove.
    Reguards
    Jack

Jim

thank you for the article.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Over 25 years ago, I remember sitting in the LGS of an ex-SF mustang major that did very much custom reloading. He made 45 ACP shotshells just as everyone has been talking about here with one difference. He placed a round lead cast ball - and I can't remember if it was .32" or .36" - on top of the lead shot and crimped on it. It made a very nice round tip on the end of the loaded round. I remember he mentioned the cast lead ball would hit pretty close to POA. They sure looked pretty slick. He sold them for $1 each, way back then. Since I didn't have a 45 then, I never tried any.
    Last edited by OBXPilgrim; 03-29-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

In Remembrance
    I've been debating if I should post this here or on my sales page but I'll post here as a feeler anyway. I got in some 308 blanks and was converting them into other things but I do have a few rejects and can trim and form the necks, pretty much all you have to do is fill the cases and form the mouth of the case, so if anyone is interested just send me a PM, I plan on selling them at .25ea plus shipping.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 03-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

I love this forum.

I will add a few of my findings. made some 45acp shot shells used 243& 308 cases neck sized before trimming in 41mag.seating die used 410 wad cut to .750 seated hard on powder with a dowel fill with #8 shot top wad cut from hard cardboard ,ww primer box ,seated & crimped with a lee 380 seating die with a home made extened seating stem. cases were cut with a small tubing cutter & trimmed with a case trimmer used a 41mag. expander die. do not soften case necks they will expand & make hard extraction. I used 5.2 gr Unique with app. 95gr.of #8 any more powder would cause the necks to stick in the chamber. these would work in both of my Colts they would go through both sides of a steel can at 20 ft. & put 65% of the shot in a 9" paper plate. top wad sealed with Elmers glue.35cal. gas check will work but I,m cheep

Found a Hornady 32 S&W/Magnum die set has a seater die that has a nice big 45 degree angle to guide the bullet/case into the die. Adjusted down until the seater stem is next to the angled guide, and it makes a nice crimp. Works pretty good with a .36" ball on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0471_mod.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	66210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0474_mod2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	66211

Couldn't find any "brass" .308 cases, so, since I found some nickled .308's, well they just look kinda shiny, huh?

Total weight of the payload is 130grs, but I'm still working on the charge of Unique. Got some to try this weekend.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast