Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: H&R 1871 Target Classic

Boolit Master

A tricked-out Buffalo Classic

Boy.... for a "budget rifle" i sure have gone overboard with this one.
    Started by making a barrel weight. Then I added the Leatherwood scope w/long-range mount, since all it needed was to drill out and re-tap two existing holes. Next came the Monte Carlo (Handi_rifle) stock and a cheek rest to get my eyeball up. I'm not crazy about the recoil pad; too 'sticky' and really not needed.
    Gruoups are shrinking nicely as I exorcise the Loose Screw Demons.
    Here's a coupla pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FL1.JPG   HR6.JPG   SA1.JPG  

Made in U.S.A.
    JSnover

That is one good looking NEF/H&R!

Have had good luck shrinking my groups
    with playing with the lock up of the action.
    Need to get it as close to 100% as possible.

It seems vertical stringing is the big killer.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the comments and advice, Swede. Wife thinks I should call it the "Brothel Classic"
    I'm considering carefully polishing the barrel locking lug and finding a 'smith who can lighten the trigger a bit, but only after the bore is seasoned and the parts are all cinched down. The groups will tighten up nicely, and then fall apart as another screw backs out. Even so, I'm having a whole lotta fun with it!

"one piece at a time..." --Johnny Cash

Boolit Master

JSnover, Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment but the chasing down and correcting flaws in a rifle amount to at least half the fun. If it came from the factory shooting 1" groups at 1,000 yards, I wouldn't want it. I have one rifle, a CZ 550 in 30/06, that came out of the box shooting under 1" at a hundred yards. That rifle has been to the range exactly one time, and that was when I first tried it out after I bought it. It's a great rifle, just uninteresting because there is nothing to "tinker" with it. I guess I'm just hardheaded fat ol man. James

Made in U.S.A.
    JSnover

Trigger work is not to bad.
    If you go to:
    http://www.perkloafm.com/pdf/Handi_instr_one.pdf
    http://www.perkloafm.com/pdf/Handi_instr_twob.pdf
    He has a real good write up on doing one.

After you do the first one (about 2 hours) you can do one
    in about 20 to 30 min.

Swede Nelson
    Last edited by SwedeNelson; 02-13-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Buddy
    So now I can tell the wife that I don't over accessorize my low cost guns.

-Yarro

Boolit Master

I know just whut ya mean

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    JSnover, Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment but the chasing down and correcting flaws in a rifle amount to at least half the fun. If it came from the factory shooting 1" groups at 1,000 yards, I wouldn't want it. I have one rifle, a CZ 550 in 30/06, that came out of the box shooting under 1" at a hundred yards. That rifle has been to the range exactly one time, and that was when I first tried it out after I bought it. It's a great rifle, just uninteresting because there is nothing to "tinker" with it. I guess I'm just hardheaded fat ol man. James
    Aint that the truth! I stopped shooting for almost ten years because it got boring. Then a friend of mine bought the wrong grips for a revolver and asked me to "fix" them. I started tinkering with things.... Now I can't stop.........!

Boolit Grand Master
    Great articles!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedeNelson View Post
    Thanks!!

Boolit Master
    If it came from the factory shooting 1" groups at 1,000 yards, I wouldn't want it.
    Thing is, if it came from the factory shooting this good, I couldn't afford it! And, if I did tinker with it I would probably mess it up. Don't get me wrong, there are always things that can use some personal attention. The trick is not to spend time re-inventing the wheel, but to find the niche where your tinkering skills actually improve things. THAT is the fun and challenge to me.
    lathesmith

Boolit Master
    Couldn't agree more, Lathesmith. Years ago I bought a semi-custom M700 because all my friends swore by them. Synthetic stock, bedded action, floated barrel, Leupold variable scope. It shot so well it bored the helloutta me. On top of that, it was made out to be the Holy Grail of "precision" sporting rifles; Shooting and cleaning were even more of a ritual than anything you'll find at a Catholic church. It was impossible to enjoy that thing, approaching it with that ridiculous attitude.
    In this case, I'm enjoying the process more than the results. If something goes wrong I haven't blown a months' pay. You're right about not re-inventing the wheel and sometimes I think I've gone over the top with this one. But it sorta reminds of the T-Buckets from the 50s and 60s. I'm ok with that.

Boolit Master
    JSnover, I personally don't think you've gone over the top. Heck, that really a one-of-a-kind rifle, is it not? The main intent of my "re-inventing the wheel" comment is simply this: I think it is silly to spend hours and hours making a do-dad or widget that you can go to Harbor Freight or Lee and buy for $7.98. For example, I have seen guys talking about making a universal de-capping die from scratch. I mean, that is great if you wanted to do it for the practice, but geez, such a project is a several-hour deal, and you can buy one for less than ten bucks. To me, that's silly. Now, your rifle there, that is a time-consuming project, to be sure. But, it is a one-of-a-kind project, and you can't just go out and buy one, for ANY price. That's how I prefer to spend my project time, sometimes with guns, sometimes reloading stuff, and sometimes, even by improving my machine tools. You're right, the process is as enjoyable as the results, and like the T-buckets, you have a work of art as much as a rifle, or tool, or vehicle. To me, that is the real satisfaction.
    lathesmith

i got the buffalo classic a couple months ago. I shoot out to 500 meters at our club with this rear site from Track of the wolf. $59.95. the price was good for a $345 rifle.

I just mounted it to the wood like Bubba did. The only thing i don't like about it is when you loosen the eye cup to change elevation, the windage moves. there are no marks for windage but I have gotten used to it. I guess you could scratch it for a windage mark.
    Something else, the eye piece comes drilled around .030". way to small for my eyes, I think I got mine opened up to around .044".
    The angle this sight snaps to is just a real little bit off from perfect. I swapped around the base and base spring and it was real cose but not perfect. just tighten the pivot screw a little and it stays in place.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ifg...=RS-CREED-3-WE

[QUOTE=compass will;288997].

I just mounted it to the wood like Bubba did. The only thing i don't like about it is when you loosen the eye cup to change elevation, the windage moves. QUOTE]

Is it possible the sight is not level? That would cause the windage to change when you change elevation.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

[QUOTE=wills;289020}

Is it possible the sight is not level? That would cause the windage to change when you change elevation.[/QUOTE]

When you change elevation you need to loosen the eye piece. The eye piece is tapped into a small piece of metal that holds it in place. This piece of metal can slide left or right when the eye piece is loose (for field adjustment of windage?)
    On mine I adjusted the eye piece center (on a calm day). I can feel its centered by feeling the sides of this piece of metal with my fingers. then adjust windage to center with the 2 screws in the base. then when I reset the elevation in the field I just feel the sides of the eye cup mount to make sure its centered in the sight then tighten the eye piece. I think this allows a full 1/2" of windage adjustment!

after getting used to it, its been a lot of fun. Only problem is I can't see the red targets they use for cast bullet assoc matches through it In fact I can't see them through the front sight even if the back one is down. combination of too much light loss through the sights and my 47 year old eyes.

Made in U.S.A.
    Had a hard time just mounting the browning sight to wood.

So I had a brass tang cast and cut it in to the stock.

It was a lot of work but the trough bolt that holds the stock
    on passes through it and holds it very secure.

Swede Nelson
    Last edited by SwedeNelson; 02-13-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456