RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR The New Money

ADMIN

Once people stop hoarding it will be on the shelves again.
    My coworker just bought a case of 22lr from the local sportsman warehouse. He is friends with the manger.
    He will not get me any as he is hoarding but I do get 1k primers a week a 20% discount

In Remembrance
    Great friend HUH. Our sportsmans has 1 brick limit, and it doesn't matter what size of brick it is.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    FWIW a few days ago I traded several 500-round "bricks" of CCI Blazer. 22 LR high velocity on a brick for box basis for a like number of 50-round boxes of Federal 230-grain HST JHP +P .45 ACP Law Enforcement loads. Both of us were happy, so I guess it was a good deal. I wanted some "Hot" hunting loads for my Ruger BN44X. 45 convertible. These rounds chronographed 980 fps from my 4-5/8" Ruger, so I guess that they will do the job!
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-21-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: corrected typos

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    I have seen references to people suggesting that in the event of a TEOTWAWKI that .22 LR would be used as money. After seeing what is happening with the present ammunition shortage I am a believer and I don't think it will just be .22 but all calibers and they will have values that rise and fall just like commodities such as gold and silver.

I am adjusting my storage plan to include more ammunition for trading stock but will wait until the prices regain normalcy before stocking up. I believe I will stock some of all the popular calibers, the ones no one can find now, even if I don't have guns that shoot them.

I assume factory ammo, ammo in spam cans, and hunting rounds will all be considered premium. As that gets used up then reloads will become the norm but will always be a question of who did the reloading.

It might be worth looking into primer and case sealant for extended storage.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/954...-1-2-oz-liquid
    It is a bit pricey so I need to do some research on alternates.

The new money! .22 LR standard velocity military surplus that the CMP sold last November for $150 a case delivered has sold on Gunbroker (same lot number) for as much as $655 a case delivered.
    right after the 2008 crash and good friend came by my cabin and said he was fixin to pull his money out of the bank and buy gold. he asked me if i was gonna do the same. i told him NO! then i gave him a scenario: i told him just suppose food got scarce and he was running short. he knows i keep a years canned goods on hand and he comes to see if he can buy some canned goods from me with his gold. i say NO. i cant eat gold and i cant shoot gold. but i'd gladly trade canned goods for 22lr, 223, 3030, 44, etc........ i told him if i was gonna pull money out of the bank i'd put it all into ammo, powder and primers. he said i was crazy. if he'd done that, he'd be WEALTHY today

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    The best trade surplus you can have is KNOWLEDGE. You only give what you're inclined to, and no one can take it away. Realization of how much you may have only makes you more valuable when the slightest possibility is observed that if treated well, you may be capable of making life better, easier, more productive, etc. for those who are finding themselves in dire straights.
    Add knowledge to a little bit of skill and/or practice, and you can be a priceless commodity all by yourself.
    This is what preppers need to learn. Without knowledge or skill you are only delaying the inevitable.

Boolit Master
    Mr. Lapell, I would love to see a picture of your Savage single-shot pistol. When was it manufactured?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Well it works I just traded three bricks of .22 for 1,100 .44 Magnum brass, 500 bullets and a set of dies.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    Before the latest "ammo-gedon" I wouldn't have expected 22lr to be as useful as currency as it did. My opinion has now changed as I've seen it being used barter, mainly 22 ammo for centerfire guns, but also for work (automotive mechanics, computer services and yard work). The payers are pleased as the ammo was purchased at a lower cost and the recipients are happy as they are getting more value in today's dollar equivalence for their labor by taking ammo as payment for their services.

Based on the pre-hystaria pricing 22 ammo appears to be 2-4x more valuable when measured in green paper reserve notes. I've heard that 22 ammo is occasionally available at Wal-Mart and Cabelas for about 20% more than it was before December 2012. I've not seen it in either of those stores but I have seen it other places for roughly double what it was the last time I purchased it.

This latest shortage was very educational to me. I think it demonstrates how spoiled and vulnerable we've become as a nation. A single sensational event can crash your money's purchasing power and create shortages. Just imagine if it was food or fuel related... With guns and ammo the hysteria affected a small portion of the population. With food and fuel everyone will be vying for what is available and likely being MUCH more disruptive to our society.

Lesson: Ammo is a good investment. Regardless as to how you spend it, practice, hunting, barter... it returns a higher yield and looks more stable than the paper you buy it with.

In Remembrance
    You must not remember the fake fuel shortages of the 70's. lol I can even remember broken bones it caused. lol

Boolit Bub

I think everything said in this thread is correct.
    "The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Boolit Bub
    Walmart seems to be the only place that isn't jacking the prices. But the problem is ammo sells the second it hits the shelves. But if you are lucky...Ive been stocking up when ever I find .22, doesn't matter 22lr, short, subsonic, what ever! I realized if ya bug out you are not humping 1,000 rounds of .223 with ya even if ya have it due to the weight, .22lr though you could put a 550rd brick in each cargo pocket. Not to mention in a survival situation lets get real we are not taking 1000yd shots to defend our self, food- most game will be with in 50yds, if those numbers don't work for you then you most likely need to work on you concealment and stalking skills. Let that AR-15 ring out and you just told everyone in 3 miles where you are, .22lr subsonic and a plastic bottle= sitting back and enjoying your squirt dinner!

Boolit Bub
    9,000+ rds of .22 and counting. The 8,000 is the survival stash, anything over that is used to train up my son. At 5yo he is consistently hitting a 18"x24" target with his .22lr cricket bolt action at 200yds iron sights. And with very close supervision and a lot of instruction he's keeping it mostly in a 10" circle @ 100yds with my scoped bushmaster AR.... Proud daddy!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Here is a current article on the subject.

http://www.vocativ.com/money/industr...ammo-new-cash/

A horse for three bricks of .22.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot .22 is already just about it's own currency.

I have two stashes I created awhile ago. The subsonics I found shoot best in my rifle & make less noise so that's my stash. The beautiful thing is, it don't take much to feed a single shot!

Then when I found extra .22 for a good price through one of my hookups, it goes into the trading stash. I've already helped out a couple buddies passing them on & made a couple nice deals.

I also keep popular calibers on hand I don't shoot for trading stock. So far it's worked fantastic & this is before 'things have gotten bad'..

Makes you wonder what it'll be like when times do get tough.
    Last edited by kawasakifreak77; 10-03-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone tried the 22lr reloader.

Boolit Bub
    "In the next economy I intend to be an armorer"
    Ragnar Benson.

Boolit Master
    3 years later an my 22 still aint the same as a benjamin.

Boolit Master
    With election looming just over a month away I think prices are about as good as they will get. I remember at the beginning of the most recent super shortage 223 die sets would bring $150 and 500 box of 22's $100+ 22's at walmart last week cci 100 bx/ $7.59, winchester 36gr cphp 555 box $27.
    all the powders are in stock except 2400 and h4350 and primers back in stock nearly everywhere $27-$32/1000. Starline has all brass calibers in stock ready to ship. Things are great right now compared to 3 years ago. New or used mini 14's plenty availability for $650-$750, three years ago $2500

Boolit Buddy
    I am getting learned about casting... have been reloading. My question is always portability. How much can you really fit in a go-bag if things really to SHTF.

Mini Mags are recommended by many 22lr shooters. Wish I could find some.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast