Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: anyone moly coat cast bullets?

Boolit Master

anyone moly coat cast bullets?

I thought I would post this, been molying a few bullets, with great results. I used the spray moly, put the bullets upright on a lazy susan, rotated and sprayed till I got a good coat, let sit overnight. I used mostly pistol bullets, but loaded a few 6.5 gas checked swedes, 140 lyman mold. I actually just checked, sized and sprayed, did not use any lube on 2- 5 shot groups, of the 140, so far so good!

Boolit Master

What brand of spray moly are you using. I've never used it on my cast but have some commercial cast bullets that are moly coated. Never had a problem.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When I tried it, after the moly completely coated the bore, accuracy was terrible. Made things too slick for cast boolits. Goop hand cleaner got it out of my barrels, and I will never put it back in any of my firearms.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago I tried the Molykote from Brownells. It did not give me any better accuracy or protection from leading than using the regular lube or the Lee snot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

This keeps cropping up every 8 or 10 years. Seems like every new generation of reloaders "discovers" the benefits of Moly. It usually takes a couple of years for the enthusiasm to die down.

After you find a product and application system that actually prevents leading and maintains accuracy, then you have to find a way to clean the Moly out of your severely fouled barrel. It's easier to clean out lead.

The only real benefit I've found is it reduces lube build up in your seating die.

Jerry

Edit to add.......The best I've found is Sandstrom 35A. A search in the lube section should turn up a link.

Fairly cheap.....~ $35.00/qt. .....covers 50,000+ boolits.

Tumble on and oven cure. Prevents leading as well as any other lube I've tried. Leaves your fingers black and leaves a persistent fouling in the barrel.

Oh....the solvent in it affects me much worse than acetone or MEK....MUCH worse.
    Last edited by KYCaster; 02-15-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!