Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
    This AMMO RUSH won't last forever I just stopped using my 22lr ammo once I noticed what was taking place. My wife works at Wal-Mart and I get a discount on ammo. I've seen 22lr there in small amounts but left it for others because I have around 1,000 rounds. I own a few Beeman airguns and have turned to them to do all my plucking with for now to reserve my 22lr,410,30.06 ammo just incase. Yes I'm a 47 year old man that has never lost the love of airgunning from my childhood my airguns just cost a heck of lot more then they did when I was a kid. If the ammo rush is still going come hunting season I'll do my small game hunting with my airguns it's not like I haven't hunted small game with them before.
    I have been looking at some of those 45 cal. air rifles that come pretty close to centerfire velocity. Heck, I can use my 45acp mold for it too. The price is a little steep at 700$ for an airgun, and on top of that you need one of those fancy 6000psi air compressors along with a scuba tank to fill it. I watched a video where I guy took a Buck with one out of a tree stand so they have some knock down power to them. Might be worth investing in.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I have been looking at some of those 45 cal. air rifles that come pretty close to centerfire velocity. Heck, I can use my 45acp mold for it too. The price is a little steep at 700$ for an airgun, and on top of that you need one of those fancy 6000psi air compressors along with a scuba tank to fill it. I watched a video where I guy took a Buck with one out of a tree stand so they have some knock down power to them. Might be worth investing in.
    They make hand pumps for them you may want to check into one of them to start. That way you can get away without the compressor and tank to began with. A beeman airgun is a great investment they will last a life time if taken care of but Beeman don't make any in big bore. With my break barrel Beemans in .22 I've shoot coons,rabbits,tree rats and other critters and most are clean kills with a single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Case Stuffer View Post
    Much the same with me but add 20 well closer to 21 years to the age. Beeman 250 rifle and Beeman webley tempest pistol. Neat part of hunting squirrels with them is that it does not cause all of the victims friends to run away a hide for awhile. I have shot squairles out of a tree and had others to come down and try and figure out why they fell.
    I have a Beeman R 9 rifle .22,RX 2 Elite .22 and 1073 dual combo that has two barrels .177 & .22. I bought the 1073 for a bad weather gun because I won't take my other two out in bad weather. I just got the RX 2 Elite not long ago and my wife wanted to kill me when she found out what it cost.LOL I've had a few others I've handed down to my sons and my little brother and they all shoot just as good as the day I bought them.
    Last edited by Swamp Man; 03-03-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Boolit Man
    I had heard recently that a local sporting goods chain got their ammo shipment on Friday's, and were selling at normal pre-panic prices. So...I get there about 15 minutes after they open & they are sold out! A friend who works there told me that people started showing up in the parking lot at 4:30 a.m.! They "limit" customers to 10 bricks and said the first customers all bought the 10 bricks apiece until they were out. Corporate will not allow them to reduce the limit.

Same thing is happening with AR's...they know of course that it is being re-sold...and have banned a few customers that they caught doing so right in the parking lot. If you are buying from these folks, you are part of the problem. If you have found yourself caught short in the current mess, take it as a lesson. Things will calm down, so be patient and buy then.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
    I had heard recently that a local sporting goods chain got their ammo shipment on Friday's, and were selling at normal pre-panic prices. So...I get there about 15 minutes after they open & they are sold out! A friend who works there told me that people started showing up in the parking lot at 4:30 a.m.! They "limit" customers to 10 bricks and said the first customers all bought the 10 bricks apiece until they were out. Corporate will not allow them to reduce the limit.

Same thing is happening with AR's...they know of course that it is being re-sold...and have banned a few customers that they caught doing so right in the parking lot. If you are buying from these folks, you are part of the problem. If you have found yourself caught short in the current mess, take it as a lesson. Things will calm down, so be patient and buy then.
    What you say makes perfect sense if you think folks are buying to get plinking ammo, but the whole reason folks are buying is because they want to be ready to defend their nation. Not saying I think it'll come to that, I'm just saying that you have to understand the reasons for this. Folks would rather be prepared, then get caught without when the need arises. Things will "calm down" when that perceived need is no longer an issue, and folks "want" ammo, but no longer think they "need" it.
    It's not right to allow yourself to be motivated by fear, but unfortunately, many people insist on nothing else. They would not allow themselves to be motivated by any other means, so this is all there is left. It's not right, but it's the truth.
    I too think things will calm down.....but then again, I could be wrong.
    Oh well, if the SHTF, my goose is cooked anyways. I have too many liabilities and not enough assets. Ammo is the least of my concerns. I have enough to do what needs done for the next 10 years, and that's all I need.
    That said, I really hope the .22's come back available soon here locally. I shared 200 of my last brick with my neighbor, and things are getting a little tight!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Was in Cabelas outside of Portland Maine yesterday afternoon. Not a box of .22 rimfire ammo to be had on the shelves.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

There once was a time when nobody expected the shelves to be empty, so they stayed full every where except at home. There was no need to buy more than what you needed today.
    Now with computer ordering the shelves were holding only what they expected to sell in a few days, because the pipe line was full. Along comes the Idea that Prices and Supply were going to drastically (Obama) Change for the worse.
    Suddenly everybody bought an extra brick or five just in case.
    Suddenly the pipe line is empty, and the shelves are empty, with a line clammering for every round. The pipe line is squeezed for the last bit, and there is no backlog except for orders.
    We do it to ourselves with every perceived emergency. Folks who have never bought more than a box at a time suddenly NEED 3 bricks, and when they cant get them, hunt for and buy 5 or more.
    Hoarding isn't the problem, It's panic buying.
    Those who are accused of "hoarding" because they bought ample supplies all along, aren't causing the problem. The problem is those that didn't.
    Eventually supply will catch up with demand, the shelves will again be filled, and only the "hoarders" will be buying more than a weeks supply at a time to replace what they shot during the crisis.
    The panic buyers will have a 5 year supply, bought at ridiculous prices and be too tight to shoot them. Those that tried to make money reselling are stuck with their money tied up and no sales.
    I have continually bought what I needed, plus a little, for most of 50 years, and don't need a thing to shoot, all I want, when ever I want, for the rest of my life, and I haven't even been to the store since this panic started. When supplies and prices are again reasonable I'll replace what I used.
    Remember the children's story about the grasshopper and the ant ? Winter will surely come.

My younger brother bought a 22lr rifle a while back and was lucky enough to find ammo in a small shop. He bought 3 bricks I told him to hang on to that ammo he said I can get more anytime for 22lr and him and his buddy shot them up in two days. Well he returned back to the shop and there was none so he looked other places and found none. He asked if I would let him get some of mine and he would give them back in a week I told him no. Well that was 6 months back now he is mad as heck because he can't find any ammo for his toy. I tried to tell him but the boy had to learn a lesson the hard way.

Boolit Master

Who would have thought you could reload one round of 45 colt cheaper than a buy one round of 22LR?

mold maker hit the nail on the head. It's not the "hoarders" it's the "non-hoarders" that are causing the problem.

None of us evil hoarders have purchased anything since early December.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

In Remembrance
    Obummer has invented a whole new gang of hoarders, and they are just getting started. lol

Boolit Master

Of course, those of us who foolishly choose 2012 as the year to get back into shooting after a long hiatus are in the "grasshopper" category, eh? I had literally not fired a single round in twenty-plus years before going rabbit hunting in February 2012 -- with an air rifle (I did fire one round from my .22 revolver that spring, just to reassure myself I could still hit something with it). Shortly after, I bought a Mosin Nagant and started shooting when I could afford it, and after going to Appleseed with the Mosin, realized I needed a .22 rifle to have any chance of shooting Rifleman with the modern timings for the AQT (loading from strippers and shooting a bolt, I never once completed one of the fast strings) -- so I bought one in December, just about the time the shelves started to get really bare of ammunition.

I guess that makes me a grasshopper, indeed; if I were an ant, I'd never have gotten away from shooting (even when living in cities where shooting was very inconvenient due to drive times and working for a living) and would have generally had a brick or so of .22 on hand at any time (and likely would have bought a .22 rifle years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Who would have thought you could reload one round of 45 colt cheaper than a buy one round of 22LR?

mold maker hit the nail on the head. It's not the "hoarders" it's the "non-hoarders" that are causing the problem.

I'm with you. Even if those who hoard and think they can finance a house on their profits, it takes two to tango. If people don't buy, they will eventually lower prices. Simply supply and demand.

Boolit Master
    You guys caught my interest on the air rifles. Google turned up Quakenbush rifles, man these things have real power! No powder, no primers, sounds good in a teotwawki situation. Anyone here played with one of the big bore air rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    You guys caught my interest on the air rifles. Google turned up Quakenbush rifles, man these things have real power! No powder, no primers, sounds good in a teotwawki situation. Anyone here played with one of the big bore air rifles?
    I don't own a big bore but have shot a few they have enough power to take large game if used within there range limits. The custom builders are sometimes backlogged but there are a few sites you can buy big bores from without any waiting.

Here is an interesting read on big bore airguns. http://www.airgundepot.com/big-bore-article.html

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post

I agree !!!

Not only the horders but the peopls gouging the prices. At a gun show last weekend some stiff was selling CCI LR solid point box of 100 for $18 a box. It's not the horders that's doing it it's the *******s that are trying to make a fast buck taking advantage of the situation. These *******s are the ones buying up everything from CB caps to the high priced target ammo. IMHO these people should be tared and featherd.

2shot

Boolit Buddy

I've been to two large gun shows in Mississippi and Louisiana during the past month and haven't seen any .22 LR! I'm well-stocked, so am not concerned about it personally. I have no problem with the "hoarders" or "price gougers." They aren't getting my money, but if a willing seller and a willing buyer come to terms - at any price - that's their business. It's not for me to sit on the sidelines and arbitrarily decide what's "fair." As a previous poster said, it's all about proper invenory management!

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Buddy
    if you people dont like supply and demand move somewhere the gov sets prices and wages, china or north korea

I used to shoot about once a week or a bit more often....reasonable amount of ammo each visit then load em up again..made a really nice deal for me...then the silly season hit. I am loading up lots of what I have components for as it's easier to store loaded rounds and I got plenty of loaded ammo and of components...I don't hoard...I don't jack prices cause I don't sell...I have taken to shooting an older, dead accurate and cheap to shoot pellet gun. I can shoot it in my yard with my Neighbor's blessing (he likes to shoot it too) and not bother any one...I have enough pellets to last me a lifetime (I think I'd bought something like 10000 when I was shooting it alot. Lets me shoot...lets me enjoy the outdoors, costs almost nothing and keeps me sharp enough. So a couple times a week in the back yard...a couple or 3 times a month at the range and I don't much care about the frenzy. It's only my frenzy if I make it mine.

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    I used to shoot about once a week or a bit more often....reasonable amount of ammo each visit then load em up again..made a really nice deal for me...then the silly season hit. I am loading up lots of what I have components for as it's easier to store loaded rounds and I got plenty of loaded ammo and of components...I don't hoard...I don't jack prices cause I don't sell...I have taken to shooting an older, dead accurate and cheap to shoot pellet gun. I can shoot it in my yard with my Neighbor's blessing (he likes to shoot it too) and not bother any one...I have enough pellets to last me a lifetime (I think I'd bought something like 10000 when I was shooting it alot. Lets me shoot...lets me enjoy the outdoors, costs almost nothing and keeps me sharp enough. So a couple times a week in the back yard...a couple or 3 times a month at the range and I don't much care about the frenzy. It's only my frenzy if I make it mine.
    I'm with you on the airguns those are my daily shooting guns for now. I can shoot as much as I want for near nothing and have just as much fun with them. Many people have no idea of the power some of our nicer airguns pack now days.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast