Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Welcome aboard Jondavis! Your pic needs a smile though.
    i appreciate it. I play tournament paintball and that is my ID card pic.. but i don't smile often in most pictures anyways lol

Wilco, I totally understand what you're getting at. From now on I'll refrain from calling them greedy and just use the term classless.........

My father always taught me that you can never be taken advantage of, but can only let yourself be taken advantage of. With that said, I still do not agree with what's going on right now. It has nothing to do with ignorance. When this is over and supply outgrows demand, do you honestly think that prices are going to go back down to what we knew not so long ago?

Sorry for the rant. I know I'm a new member here. this is just a topic that has crushed somenerves this week.
    do unto others................

Anyone with a 22 right now wants to grab an extra 50 round box or two. That would include me. I've not shot a 22 rimfire in a couple decades. But I grabbed four 50 rnd boxes off a shelf a few weeks back just because I wanted plenty. Had more 22 arms around here than singel boxes of 50 rounds. So yes I succumbed to the panic. Multiply that times 100 million and you’ve some serious product flow. I say good for us our friends and relatives are arming themselves. Since I can’t whoop the world by myself.

This is exactly what the free market is. . . demand and supply control price. An increase in price encourages an increase in supply, until all is in equilibrium again. In the meantime there is famine. Wise men prepare for famine. Those who do not pay famine prices or go without. Hopefully this encourages the development of wisdom. Be thankful it's just .22 ammo. Don't wait until it's food and water.

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...irst_11112009/
    Last edited by uscra112; 02-16-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    The panic has not hit all .22
    All kinds of match ammo around for those of us addicted to
    spending 12-18 bucks a box.
    It's a must in Benchrest

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    This is exactly what the free market is. . . demand and supply control price. An increase in price encourages an increase in supply, until all is in equilibrium again. In the meantime there is famine. Wise men prepare for famine. Those who do not pay famine prices or go without. Hopefully this encourages the development of wisdom. Be thankful it's just .22 ammo. Don't wait until it's food and water.

http://readynutrition.com/resources/...irst_11112009/
    You're crazy, you old coot. Nothing like that could ever happen in America.

When people buy real estate low and sell high they're called forward thinking investors.

This world does not owe anyone a constant supply of anything. The people that haven't figured that out yet are going to be in trouble one day.

uscra112 knows.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll vote with my wallet too.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    [QUOTE=............ When this is over and supply outgrows demand, do you honestly think that prices are going to go back down to what we knew not so long ago?...............[/QUOTE]

As I remember in 2008 rimfire ammo went to thirty-five dollars a brick in this area . Some paid the price and some didn't . It took untill the summer of 2012 when I saw bricks of rimfire for just shy of twenty bucks . Another chain store sometimes had them for eighteen dollars a brick . I doubt anyone would think the store was taking advantage of the customer then or that someone was hoarding buying any amount .

Now that a hundred million or so people are searching for the ammo shelf , those who were prudent are somehow wrong . It does get interesting watching people when something is in good supply many walk by it , threaten the supply and everyone wants it . This too will pass and hopefully many will be the wiser when it is done .

Jack

Boolit Master

It isn't those who were prudent and have always maintained a stock of thousands of rounds that are causing this problem -- it's a combination of panic buyers ("Congress and the President are talking about restricting sale of assault weapons, I'd better buy up all the .22 ammo I can find!") and price gougers (I've heard of a number of cases of people buying ammo at retail prices and reselling it at panic levels -- not ammo they've had for years, but ammo they bought specifically for resale; never mind you need an FFL to sell ammunition for profit). The ones that really steam me, though, are those who (apparently -- I heard this from a Gander Mountain associate) don't even own a pistol or rifle, but are buying up ammunition to keep it out of the hands of actual shooters.

As I commented in the store, those folks aren't even worth a bullet.

Intersting point Jack and very true. You tell a person that they can't have something......

I'll Make Mine: I walked into a Dunham's Sports this morning not long after opening. I was in the area and thought I'd see what they had. A Gentleman who works the ammo area told me that he put out two cases(20 bricks) of Remington thunderbolt right before opening and they were gone within twenty minutes. He said it's always the same individuals and is sure they are reselling, but there is nothing they can do. Management won't let them enforce a buying limit.

Quote Originally Posted by robpete View Post
    Intersting point Jack and very true. You tell a person that they can't have something......

I'll Make Mine: I walked into a Dunham's Sports this morning not long after opening. I was in the area and thought I'd see what they had. A Gentleman who works the ammo area told me that he put out two cases(20 bricks) of Remington thunderbolt right before opening and they were gone within twenty minutes. He said it's always the same individuals and is sure they are reselling, but there is nothing they can do. Management won't let them enforce a buying limit.
    It's come to a pretty pass when the hoarders are buying up THUNDERBOLT at famine prices. I wonder if they have any idea . . . . . . .
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Went to Wal-Mart this morning to pick up a few things for the Mrs. and happened to swing by the Sporting Goods desk as they were unloading their ammo delivery. They got one case (10 smaller boxes) of Remington 40gr Golden Bullet 225rnd packs to sell for the next 5 days. 2 guys ahead of me bought 3 packs each at 9.50 which is the store limit. I was asked by the clerk if I wanted 3 packs as well. I told him no, I'll take only 1 so that someone else could have an opportunity to buy some. The other two fellows (hoarders) heard me because I said it loud enough for them to hear me. "You better buy all three! You may not get another chance!" is what they said. I told them, "Nope, I can cast my own and make my own and I bought the pack simply to have some plinking ammo this summer." Besides, once the rush is over, you folks will be trying to sell the ammo...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Pretty funny Bruce. Wish I could have been there to see it go down.

Boolit Master

they weren't too happy that I was calling them out on the fact. Probably because they started to understand that they were letting their greed rule them.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    It's come to a pretty pass when the hoarders are buying up THUNDERBOLT at famine prices. I wonder if they have any idea . . . . . . .
    Based on the five rounds I've fired through my Marlin 795 since I've owned it, Thunderbolts would be just about as good as anything else (that is to say, I don't know what my rifle likes yet, haven't had a chance to really test anything, never mind more than one kind); I'm just after getting 500 rounds all the same to take to Appleseed. Since I already have 200+ rounds of Thunderbolt, another 300 of those would be perfectly fine (and should cost under $20 even at current prices), but I'd just as happily buy a 525 or 555 box of Winchester or Remington bulk rounds, or two 325 boxes of Federal Champion, if I could find 'em -- or a brick of anything in 50 round boxes. I was thinking I'd wind up paying over $120 for ten boxes of Eley Match, but now I can't even find those in stock and in quantity...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robpete View Post

Dunhams here has a 1 big box(525/500/550), or 4 small boxes limit(20/40/50).

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I got rid of a bunch of Thunderbolts down at the gun shop , they were so desperate for ammo they took it in on trade for a used rifle I heard they were limiting purchases at two fifty round boxes per person .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    It's called basic economics. Supply and demand. We currently have a free market system. Folks with money see an opportunity to make more. There's nothing greedy or sinful about it. Folks can vote with their wallets either way when it comes to buying such products. Calling folks "Hoarders" or "Greedy" is pure ingnorance of reality. If your panties are in a bunch now, wait till the house of cards comes down and full blown communism enters the picture.
    Folks with money see an opportunity to make more.
    I disagree completely. It a way some fools have found a way to screw their fellow sportsmen.

But frankly I could care less as I have prepared years ago, very doubtful I'll ever be able to shoot up all my ammo, unless I just blast it all away.

But feel any way you wish about it. This panic, hoarding, and greedy merchandising will not bother me in the least.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

I hate to tell you this, but it's not your fellow sportsmen that are causing the problem.
    I live in Ar. This is where the Remington ammunition plant is located where all those awesome yellow and green boxes of golden bullets are made.
    I was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday. He is a chemist and works in Little Rock. He has a friend at remington and asked if he could get him the good buddy discount/supply of .22LR and other ammo. The guy told him that they have restricted employee pricing and supply, but what else he told him is making my blood a little warm.

He said that they are producing so many million .22 cartridges a day, but certain government agencies have forced them to only sell 10% of that to the public. The rest is bought/confiscated? by this agency (I believe he said HLS but don't quote me on that).
    We had a serious conversation for a few minutes about what the hell do they need that many .22lr for? Think about it! They are sucking up 90% of the ammo that Remington can produce?!?!?!?!?!?!
    We came to the conclusion that the government is creating false demand by limiting the supply.
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, and I am not saying that's what is going on (some politician probably thinks that if they buy all the ammo it can't be used against them) but this freaking sucks!
    Just thought you guys should know who is really responsible for the ammo shortages.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I think there are two things to consider here. First, come around April 15, the supply will loosen up as people need to pay their taxes. And second, when the current administration was elected, components dried up, but around a year later Midway had overstocked sale prices on primers. That is when I stocked up. Be patient.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast