Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

Have the hoarders bought up all of the 22LR???

Hi all, Reloading nearly everything I shoot pretty much keeps me living under a rock. However, I'm running low on 22LR and thought I'd pick up a brick today. Wow! was I in for a surprise. I can't believe how bad things have become. Does anybody know of any online sources that still have any stock....at a REASONABLE price? I know this is probably a tall order at this point, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    .22lr dried up weeks ago. Try www.slickguns.com though. It is a user submitted website where people post deals on things. There is some .22 out there but not much at pre-panic prizes unless you are in the right place at the right time. Hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Not all of the shortage is due to hoarding.

There are many, many ordinary folks out there buying up ammo then attempting to resell it on the market at inflated prices, and getting it because they scrounged it all up.

This is part of what gouging is all about.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a single 525 round brick of Remington 22lr for 32.xx at Big Five this past Monday. What's been said is absolutely true but if you really need it, try asking when the shipments come in so you can check those days. I was informed that I could only buy one box but I only needed the one. Good luck in your hunt.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have over 5000 rounds of 22 LR and haven't shot any in a few years. I don't see myself as a hoarder. I see myself as a forward thinker who never wants to be without.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I have over 5000 rounds of 22 LR and haven't shot any in a few years. I don't see myself as a hoarder. I see myself as a forward thinker who never wants to be without.
    Ditto.

I kept trying to tell and explain the story about the and and the grasshopper to other gun folks, but they kept hopping away spending their money on a new gun or case or anything other than ammunition and/or components. They assured me that summer would last forever and that there was no way Obama would ever get re-elected. . .

I passed up a few good gun deals in order to stay flush and full with components (primers, powder, lead, brass, accessories, reloading equipment, etc) because without ammo, a gun doesn't even make a good paperweight or club.

Please don't get me wrong. I have thousands of pounds of scrap lead and the primers and powder to go with it. i think it's the individuals that Jcwit mentioned are the ones that are driving me nuts. There are sellers attempting to sell CCI standard velocity for five times the pre-insanity pricing. Not getting my money, I'll stick with my center fire until the smoke clears.
    Last edited by robpete; 02-14-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    I always maxed out the amount of the Golden Bullet bulk packs I could purchase at my local Bi-Mart over the last few years. I forgot about the tub I put them in after the hype started, and only noticed them because if the 3 boxes that were in the grab-and-go can were staring to get depleted. What a nice surprise. Same for all of that H335, and H110 that i stocked up on while on sale. I saw that stuff for 70+ shipping a pound on gunbroker today. Will I sell...No. That was just stuff I thought would be good to have on hand if something like this went down. Hindsight is 20/20. Could I make a buck...Yes, but why would I dump something so useful in the end. Powder valley still has some stuff in stock for normal price. I suggest if you need it order it now while in stock for pre-Lanza price. A month wait is better than having nothing at all in a month. That is my tip of the day for the procrastinators.

Boolit Buddy
    It's pretty hit or miss right now.

To the people saying that you should have stocked up, I have a good amount saved, but don't like to shoot ammo that I can't replace.

Become buddies with the wally world people so they tell you the day the shipment arrives. Then bingo...
    High Hook

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

way back in the 50's I belonged to an organization whose motto was "Be Prepared", to this day it seems a good one to live by.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I just can't get my mind around the hype with .22 ammo! .223, primers, powder, mags OK i get why people are going nuts (kinda) but why .22 ammo? My best friend has always wanted a .22/250, when he finally had the money last month, he instead bought a .22 magnum, and will trade that off on a .22/250 when the hype dies down. But for now, .224 bullets and any sort of fast rifle powder is not to be had, doesn't matter how many primers he has! So, my complaints against the .22 mag are actually what caused him to buy one, the fact that it can't be reloaded doesn't mean anything if you can't find components, where you can't find .22 ammo or rifle powder, there is plenty of .22 mags on the shelf. $13/50 still beats not getting any shooting at all for a rifle he wouldn't be able to get components for.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Precisley why I started swaging. I have many .22 calibers to feed. .223 .223wssm, .220 swift, .22-250. It just made sense. I hate being dependent on supply. I have enough different kinds of primers I can still shoot as these all take different kinds. If I run low, any primer I find and I will be able to shoot something.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    dittos on the stock up since the 08 election. I walked out of the store with a brick of lr and box of wmr most every trip. Last week saw blazer lr for $5.99 a box and $49.00 a brick. I got wmr for regular price! he had 17HMR regular price too. perhaps calm down when things smooth over but it'll be mid summer at best. I think a lot of groundhogs will be safe this year, no ammo for those outrageous shot attempts for the "skybustin" guys. More for me and my Belisle 160s, at $3@ from the farmers! LOL, even bad news can be good news. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

In Remembrance
    I have enough of my own and like some of the other posts I just don't go thru it at alarming rate...WHY??....Anything I can't reload I use sparingly, I can load up centerfire stuff cheaper using cast than what I got the 22's for years ago. Am I a hoarder? to be honest I don't consider myself to be one put prefer to be the guy that got them a few years ago at a cheaper price than what they will sell for in a short time.

Nothing I use rarely ever goes down in price, so why not get what you need while it's cheap/cheaper and available?
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Nothing I use rarely ever goes down in price, so why not get what you need while it's cheap/cheaper and available?
    Common sense tells you that, but I think it has been diminishing in society from what I have seen. The trend is "I got to have it now because I didn't want to do it then." Well fine...Don't complain about the price.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been a reloader for 33 years. I always buy in bulk. it just seems like how it should be done. I only buy 4 pound cans of powder. Primers always a thousand at a time. So I just keep shooting. This will pass in time.

this buying is crazy. went to basspro in savannah yesterday morning to find nothing on the shelves.. went back this morning to find 1 brink and 2 50 round boxes came in on the truck over night so i managed to get those. other than that myself and my father have about run flat out.

Quote Originally Posted by robpete View Post
    i think it's the individuals that Jcwit mentioned are the ones that are driving me nuts. There are sellers attempting to sell CCI standard velocity for five times the pre-insanity pricing. Not getting my money, I'll stick with my center fire until the smoke clears.
    It's called basic economics. Supply and demand. We currently have a free market system. Folks with money see an opportunity to make more. There's nothing greedy or sinful about it. Folks can vote with their wallets either way when it comes to buying such products. Calling folks "Hoarders" or "Greedy" is pure ingnorance of reality. If your panties are in a bunch now, wait till the house of cards comes down and full blown communism enters the picture.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by jondavis0904 View Post
    this buying is crazy.
    Welcome aboard Jondavis! Your pic needs a smile though.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast