Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NEVADA CAST BULLET SHOOT 2008, Repeat, 2008

On Heaven's Range

2008 NEVADA CAST BULLET SHOOT 2008, Repeat, 2008

Folks;

Having at last found a printable 2008 calendar on the Internet, AND the time to painfully project my shift schedule all the way forward to the appropriate time of the year, I will now bite the bullet again, and say the following:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The 2008 edition of the NCBS will be held in Winnemucca on the weekend of MAY 31 - JUNE 1 - JUNE 2.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This scheduling allows me to do the required stuff on days off, including the actual Shoot itself. This year, I had to use up 36 hours of vacation time (out of my allotted total of 160 hours for the year) and I'd prefer to avoid that situation next year if at all possible. Of course, my vacation time was paid, so it isn't all negative...being paid to shoot and socialize is NOT hard duty at all.

I spoke to my boss, and he says no changes to the shift schedule are contemplated at this time. There are only four of us in the whole mine (out of 350 or so) who work this schedule, and we all like it. Ergo, I have some confidence that what I plan now will work out next year. If not, that will be MY problem and won't affect the Shoot dates.

So, MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY to avoid this year's horrendous clashes with all sorts of "special events"!!! Tomorrow would not be too soon, y'know....

I sure do hope we can avoid a repeat of this year's disasters. I know for certain that the changing dates forced some much-missed friends to cancel their attendance. Please, take the time soon to reserve your digs for that weekend.

The weather may also be a little more temperate earlier in the year, as well, although I will admit to being pleasantly surprised at how well we coped with the heat. SHADE was critical, so gazebo/barbecue tents, tarps etc are a good item of equipment to bring along. Such shelters need to be well-anchored, as the afternoon zephyrs were up in the 20 mph-plus range. I'll lay on a bunch of sandbags for anchor points....Heaven knows there's plenty of sand available on site!!

Looking forward to it already.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Bruce, a whole hour and I'm the first to report in? Some of these seasoned shooters are slow!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Thanks again Bruce !

Bruce, great news on the dates for NCBS 2008. Our Hotel told me while there this year that they would not accept resevation until Jan 1, 2008. However, I will call them again tomorrow to see if they will make an exception. I will be making resv. for the family including my son Darren, who by the way shot a sub moa. @ 50yds. with my newly acquired Marlin 444T today. The best I could do was 1.2"
    Anyway we are looking forward to being there. I will be sending out framed photos to the 2007 winners as soon as I find the frame sale I know is out there.

Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Super Moderator

..............The 2008 date is only 10 months away ................ eek! Make reservations and do some casting and reloading

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Got it.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Talking

What's a cast BULLET ?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman1 View Post
    What's a cast BULLET ?
    I believe the shoot pre-dates the term Boolit. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Booooooo-lit was first used to my knowledge by Pat, my wife, back in the 70's. Shuz was the first to continue this heritage on this board, at that time the board was called Shooters, operated by another person/corp/enterprise that went belly-up. ... felix
    felix

I WILL make the shoot when I retire and am looking for ways to make it in 2008. Maybe I can set up a Beagle/Felix/Sundog caravan.... Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 07-28-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    I WILL make the shoot when I retire and am looking for ways to make it in 2008. Maybe I can set up a Beagle/Felix/Sundog caravan.... Tony
    ...............You wouldn't catch me dead in a carload like that.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Um, my 2008 calendar shows May 31, June 1 and 2 as Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Did those Bluegrass Festival Calendar people get it wrong, or are we changing the days? My plans are to be there.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

On Heaven's Range

Urny;

I printed my 2008 calendar right off the Internet, so no real guarantees as to its accuracy are given. It did seem to agree with the rotations of my shift schedule, though, so I sorta took it for granted.

However, you can take THIS to the bank:

The Shoot will take place on the first weekend of June.

We sure are looking forward (already!) to seeing a much bigger group of old and new friends at this edition of the Shoot. Since it appears we've found a friendly site, and a much better site, at that, it would be a shame not to put it to intensive use.

Ten months isn't much time, as Buckshot mentioned. I draw some comfort from that, as I'm eagerly awaiting November '08 to do another Alberta hunt with a couple of the more-infamous denizens of this place. Again, we are three of the OLDEST "excited teenagers" you can imagine. I'm seriously thinking about doing this one personally as a cast-bullet-only expedition. Gotta try those cast softpoints on game, don'tcha know?

On the other side of the coin, "Once you're over the hill, you accelerate..."

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Booooooo-lit was first used to my knowledge by Pat, my wife, back in the 70's. Shuz was the first to continue this heritage on this board, at that time the board was called Shooters, operated by another person/corp/enterprise that went belly-up. ... felix
    A friend and I shot Bow-(as in bow and arrow)-lets from our .445 SuperMags back in the late '80's/early '90's.

MJ

Boolit Master
    hmm....I think the honda sabre might be back together enough for a long trip round 'bouts that time. Saddle and tank bags kinda limit me to pistols only though.
    Some where between here and there.....

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    hmm....I think the honda sabre might be back together enough for a long trip round 'bouts that time. Saddle and tank bags kinda limit me to pistols only though.
    I'm pretty sure you can ship rifles to yourself at a local address there and ship them back after it's over. If it were me, I'd call the ATF Agent in Reno and ask him. Right or wrong, his opinion is the one that would count there.

Banned

I'm gonna drop everything and will be there this yearn' FO SHO!!!

Onliest problem is if my wife goes, we've got to take Snoopy too. You guys ever take your dog?

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Pat, I'll be delighted to meet Snoopy. Uh, you too. Tim and LorrieB usually bring a big motor home so that their Golden Retrievers have a safe place while the shooting is going on. Glad to see you back. I have another success story about PMWFCFF to post.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

On Heaven's Range

Range Situation-2008 NCBS

This seems like a good time for an update.

There were high hopes for obtaining legal possession of the Piquet family's sandpit area for a fulltime County range. It now appears that those hopes will not come to reality.

Mr. Piquet recently dug a bullet out of his house wall, and he's understandably reluctant to risk a repeat of that occurrence. His home is almost a mile from where we were shooting, and at 90 degrees from our line of fire. He has apparently withdrawn from discussions about future range plans for his land.

As to the 2008 Nevada CB Shoot, I have yet to speak with him. I have high hopes that we will be able to obtain permission to shoot there again, particularly since Mr. Piquet seemed to enjoy our company and shooting our assorted guns....enough enjoyment for him to stick around for quite awhile. I'd bet heavy coin that the bullet in his house was NOT a cast bullet from our group!

Since the ground was broken vis-a-vis the use of the pit for our Shoot last year, and since the Shoot went well and was visited by the landowner with such apparent pleasure, my approach for his permission this year will be much easier. I'll make that approach shortly after the New Year, I think, which will allow some scratching-around time if Tibo refuses.

All we lacked this year was MORE SHOOTERS. The space is virtually unlimited, although the maximum downrange distance is about 200 yards. We could have a firing line 200 yards long, if we want (or more)!

The first weekend in June is the appointed date, and having it nailed-down already should make it much easier for obtaining reservations, etc....if we DO IT EARLY!!!! May-June is a VERY busy time in this little burg, so act accordingly....and SOON, if you plan to attend.

Dang, I'm getting excited about it already,

We Have Made Reservations

Hello to Bruce B. and all!

The excitment is also building here! I have no doubt that you will work this out with Mr. Piquet or at the very least come up with a great place.

I just fininished making resevations for 4 rooms for Thursday night, May 28th through Sunday night, Jun 1st, 2008. So if all is well, Mr. & Mrs. Onceabull, Mom, Marlene & I and our Son Darren will be there.

Thanks for your hard work, Past & Future.
    Last edited by cobbmtmac; 10-20-2007 at 11:48 AM.
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

NCBS,2008, a time of rejoicing.

With the assurance coming from Cobbmtmac,that Mrs O. will have a covered,heated,& cooled place to rest her head, I can move forwardly into the annual process of selecting those moulds,and firearms deemed most likely to represent irresistible temptation to one or more of the attendees. Also satisfying that URGE to show off the new "toys"...Bruce, high hopes that you and Mr.Tibo Piquet can reach the agreement needed but, if not,confident that you will find something/somewhere that is workable. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast