Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 77/44

Keep us up to date Crusty as things unfold. I am following this with lots of interest as I think I might like one of those 77/44 rifles someday. Will this take over deer chores from your 45-70?? JW

Boolit Master
    Afternoon Idaho Mule, Good chatt'in with ya!

Hmmmmmm?

That is the question.

I really like the 45/70, lets see how the accuracy goes with the .44.

Bolt and trigger parts should be Monday, but it will be a week and half before I can get out to test again.

I suppose 4" at 100yds. is a deer killer, but I'd like MUCH better.

Could likely get there without a lot of effort with "J" bullets, but that is not really an option.

later,

CDOC

CDOC: There is a great article about these guns by Brian Pearce in Rifle Magazine #263 July 2012.

I would suggest getting a back issue if you don't already have one in your stash.

He lays out all of the things they did to get these guns to shoot. The main thing they did with both the .357 and the .44 was to carefully break the barrel in. By now I would expect yours probably is, but him and his sons were getting Sub 1.5" groups at 75 yards from virtually all loads in both these guns using a variety of powders and bullets and boolits as well as Factory Ammo.

They had the LBT WFNGC at 1822fps with 22.0 gr of AA9 for .95" at 75 yds. with a NEGC Peep sight mounted.

Given, Brian and his boys shoot more in one week than most of us shoot in 5 years, but the one thing to take a way is that these guys are going to get the most out of any gun they shoot. As such the results they got are about as good as it gets, and definitely something to shoot for.

One of my favorites was the 300 gr Cast Performance WFNGC with 21.0 gr. of H110 for 1600 fps! and a group size of 1.05" at 75 yards!

Inside of 200 yards that load will knock down just about anything! And it is well up into .45-70 ballistics! But in a 5 1/4 lb gun that is 38" long.

I'm getting closer and closer to getting one as I think this one could be a real winner. I already have lots of .44 stuff so I'm sure I can put something together that will shoot well.

Definitely a candidate for a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot Sight.

Anyway keep up the good work and keep us apprised of your progress.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Randy,

I'd really like to read that article by Brian Pearce. I have seen reference to it, but don't know how to trace it down. I think I did a search on line but didn't come up with the info.

The Bolt shim, trigger shim and Volquartsen target sear arrived yesterday after being ordered last Friday.

That was really fast service, Thanks Lance from Triggershims.com!

Time and testing will tell if the bolt shims give the expected decrease in group size, but the Target sear produced a fantastically improved trigger pull after the very - extremely - heavy factory pull.

Just the improved trigger pull will help group size.

Also rec'd the tip to day from BABore to check out Alliant 300MP powder for use in the .44.

If his tip on that comes even close to the value of his tip on the powder to use in my 45/70, it will be a good one.

Bought a great 465gr WFN mold from BABore - Bruce - when he was still making his high quality custom molds.

Anyone have ideas on how to get a copy of the Brian Pearce article, I like to hear them.

I have a Leupold 2X7 mounted on this 77/44

Thanks! for all the input!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link!

Sorry to say, only 12 of the total pages open and they do not include the info on the 77/357 or 44

Thanks again for the help!

CDOC

Ah, the link is a sample
    you have to buy the issue for $10.00
    https://www.riflemagazine.com/backissues/index.cfm

looks like cheaper on ebay $3-$5 + shipping but I didn't see the issue you need.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Thanks again!

I think I have a poster sending me a copy.

Thanks you for your efforts!

I'll be in town today, so will look for some Alliant 300MP. Recommended that I give that a try.

CDOC

CDOC: you'll get a lot out of that article. Bunch of good loads included using normal .44 type powders. H110 is my Favorite for faster loads.

On my Marlin 1894 I have shot the last two silhouette Shoots without cleaning it, and there is no loose powder in the barrel, no leading, and a nice lube star on the muzzle. So that sounds good.

The 2-7X scope will work just fine especially since it is a Leupold! Looking forward to seeing some targets with nice close groupings of holes.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Yep, an old thread, but have recently been out to do some more testing with my 77/44.

retested the 300 MP and it is a washout. as the pressure and powder charges increased, so did group size. Anyone want an almost full pound of 300 MP?

However, after reading different forum comments I bought some Lil'Gun and it is showing real promise!

I thought H110 was going to get the nod with my 275 - 280gr Wide Flat Nose cast, but need to do some more testing.

For sure this will be a 100yd. deer thumper!

Last session with the Lil'Gun gave the best group at a 5 shot velocity average of 1726.6fps.

Test group fired at 50yds.

Yep, that'll get er done.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002 (1).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	169962

crusty: That's some good shootin' and I would be very happy with that load. I'm sure the Silhouette Rams would get knocked down with authority!

The participation in Short Range Silhouette ahs increased to the point where they have decided to setup of the full course next week end.

I will be shooting it with my Marlin 1894 CB and 260 gr Thompson SWC's / 429244 CG. Hoping to break 30/40 but the Rams at a full 200 Meters and the Turkeys at 150M will be the deciding factor.

I will post results afterwards.

If they continue to set up the full course I will get a 77/44 from Ruger.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    Keeping this one alive....
    Crusty Deary Ol'coot.....I just bought the 77/44 from a fellow I trust very much and he said it was a shooter.. He sold me a Ruger No.1 in 45-70 that has turned out to become a favorite. I am thinking of this bullet ( 434-310RF ) from NOE http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=552

My concern is that it is merely 10 thousands longer in the nose than what the Ruger mag will accept. Being that the overall case length loaded is 1.610 and the ideal bullet length from crimp groove to nose is .325 and this bullet being .335, I am wondering if simply trimming the case back 10 thous would make it work. Nothing I can think of would prevent this from working???? Or am I missing something?

Wondering if the tolerance of what the mag will accept is critical to being 10 thous over length? And if it won't work, will I be ok with simply trimming back the case a bit?

Thanks....awaiting the arrival of the rifle. Ideally I want to shoot a 300 + grain bullet in or around the 1500-1600 fps range for timber hunting here in B.C. Canada. Kind of a minnie - me 45-70 in a short compact carbine, that points easily and holds 5 rounds cycled in a very short actioned carbine.
    Last edited by 35Whelen; 11-12-2016 at 01:05 AM.

Trimming back the brass is exactly what Hornady does with the LEVORLUTION ammo since the gummy tip is longer than conventional bullets. Should work great, and its what I want to try for my levergun. Keep us posted since it will take me too long to get to it...

Boolit Buddy
    I will do just that....going to order a mold for it soon. I was doing a bit of deeper reading on the 44mag ( rifle ) sections of a few of my manuals...and I would appear that I have answered by own question. Case length is 1.285 with a recommended trim to 1.275 lenght....so it would appear I'm good to go. That cast boolit should make the Hammer of Thor out of a 44 mag carbine with the ability to eat to the bullet hole, and with the double crimp groove, I now have a heavy for my model 29 too.....two birds with one stone

Boolit Master
    35Whelen,

That just might work however, I would personally try to avoid that trimming situation as it add one more thing to keep track of. If that was the direction I chose, maybe I'd just rim ALL my .44 mag cases to the chosen length to avoid a segregation hassle.

I recently tested three different powders with a semi-wadcutter of about 255 - 260gr and needed to crimp over the forward driving band to get the over all length to workable length.

Tested 3 - 5 shot groups with each of the powders and there was only one group that was even close to OK. The rest ran as far as VERY BAD.

For now, I'll be sticking with the 275gr Wide Flat Nose .444 bullet from the Accurate Molds mold.

I am seeing velocities into the low 1700s with that .444 bullet, and did see some as high as into the 1900s with the lighter bullet.

There are NO over all length or functioning issues with the .444 bullet and although I've run a steady diet of an LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) 310gr WFN through my Red Hawk it is too long for the RUGER magazine and frankly I don't see the need for a 100yd rifle.

The 77/44 is a real joy to carry, light & short etc. but if I think ranges will exceed much over the 100yd mark, I'll be back with the 45/70 or another rifle/cartridge.

Took an August elk at 161yds with the 45/70 and my 465gr WFN cast.

Good luck and keep us posted as to results, but where you have a 45/70, I'd back off a bit in bullet weight with the .44. Like they say, "K.I.S.S."

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

35 Whelen: Another boolit to look at is the Lee 310 gr Flat Nose. It has two crimp grooves and will seat deep enough to run thru that magazine. I bought a mould from a guy for $10 and it makes perfect boolits.

My Marlin won't shoot them very well due to the slow twist but the Ruger Carbine should with a 1:20 barrel.

I don't think the extra .010 would make that much difference but you could just seat one and see if it fits. I make dummy rounds like this to test guns all the time.

Oh,,, an I would look very seriously at installing a Small Red Dot Sight on that gun like a Bushnell TRS 25 or even a Burris Fast Fire. The idea of a fast handling carbine for woods shooting would make it so that this type of sight would be my first choice. The gun is a 150-200 yard gun on its best day, and I can hit a 8x10 steel plate every single time off a rest with all my .223 carbines with that same Bushnell Sight. The fact they are only $90 and worth twice as much doesn't hurt either.

Looking forward to seeing some results with this gun.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    W.R. thanks for the recommendations. I was thinking of the Lee, but recalled that they don't always throw a full sized boolit . I was hoping to get something in the 432 range of bigger to size down to fit the bore well. I ordered a 2 cavity mold from Accurate....a 280 grain flat nose ( designed for the 444) and the 300 H is the other cavity...should have me covered off on both the carbine and the model 29 now. I ordered in in .433
    I am toying with the idea of a red dot but wondering what bases I would need to mount that Fastfire? Any ideas on that one? That or I am just going to order a peep with a Hi Vis front sight.

Just for ***** and giggles I took it out to the range the other day while sighting in a buddies .358 Win. I had two loads for the 77/44 18.5 grns of 2400 under a Hornady 240 grain XTP and a 250 grain Keith ( Lyman 429421). It was hitting pop cans at 100 pretty consistent off hand. Couldn't hit paper to save my life, but Kentucky windage and the tongue held just so seemed to work for the cans....and it was minute of deer all day long. haaaaa

Boolit Master

Ruger has stopped production of the 77/44, if you want one, better grab it when you see it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...bers-temporily

Boolit Buddy
    Got one...thanks Steyr...and thanks for the reminder; I opened the link and read Ruger's announcement, prompting me to order a spare magazine as those will likely dry up too.

Boolit Master
    Max OAL in my mags is a rather generous 1.660" plus/minus 0.005" depending on the bullet nose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast