Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: trouble with iron molds

Boolit Buddy

trouble with iron molds

i just picked up a lyman 9mm 147gr mold and am having a lot of trouble with it compared to my aluminum lee molds it seems to go from not hot enough to too hot in about 3 boolits and the boolits stop dropping out and get pretty frosty and i end up with a 75% reject rate water dropping the boolits

is there a trick to getting good boolits from iron molds or am i doing something dramatically wrong i have the lee dipper casting pot and it is set on 2 trying to get the alloy cool enough i run at about 6 with the aluminum molds without issue but the iron molds are just giving me a fit

Banned

i run my iron molds at 675-700.
    i slow down my casting pace from 4 to 3 pours a minute.
    and watch the sprue go grey before opening,you can still open them with the push of a thumb at this point.
    the boolits go from shiney to grey coming out of the mold i run no hotter and no cooler than this color.
    not shiney and not white...grey.

Boolit Master

I started with Lee moulds and had the same problem when I got my first Lyman. Aluminum moulds need to be run screaming hot compared to iron or steel blocks, since the aluminum cools off so much quicker than iron. I use a Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot. What I do is start the melt as high as it will go. When molten, flux and stir and turn the temp down to around 7. Give it a couple minutes to stabilize and start casting. Once the sprue takes 5 to 6 seconds to harden, back the temp off to 3. Let the mould cool for a few minutes. Start casting again, watching sprue freeze time, and repeat the temp lowering/cooling cycle until the sprue consistently has a 3 to 4 second freeze time.

Boolit Grand Master

In all honesty, I prefer iron moulds to all others. I have several iron Lyman, Ohaus and RCBS moulds ~ mostly old Lymans and a few newer Lyman round ball moulds. I also have Lee, NOE, Mihec and Accurate moulds. If I had to choose one material it would be iron.

I love my brass moulds as they are so nice to look at, cast perfect boolits and work well but... I do like iron.

Now as to heating up too much, well, I don't worry about a bit of frosting as it doesn't hurt anything as far as I can tell. I have several large round ball moulds and yes, they do heat up but you can also cool them by setting them on a wet towel, wet sponge, spritzing with fine water mist or believe it or not when I cast in winter... outside... in the snow... I often set the bottom of the mould in the snow to cool it some. I let it steam for a bit with a boolit/ball in the cavity then drop the boolit onto my wet towel and carry on for a few more pours then repeat. It allows me to keep up a fast pace with iron moulds. As nhrifle says, I watch my sprue puddle freezing time and adjust pot heat but once I am down to "sustainable" pot heat and sprue puddle cooling time stretches out, I cool the mould.

I have never damaged or warped a mould in about 40 years of doing this.

YMMV but it works for me.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    i figured it was to high of a mold temp i will try cooling the molds in between casts tomorrow

thanks

Boolit Master
    Try casting with 2 iron molds, alternating, so they can cool accordingly. You can also put a small fan on your bench for extra cooling.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Got it running good today had the pot turned all the way down and keeper the mold cool enough that I could touch it bare handed for about half a send seemed about he perfect temp