Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: First Boolits!

Boolit Mold

First Boolits!

Finally was able to get everything together and play! I am still tying to get the hang of it though! Alot of them I couldn't get to fill right.. Should I be shaking the mold a little to get it to fill better?? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolits.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	60036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolit.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	60035

Banned

shaking the mold does not help and in fact could hurt.
    i would get the mold temp a bit higher.
    about the best way to do that is to cast faster for a couple of throws,let the boolits get to a more grey state.
    then maintain that color through speed.

Boolit Buddy

Purdy picture!

Don't shake it. Fill out is a combination of proper alloy, alloy temp, proper mold temp, and cavity condition/conditioning.

Are you using ww? or some other scrap lead source? or a commercial blend?

Did you completely de-grease your mold cavity and clean with a good solvent?

Have you smoked the cavities with a butane lighter or match a little after cleaning them?

Finally there is pour speed, and even if all of the other planets align some just don't come out perfect anyway...

Boolit Buddy

What runfiverun said.

Getting your alloy temp, and mould temp up to par, will help in casting more than you know. Be sure your mould is clean, no oils or waxes in the boolit area of the mould, preheating your mould is a plus, I bought an el cheapo single burner hot plate, to help heat up my mould. Also, keep an eye on your alloy temp. Definately need a thermometer.

Practice, Practice, Practice. Learn each one of your moulds. Each one of mine has a little different casting characteristic.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Yes degreased and smoked very well!! The bullets all dropped free and easy every time! It was very smooth altogether! I did not even notice the bad ones til I was a ways in. I will try casting faster to keep mold temp up and also raisethe temp of the mix.

I am not sure of the alloy... I was told it was part plumbers lead... An old caster gave it to me out of his personal stash. I did add a pound of wheel weights in though just to make sure!

Most of them came out beautifully though! I was concerned by the color of the mix however.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Great job!
    You will learn by doing.
    Yes up your temp. and when
    the sprue changes color cut and drop then repeat.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Mold
    I am working on the thermometer just don't have the funds right now. But soon! I never saw the sprue change color so I will look for that!

Boolit Buddy
    Being a newbie myself(started last summer) I've noticed temperature of the mold and melt are pretty key factors in making casting successful.

Boolit Master

joseph - When the sprue changes color it does so because it has hardened enough to cut. If you look closely, you will also see it "suck down" on the last cavity poured. Time to cut it. Right now.... enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Banned

smoked???
    noooooooooo.
    smoke adds oils back into the cavity's.

smoke is a last resort get you through a casting session bandaid only.
    it's used to make the boolits fall from the cavity easier and it hides the true problem ,,,sorta,,,, usually,,kinda...maybe.
    if you have problems getting the boolit from the mold you polish the cavity's and/or remove the burrs around the edges.

A little tin will also help in fill out, 1 or 2 %. Keep at it. Bushwack