Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031

Thread: can you make priming compound?

Boolit Master

Not that one but have some scars from what some referred to as wood's compound I do not know if it is possible to get red phosphorous now?

I keep threatening to fill out the paperwork and order some Barium Chlorate for percussion caps but have not.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply. I did give that mix a try. It was too weak to be of any use. I did use crushed up charcoal for the grill ,perhaps that was a problem. Of the seven percussion caps tested only one had power. The other six were about like two toy pistol caps. I have found that the FA-42 mix works great as does the prime-all if the crumbling problem is dealt with.

n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did give that mix a try. It was too weak to be of any use. I did use crushed up charcoal for the grill ,perhaps that was a problem. Of the seven percussion caps tested only one had power. The other six were about like two toy pistol caps. I have found that the FA-42 mix works great as does the prime-all if the crumbling problem is dealt with.

n.h.schmidt
    Charcoal for the grill is about 30% clay! You try it over with real charcoal or even Char made from cotton it will not be weak! It can even be made into small explosive targets .
    To make Char or Charcoal You need to put cloth (char) or wood in a closed container with small hole heat until it stops smoking block hole and let it cool . Some say do not use the charcoal in the first week after it is made.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Now that is real interesting. I have made char cloth and char wood for fire starting. I can try that right away. What about the charcoal used in filters? Like for fish tanks. It's available in most stores.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Master

The Charcoal used in filters IS sometimes called "Activated Charcoal " My understanding is it is made at high temperature and burns poorly but have never tried .

Banned
    You guys may be interested in this:

Boolit Buddy
    You are welcome to educate us on how you do it. What we are doing now only takes three easy ingredients. If it works ,then ok we have something. I don't care if its corrosive.

Boolit Master
    Very early in this thread Marshall explained that you firse have to make stephonic acid. Then react that with lead oxide. But that is not the only component of these primers.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Well I gave the char cloth a try in the mix instead of the grill charcoal. Two fired out of ten. One of them had good power and would have worked well in a rifle. The other that fired was way way too powerful. This was only a percussion cap filled about a quarter full. I grind up the charcoal or char cloth in a granite mortar and pestle. Maybe a bit of grit was in the two that worked. I may try using a very small amt of glass for grit in my next try. I was hoping to not use any grit at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    learn to make nitric acid and report back. You will need hydrochloric acid ,potassium nitrate and some pure copper. But Be careful a whiff up the nose will bring adema
    How bout (since it is so easy) you show us how to make nitric acid as it is a necessary step in the process.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031