Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: I popped my FAL cherry today.

I popped my FAL cherry today.

Pretty clean. Looks to be used very little:

I've been wanting a .308 SA rifle and saw this one today- couldn't pass it up.

HURRY UP GRAFS with my .308 dies i've had on order for 3 weeks!
    Last edited by Ole; 02-02-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a nice one! DSA does put out some decent rifles, too - not that they haven't made some stinkers, too. Hopefully you got one of the gooduns!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Man, that is so nice! I am jealous!!!

Thanks for the compliments gents!

I wonder if I should try to shoot cast boolits with it.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I wonder if I should try to shoot cast boolits with it.
    The ones i've tried with the 308 Sil. boolit have shot very well.....................

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    The ones i've tried with the 308 Sil. boolit have shot very well.....................
    Thank you sir I have that mold (165gr IIRC) and will add that to the to do list.

Boolit Buddy
    nice rifle,i have been wanting a 308 cal rifle for awhile,i almost pulled the trigger on a scar heavy a couple mo ago but i was waiting for prices to drop,oops

Quote Originally Posted by phil3333 View Post
    nice rifle,i have been wanting a 308 cal rifle for awhile,i almost pulled the trigger on a scar heavy a couple mo ago but i was waiting for prices to drop,oops
    Yeah this one wasn't cheap for sure, but I had a 1oz gold eagle that I paid $350 for in 2003 that the previous rifle's owner seemed to want pretty badly.

It's still a lot of money, but it made it easier for me to swallow the cost. Most I've ever paid for a rifle before was my Garand for $700.

Would this scope be a good choice for my FAL? http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...out/basket.jsp

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations on your purchase. Metric pattern FALS are one of my favorite rifles (other one is the M14.) If you have not visited yet go over to the www.falfiles.com and register for the forum.

Welcome to the addiction - watch the screws on the top cover they tend to unscrew themselves on some of 'em

Boolit Master

DSA made magazines did not work very well for me until I put extra power mag springs in them.

Boolit Mold
    Very Nice. I have been able to achieve regular 1.5-2" groups with RL15 and 168SMKs with my DSA non-Steyr barrel. They are fun to shoot but super heavy to stalk hunt with. I had a Nikon Buckmaster mounted on mine for a while. I like to shoot mine open sights and have often thought about getting a hooded rear sight like yours.

45 2.1,
    I have a Saeco #311 on order from Grafs. What powder are you using for your FAL? I have been reading thru a sticky post here by a Bruce B? Would his charges for his M14 be enough to cycle the FAL?

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi Lavazza View Post
    45 2.1, I have a Saeco #311 on order from Grafs. What powder are you using for your FAL? I have been reading thru a sticky post here by a Bruce B? Would his charges for his M14 be enough to cycle the FAL?
    I'm using a very slow surplus powder with a booster that gives over 2,300 fps chrono'd. I will not post what it is due to some of the inhabitants here and the controversy. It has produced some very small groups with the 30 Sil. at long range, though not in the FAL as of yet due to sighting issues at longer ranges.
    As far as cycling a semi-auto, what works in one usually works in the others.... provided its a heavy enough load, so BruceB's thread should be helpfull to you.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Congrats! Thats a nice rifle. Here's my Austrian STG-58 Steyr Damieler Puch, on a Imbel forged reciever I built when parts kits was $150 and receivers were $200! The upside to the STG-58 was the excellent non chromed Steyr hammer forged barrel. I shoot with iron sights and anything 300 yards away is dog meat!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Has anybody got a place where I could get a real FAL bipod for a reasonable price.

Boolit Buddy
    Something to dream about. But you can not have it in New Yorkistan. Thanks to Handy Andy.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Sarco sometimes have things for FAL's! Need to call and ask though!

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

http://www.sarcoinc.com/fnfal.html
    Last edited by seagiant; 02-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

that sure is a fine looking piece of metal you have there! i'm sure you will be having a lot of fun with it, good luck.
    skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

UPDATE:

I got the scope mounted last Thursday (Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42 Mil dot).

I fired a group close up to get on paper @ 100 yards. I was firing off my RCBS RASS portable bench. It's nice, handy, and portable, but not sandbag solid.

First group was with handloaded ball ammo to see where I needed to move the scope. 1.5"! I was pretty surprised/pleased. Ammo was unsorted 1x brass, CC1#34 primers, 42gr Ramshot TAC, and a 150 grain PRVI FMJ/BT bullet.

After making adjustments to the scope I shot 6 more groups at the same distance. No group was larger than 2.5", but I got another 1.5" group with my match load. New Lapua brass. CC1#34 primers, 42.2gr RL 15, and a 168 grain Sierra HPBT match bullet.

Little windy today. I think on the right day under the right conditions this could be a 1MOA rifle. I'm happy.