RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Cast in High Definition Gun Video

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia

Shooting Cast in High Definition Gun Video

So I wanted to briefly share this video that a friend made when I gave him some of my homemade 309-165 Ranch Dogs rolled up in 30-30 shells to test out.

Bump it up to 720p and enjoy!

Warning: this video is not a review of any product, it was made in less than an hour by my producer friend as a thank you for some boolits I rolled him. This video was not intended for an audience, but I thought I would share it because I think it has relatively good production value for the small amount of time outlay. I think the cast (and gun) worlds could use more talented video producers, hence me sharing this tidbit.

Now he was mostly goofing off when he did that, but he has real talent, and since that video has started his own production company. We have begun talks about making a Youtube show dedicated to high production quality gun reviews/shooting/cast boolits etc.

I would love to hear from you guys what you like to see in a gun review/gun video? What you don't like? Etc... If things go productively we may have a "pilot" episode in a couple of weeks.

I love this forum and hopefully can help to further the arts!
    Last edited by Christorbust; 02-04-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Trying to get original post intention across

Boolit Bub
    When watching a review, I like the information to be direct. No "beating around the bush" type stuff. It doesn't hurt to see the product in action. When watching a "how to" video, I like thorough information. Very detailed descriptions of what's happening in each of the steps of the process helps me visualize what's going on in my head. Good camera angles and lighting really help to give me a better understanding of the process too. I hope you guys do great in this endeavor. It's always good to have more useful reviews on the things I'm interested in before I purchase them for myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to be to picky but he should tone down the music it's a bit over the top, he's not the only one most of the video clips are the same,

Boolit Master
    He broke some nevers of the ten commandments of gun safety. He loaded the gun, he set it down then walked in front of it. Not good!

Boolit Buddy
    Savingprivateyang- thanks for the constructive comments, those are actually great tips.

Shooternz I think he was intending to be a little over the top, but I'll keep that in mind. I think there are a lot of low quality gun videos, one camera, one angle, one scene. I haven't seen many good quality ones, please enlighten me if you know them. Also, the video you saw was just
    something he made goofing off in an hour one day as a thank you for the bullets I sent him, I really don't think he intended it for a large audience.

Bullshop he cut and pasted the different scenes around as he liked, I doubt he actually loaded the gun until he was ready to fire. Movie magic made it appear that way for sure, but I suppose it would be a better idea to show safe handling habits, even if we have already cleared everything off camera. We will have to be mindful of how we splice everything together in the end. Input received!

Keep it flowing guys!

NO EYE PROTECTION!!

I suppose I may be too critical.........but........if you're going to present information to the general public then you should know more about your subject than the average viewer.

What do you expect the viewer to get from the video? Did you show me how accurate your bullet is? Did you show me how effective your bullet is? Did you show me how cool you look on YouTube?

Maybe I'm just being too critical, but like I used to tell my son...."If you just want to make noise, firecrackers are a heck of a lot cheaper!"

Overall............Composition, OK. Editing, OK. Content, ZERO.

Oh, one more thing.....That John Wayne move there at the end.....I don't like to see a good piece of equipment abused. Unless it's an essential part of the demonstration or part of a destructive test, I don't think it's appropriate.

But then, what do I know about it? Maybe I should just delete this and mind my own business..................

........................NAH!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with Jerry. The gun move at the end I found silly. I don't abuse my guns like that. Leave that garbage to Hollywood.
    What was the content? What was reviewed? I saw someone shooting. What was I supposed to get out of it? I don't know any more now than I did before.
    Like Jerry and Bullshop said, safety issues were present. No eye protection. Walking in front of the muzzle. Safety MUST be a primary concern, no wiggle room on that.
    Get a real range. A bit of wood on the ground means ricochet. Where did the bullet stop? A bench would be better than what was shown.
    If you want to produce a professional video then it required more than a camera and editing software. It requires content, composition, and knowing the target audience.

Banned

slow down on the "jumping" scene's made me dizzy.

I started my own outfitting company once. I know I did because the company name was printed on the top of the letterhead I created.

Boolit Buddy
    To all posters: I suppose I was not clear originally, this video clip is NOT a review of anything or a sample of what we are possibly hoping to produce. This video was created by my producer friend in an hour one day to thank me for the 30-30 boolits I had made for him. He was mostly goofing off, and never intended it for an audience. I put it on here because I found it entertaining that he could do it that quickly, and I thought it had relatively high quality production value related to the amount of time he put into it.

I suppose I may have been better served to leave the video out, and to just ask for your desired opinion:

What do you like/dislike/wish to see in a gun review video on youtube?

Take 2.

Boolit Grand Master
    I want to see careful gun handlers, specific information or purpose of the video, and helpful / thoughtful insights. Immature, unsafe, chest puffing trash is a waste of my time and fodder for the antis to use.

I want to see the group. I want to see the boolits. I want to know what range it was shot at. Love watching the video, can tolerate the music, good to see such enjoyment with the shooting .

Boolit Buddy
    He also needs to rest the forestock on the bag, not the barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    He broke some nevers of the ten commandments of gun safety. He loaded the gun, he set it down then walked in front of it. Not good!
    He was not wearing eye protection also!

He should first learn safe gun handling and make videos teaching that, we have too many idiots with guns now due to people learning about guns from TV and movies.

Gun accidents give gun grabbers ammunition in the fight to take guns away!

Boolit Grand Master
    THismisnt necessarily the best target audience for videos. Many here have so much experience that they aren't interested in watching a video review. Many here, if they chose to, could make them!
    First thing to do is identify your target audience. What do they want? Will they pay for it?
    Are you doing reviews, education, or demonstrations?
    The video production is only part of the picture. No matter how high the quality of the video and production if the content isn't right then none of it matters.

Personally I don't use YouTube to learn anything regarding firearms. I am actually far more likely to see links to videos there done by people who are clueless. Please don't be one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Christorbust View Post
    [B]TWhat do you like [...] to see in a gun review video on youtube?
    Well, since you asking for honest feedback ... nothing. I find YouTube gun videos amateurish, tedious, long winded and tiresome. Some I find downright dangerous. I do watch a few of Hickock45's but that's basically all. What you're doing is asking a bunch of battle scarred barnyard cats how to go about building your first LEGO mouse trap.

As to the disclaimer in your post, it's admirable to explain to people the production was rushed and is therefore not to misconstrued as indicative of the final release quality. I notice you made no disclaimer concerning dangerous gun handling or destructive "Hollywood" gun techniques. I guess it's a good thing you didn't even attempt to disclaim irresponsible behavior since there's just no excuse for such when dealing with any gun.

Of course this is strictly my opinion, but you did ask for it.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 02-04-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Master

This is a tough crowd. You asked for criticism and you got it. It is constructive and all given out of a vast collection of experience and knowledge, and common sense. It is exactly what I would have expected.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    He was not wearing eye protection also!

He should first learn safe gun handling and make videos teaching that, we have too many idiots with guns now due to people learning about guns from TV and movies.

Gun accidents give gun grabbers ammunition in the fight to take guns away!

Especially if you would happen to get it on camera and post it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I saw enough to know I wouldn't want to go shooting with him.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I saw no intent/claim to make this video a "review" of any product, reloading method, or shooting proceedure/safety. It showed a man shooting a Marlin with what appeared to be a cast bullet. Nothing was offered for sale, nothing was touted as "reloading or shooting gospel". It's just a short video for entertainment purposes only. You guys seemed to have "dogpiled" on the OP and video maker....
    My Anchor is holding fast!