Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Talk to me about Iron Sights and aging Eyes

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Regarding peep sights on a k98......I can't remember who made it, but I have a sight that uses the ejector box screw as a mount with a bridge over the receiver. You just remove the screw and mount the sight with the longer one...easily reversed. Works slick and I wish someone would make them again!

Boolit Grand Master

I have pretty much changed over to Red Dot sights for my handguns. I have to shoot with my OFF eye (right handed shooting, left eye to look at the sights).

A few months ago I got a couple of new iron sight handguns that I wish to use "as is" a Ruger 50th Anniversary Flattop.44 magnum and a Ruger Flattop .44 Lipsey Special. I bought a pair of clear clip on's (work just like flip up sun glasses but are a clear magnification lens). The power recommended to me is 1.5 power which is what I have. It was suggested that 1.5 power be used for two handed use (the gun is closer to the eye). It works near perfect for me. The front sight is sharp and the target is somewhat blurred. You need to focus on the front sight, NOT the target for best results even if you have perfect vision. A very slight misalignment of the front sight and you shoot a miss. I small misalignment of the target and you shoot a nine, as an example.

Base534 gave a link for inexpensive clip ons that will pretty much solve you problem (if you insist on iron sights). I have shot some pretty decent targets while using these:

Standing at 25 yards with the .44 Lipsey Special.
    It is NOT as easy to do as using a Red Dot but it sure beats MISSING.

What is nice is that I clip them onto my regular glasses, shoot, then flip them up so see "normally".

I have had cataract operations in both eyes. My left eye is pretty dern good but suffers from lack of near vision.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Mold
    Well its tough for me to say what they will do for anyone else, but my big problem is up close, not far away. They work good for me is all i can really say, sorry i cant be more helpful.
    The glasses in your link do look the same though and are cheaper. I may pick up a few pairs as i use them while reloading also.

Beekeeper
    Dale,
    Do you have any problems with sunshine giving you headaches?
    I have had both eyes done (cataract removal) and find that I am much more light sensitive than I was before.
    It seems that every time I go outside without sunglasses I get a massive headache, other than that my vision is near perfert 20/30 and my reading glassed are almost clear glass.

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.hlberg.dk/eurosimulator/shooting_usa.html
    Interesting link to improve iron sight picture.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Beekeeper;
    I do believe that my eyes are more light sensitive. I wear my prescription sunglasses when driving (almost religiously) but I use the clear glass ones without problems when shooting (we have a covered firing point which helps somewhat). My vision is definitely better (not a ton better, but better) when I use the clear lenses (a small iris opening sharpens the vision, just like a camera).

Headaches are mostly a "thing of the past" since I retired...

Dale53

A challange, ?? my picture shows my shooting stance useing 10" contenders in 22 LR and 22 Hornet used in IHMSA small bore and field pistol comp. tarhets are at 25,50,75 and 100 yards The rear sight is a Williams base with a Merit Adj. appature.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

stephen perry

Lyman 57EW Sights

I have a Winchester 69 Match 22 Rifle. It has factory installed Lyman 57EW peep sights. I have the tin with all the choices of front sight inserts. I chose the front post that matches what is similar to all my other front metal sights.

My first micrometer sights. Makes shooting easier for me having to only place the front sight on the target would be good for not so good eyes.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Mold
    I have used this sight on my M38, M44 without the bayonet.
    http://www.mojosights.com/mosin_nagant.html

I shot Mil Surps with original open sights and find the "ghost ring" sights to be the easiest on my eyes. 20-40 far vision but cant see the front sight near vision

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234