Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Tips on Salvaging Range Lead

Boolit Buddy
    Big hassle I have is skimming the dross. What if I melted a pot full of backstop lead, then stuck a copper loop into the metal at the bottom. When it hardens I could lift out the lead and dispose of the dross.
    It wouldn't matter if I lost tin, etc from the melt. If it gave me pure lead that would be ok.
    I'm wanting to avoid the fluxing, stirring, scooping processes.

Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Big hassle I have is skimming the dross. What if I melted a pot full of backstop lead, then stuck a copper loop into the metal at the bottom. When it hardens I could lift out the lead and dispose of the dross.
    It wouldn't matter if I lost tin, etc from the melt. If it gave me pure lead that would be ok.
    I'm wanting to avoid the fluxing, stirring, scooping processes.
    Get one of these to scoop out the dross. Scoop up jackets, tap with a large serving spoon or piece of wood to get most of the lead out of the jackets and dump into a metal can of some sort. Run a very strong magnet over jackets to remove any steel and take brass and copper jackets to recycler to pay for the magnet and propane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asian Style Wire Strainer.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	295282
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I will try that.
    I pulled a bucket of backstop lead out of the garage and fetched my crucible (AKA Goodwill sauce pan) out of the shed. I'm waiting for the weather to break just enough for me to set up the turkey fryer out on the patio and put the heat to some lead. This thread has given me motivation.

My problem is I don't have much scrap lead. I've got about 10 gallons of linotype out in the shed, but I hate to use that for pistol/plinking loads.

You may want to try and trade some of the Lino for some pewter. I never add anything other than pewter to my range scrap because it is usually hard enough for shooting at the range. The pewter is only added when I am having problems with fill-out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I wish I had a turkey pot full of Lino . my Lino stash is down to about a quart size bag but still have a good bit of pure lead in a trash can. I know this isn't the swap and sell section but it is useful to have stuff to harden up range scrap and pure lead, for what I do anyway.
    last time I melted down range scrap from sand berms at Cecil Webb was years ago and it was just about as soft as pure lead. I added 3 spacer sticks, maybe 1/2-3/4 lb, of Lino to each 10lb pot of range scrap and it was perfect for me In both 35 rem and 30-30

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    You may want to try and trade some of the Lino for some pewter. I never add anything other than pewter to my range scrap because it is usually hard enough for shooting at the range. The pewter is only added when I am having problems with fill-out.
    I scour the Goodwill store for pewter. Found a nice bread pan recently for $3.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789