RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: phillips head anyone ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    In actually putting some thought behind those lovely "soft-serve" designs... I think they could have some real potential. If you match the twist rate to the barrel you're pushing it through, you could actually gain a much higher BC just through the higher surface area. The aerodynamics of it could potentially help maintain stability much longer than a smooth-sided boolit. Add on the BT GC's I saw someone making serious headway on, and I think we have a potential match-boolit worthy of some real consideration. This could really be something, guys.
    Those are gorgeous bullets.
    Taco650 on the forum put me up to it.
    Last week I tried getting the CAD file into my CAM program but so far no luck, it just isn't translating properly.
    I'm going to try a few more tricks but it seems too comlex for the older CAM program.
    I would love to cut them !

Quote Originally Posted by oldpara View Post
    Those are gorgeous bullets.
    Taco650 on the forum put me up to it.
    Last week I tried getting the CAD file into my CAM program but so far no luck, it just isn't translating properly.
    I'm going to try a few more tricks but it seems too comlex for the older CAM program.
    I would love to cut them !
    Sure, blame me! Your work inspires my creativity and I guess I just speak my mind a little too often. Guess I should shut up LOL!

Boolit Master
    I've been thinking about a way to mold a copy of a discontinued bullet ever since I got into casting. Aquila made a line of deep hollow point partitioned bullets from zinc. The Feds "asked" them to stop and they did. Aguila called the line the I.Q. bullet because it would expand/seperate into three peaces when it hit soft targets; but fold in and punch through hard targets. I'm thinking that this mold cutting technique would be the ideal way to make these bullets.

The only real issue would be what diameter to cut the bullet as it would be filled with zinc? What do ya'll think?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Sure, blame me! Your work inspires my creativity and I guess I just speak my mind a little too often. Guess I should shut up LOL!
    Don't you dare shut up !
    Imagination is inspiration

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I've been thinking about a way to mold a copy of a discontinued bullet ever since I got into casting. Aquila made a line of deep hollow point partitioned bullets from zinc. The Feds "asked" them to stop and they did. Aguila called the line the I.Q. bullet because it would expand/seperate into three peaces when it hit soft targets; but fold in and punch through hard targets. I'm thinking that this mold cutting technique would be the ideal way to make these bullets.

The only real issue would be what diameter to cut the bullet as it would be filled with zinc? What do ya'll think?
    I've never played with zinc but the mold would be an easy one to cut.
    I've cut stuff similar but more exagerated in 45 and 38cal.
    Nothing in hollowpoint but that's not a difficult addition to a mold, just more manipulation in the casting process.
    I just finished this 45 cal 225gr this week and fired a couple into the duxseal this morning.

I'll model something and see what it looks like

Perhaps a hollow pointed version of this would produce similar results

Boolit Buddy

Here's something in 45 cal.

But again, in zinc I don't know. Does it shrink, expand ? I do know I've heard that it is hard enough so that lube isn't needed so a little weight could be gained without the lube groove. Or a re-design into some exotic shape without the otherwise necessary lube grooves.

Boolit Master
    This is so cool
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpara View Post
    Here's something in 45 cal.

But again, in zinc I don't know. Does it shrink, expand ? I do know I've heard that it is hard enough so that lube isn't needed so a little weight could be gained without the lube groove. Or a re-design into some exotic shape without the otherwise necessary lube grooves.
    WOW! That looks incredible. I've read a few threads on possibly useing zinc but I don't know that anyone has actually tried it. No, you shouldn't need any lube but size of the mold cavity would be critical. I'm not sure about shrinkage but I don't think anyone would want to try and re-size on of those sucker. Maybe someone can give a bit of input on that issue.

Boolit Buddy
    I've thought about using zinc from time to time but never tried.
    I do know the weights are much lighter, and casting techniques are different.
    With current and future regulations and restrictions it may be one of the metals we turn to so as to continue our sport.

Boolit Master
    I remember those zinc Aguila bullets... wondered what happened to them... as I recall, they were around 160 grains, maybe lighter (?)... given the lower cost of zinc, I'd like to try a zinc boolit too... higher melt point may make iron the best mold material... or is this a candidate for swaging??? love the idea of no lube...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    I remember those zinc Aguila bullets... wondered what happened to them... as I recall, they were around 160 grains, maybe lighter (?)... given the lower cost of zinc, I'd like to try a zinc boolit too... higher melt point may make iron the best mold material... or is this a candidate for swaging??? love the idea of no lube...

I can't speak from personal experiance so maybe I'm all wet here, but I HEARD that swaging zinc is a mother. Like swaging brass.
    And I seem to recall someone somewhere saying zinc and aluminum molds are a tough match.
    But there's my total knowledge on that subject........
    Still, I would like to experiment with the stuff, maybe a zinc bullet with a lead, steel, brass, or carbide core to give it a little extra mass. Anyone know where to get depleted uranium ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    The 45's are 117gr at 1450 fps. Scuttlebutt was that they would penetrate soft body armor. If true they did not violate the letter of the law regarding AP ammo but the Feds (supposedly) leaned on them to "voluntarily" stop making them. I've got three boxes saved up and keep them in my carry gun. (I think they are an ideal round for a daily carry pistol. Doesn't over penetrate in soft stuff, but would penetrate a car door or window) I'd love the ability to produce these cartridges myself!

Boolit Buddy
    The 45's are 117gr at 1450 fps. Scuttlebutt was that they would penetrate soft body armor. If true they did not violate the letter of the law regarding AP ammo but the Feds (supposedly) leaned on them to "voluntarily" stop making them. I've got three boxes saved up and keep them in my carry gun. (I think they are an ideal round for a daily carry pistol. Doesn't over penetrate in soft stuff, but would penetrate a car door or window) I'd love the ability to produce these cartridges myself!
    On a fixed sight weapon it must be a booger to hold on target properly unless you know just where the point of impact is.
    117gr 45 ? that thing must shoot lowwwwww, or somewhere other than factory weights.
    BUT, that is some good FPS, and something with that cross sectional area must slap at that velocity regardless of the weight.
    So I can picture pouring a small quantity of lead down a generous hollow cavity to increase the weight.
    Maybe a nose pour mold made just to hold the already cast zinc bullet so as to fill it with lead.
    If the melting point of the zinc is higher that the lead it might work.
    I'm game !

Moderator Emeritus
    Impressive and innovative indeed, seems we need some mould GB's going with these ideas.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy

I need to belly up

I've been sharing these designs with all of you but I didn't just didn't anticipate the enthusiasum from all of you.
    Because of this I'm feeling in no small way crappy about not being able to supply you guys with at least something to play with.
    Soooooooooo, and I mean Sooooooooo, If you PM me I'll try to supply you with at least a SMALL sample of some of the stuff I've been posting.
    If you've been following the post you know that these pieces are not really ready for prime time.
    These are molds I made for myself, out of scrap brass and an old cnc that has it's issues.
    With all the faults, and less than perfect geometry translated to the controler, I am willing, and less than proud to offer some pieces to you guys.
    They are what they are, you will have to size and gas check where applicable and you will see why.
    Be kind and don't ask for too much, I have only a limited supply of alloy and you know with doomsday and insurrection just around the corner I need to keep a small supply of lead on hand..........
    Also some of these molds are a bit of a pisser to work with and I'm inhereantly lazy and stuff so again not too much will be produced.
    I really appreciate all your support and encouragement ! If I'm able to buy the cnc from my now dying company I will take the time and effort to try and produce real molds of some quality for anything you guys can dream up, for a price you can justify over and over.
    Until then and if , I'm stuck where I am with what I have. Which is fine for me but won't produce much for you all.

This is my production center

Boolit Master
    I understand completely where you are. The ideas on trying to duplicate the Iguilla round were just kind of thrown out there for thought. It might be worth exploring sometime in the future to see if it is indeed possible. Practically, I suspect there will be some trial and error to deal with as it is new ground to cover. Maybe its something that could be explored if the situation is right. I really appriciate you doing the drawings you did, that is a great starting point of something on paper. Should you ever decide to go further into it let me know, I'd be happy to pull a couple of bullets to send you for reference.

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I understand completely where you are. The ideas on trying to duplicate the Iguilla round were just kind of thrown out there for thought. It might be worth exploring sometime in the future to see if it is indeed possible. Practically, I suspect there will be some trial and error to deal with as it is new ground to cover. Maybe its something that could be explored if the situation is right. I really appriciate you doing the drawings you did, that is a great starting point of something on paper. Should you ever decide to go further into it let me know, I'd be happy to pull a couple of bullets to send you for reference.

Thanks!
    No problem on the images.
    If at some point you want the geometry file to send to a custom caster just let me know, it's yours.

Boolit Buddy
    please dont stop i love this thread.
    thank you so much for the work and posts.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Boolit Buddy
    I was playing around with a really useless style, a pencil sharpener bullet thing, got it all modeled and programmed and well....

Tell me, what's wrong with this picture ??

Boolit Master
    The screw head should be into the bullet. not out.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast