Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR De-Rimming machine finished and operating

Vendor Sponsor

One more word of caution! Our reloading presses are not indistructable! I have done distructive testing on nearly everything I own, including my pnumatic press. It is possible to get catistrofic failure if we attempt to swage things on a powered press that we shouldn't be as well as using to much pressure. Stick to 22lr brass and you will be just fine. In my case I was lucky I was sitting a ways back from the press. I was attempting more then I should have been with the powered press and blew the top of the press off! The die hit the roof of the shop!

I still use my pnumatic press with %100 confidence when deriming 22lr brass and as many of you are starting to realize it is a great aid to deriming 22lr brass.

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Frosted Boolits

Anyone have any part numbers for the hand switches they are using to activate the ram? Thanks!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    I don't use the hand operated one (I know OSHA Safety Violation, make sure your hands are free before hitting the foot switch), I'm using a foot switch, http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...es/CVS-5272-FP, it's $25.50

That's a lot cheaper than using an electrical selinoid to control the air

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    Anyone have any part numbers for the hand switches they are using to activate the ram? Thanks!
    I'm using the push pull manual valve, but am also buying the toggle style. They come in 1/4 and 1/8 npt

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...s/AVS-537D2-PP

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...s/AVS-537D2-HL

Frosted Boolits

Thanks everyone for the info!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    ****! Just went out to work on my derim machine, the low life took my drill bits also! (See earlier post). At least he didn't get my BT dies......

My back yard is beginning to look like a POW camp. Pad locks every where, security lights, alarms systems, and I've got some one coming over to give me a quote on a 6' chain link fence. It's a 4 foot with bushes right now.

May Liberty Increase!
    It's a shame one has to spend such effort and resources to secure what belongs to them. We live in a subdivision on a 2 acre plot that includes a portion of a creek, nothing huge, but it's mine and I'm pretty particular about it. Folks, mostly kids, have wandered onto our plot and when confronted stated "we didn't know it was yours." My response was "you knew it wasn't yours, didn't you?" Whatever happened to respect for private property? It sucks you are having to expend the effort and resources, Scarry Scarney.

For those with the pneumatic setups and experience with drawing operations, will the pneumatic operations work on drawing 9mm cases? If not, what is the limiting factor? Strength of the press? Available force of the ram?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    For those with the pneumatic setups and experience with drawing operations, will the pneumatic operations work on drawing 9mm cases? If not, what is the limiting factor? Strength of the press? Available force of the ram?
    Here is where the potential danger begins. Repsect the limits of reloading presses we are using here. They are not industructable and will let go with extreem force when they go!

Size down brass other then 22 cal? Yes it has been done. The danger comes when you attempt to size down brass more then once without anneling it first or too great of reduction attempted. If your smart you will know when your system is unable to accoplish the task, or your brass is not annealed enough or the reduction attempted is too great. Or if your like me you will ignor these signs and blow the top of the press into the roof of your shop.

So becareful. Yes, it is possible to make great jackets from many different types and sizes of brass and the power of hydrolics and pnumatics makes the job a lot easier yet a lot more dangerous, just be sure to anneal all brass really good before each draw and keep the reductions small for each step (maybe .030 max). Don't quote me on any of this and use all powered tools at your own risk. Me? I'll continue to enjoy my pnumatic press but I give it a lot of respect!

Good shooting and Swage on!

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 03-07-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

May Liberty Increase!
    Understood, BT. As the saying goes, overkill is highly underrated. I like the pneumatic idea, as pneumatics tend to be cleaner and cheaper than hydraulics, in my experience. My question was posed to understand the weak point and try to figure out a way to overcome it. Think the "build your own swaging press" without the linkages.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post

The force in lbs a cylinder exerts is calculated by multiplying Pi R squared times the PSI. A 4" bore will exert 1257 lbs, a 5" exerts 1963 lbs at 100 PSI. I started with a 2" bore thinking 300 lbs would derim a 22lr casing ..... not even close. The 4" derims with relative ease. Once I spaced the feed ram base 5/16" from the die body, everything began to work smoothly. As for the press, I rigged a lee challenger to the cylinder and locked it down on all sides with 5/16 socket head cap screws. I reinforced the back edge that would hang off the bench when used conventionally with the stock lever.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Bump to top because of someone asking about air cylinders

I'm glad you gave it the bump, I just watched the video and it is impressive none the less! Great work!

Hey Bonz, That goofy someone was me. I never read this post to the end. I appologize guys. Lesson learned. This thread is talking about what I was looking for. Duke used a 3 1/4" bore, that must be about as small as one can go. Are you guys building units using the press ads Duke did? I'm thinking of a bit of a different build. We'll see what happens. I'm heading for shoulder replacement surgery on Friday so my playing days will be on hold for a time. I can still read all I can, here on Cast Boolits.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver Shooter View Post
    Hey Bonz, That goofy someone was me. I never read this post to the end. I appologize guys. Lesson learned. This thread is talking about what I was looking for. Duke used a 3 1/4" bore, that must be about as small as one can go. Are you guys building units using the press ads Duke did? I'm thinking of a bit of a different build. We'll see what happens. I'm heading for shoulder replacement surgery on Friday so my playing days will be on hold for a time. I can still read all I can, here on Cast Boolits.
    Silver Shooter,

Good luck on the shoulder surgery. I'll tell you like my Dr. told me. If you're a smoker, stop or you won't heal right because of the smoking. If you don't smoke, good. Remember, the hard part comes when you go to rehab. The more you work at it, not over work, but do just exactly what the therapist tells you, the better. I had my shoulder surgery June 30, 2011. I have all my strength and range of motion back and my shoulder is like new, but it comes with work and pain. Remember in the week after your surgery, ICE is your friend. As much as you can keep the shoulder iced down to decrease the inflammation and pain.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Bill, Thank you for those words of experience. The way it hurts now, I will be so glad when Friday PM comes and I'm on the mend. It's going to be miserable to look at my Boolit stuff and not be able to play.

Hey guys, I bought on ebay a 3 1/4 bore x 2" stroke cylinder and a switch to build a power Derim unit. I think, Duke, you said your setup was 3 1/4 Bore x 4" stroke. I'll just get things a little closer together so it pushed the cases thru. I'm excited to start putting it together.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    I won't take complete credit, or even partial credit for the idea.
    My mentor, BT Sniper, was the genesis for the idea. He also has a working pneumatic system.
    I just didn't want to crank on the swage press handle for every jacket.

So, I gathered as much information as I could, from as many sources as I could, and formulated a plan for an inexpensive solution.
    Piece of I-beam from the scrap metal yard....... some plate steel from a buddy..... a cheap cylinder from eBay (you have to be patient when trying to save money on eBay)... soome creative welding and fabricating..... A custom machined ram (THanks, Kev!)...... some adjustment to the de-rimming die et (THanks, BRian)... Some trial and error to get the brass to eject well (horizontal fixed that)....

I doubt that I will be doing any swaging on that machine. It really likes to go just Clunk - Clunk..... In and Out.... fast and powerfully.... not what is needed with the rest of the swaging process..... So, it will likely be just for derimming.

I really do need to mount th controls better, specially the actuator switch. Might do that all this week. My goal was to fill a yellow bucket with derimmed brass soon, and begin the process of assembling swaged bullets.

One of the bottle necks has been the annealing. So, again following the teachings of my mentor, BT Sniper, I received in a Lee 20 pound pot, and will start annealing the brass in that. Hope to have a yellow bucket of annealed jackets prepped by next weekend.

If anyone needs dimensions, details, etc... I would be happy to oblige. I would encourage all of you to build one. Sure beats cranking on the press handle!

I sent you a PM for build specs

In Remembrance

I'm not able to provide you with a working set of engineering plans for making a setup like mine.

Most of this sort of thing is flying by the seat of your pants engineering.

I have provided you with cylinder size, etc. I have also shown a pretty good video of the machine in operation.

Most of us would be able to take it from there.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Bub
    Duke,
    What are the two small columns on the air solenoid on the side where the air supply comes in, and where would one get them?

Banned
    thats cool i'm working on a way to feed the cases out of a hoper so i can make it go full auto hahahahahahhahha

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast