Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Pid Controller Schematic

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
    Bodine,
    I am a new member who is doing a PID project that I will use to control my Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot and to control y Lee 10 lb bottom pour. I am putting 2 Rex C100 controllers in my box along with 2 volt/amp displays. The issue I am having is with wiring my volt/amp display. The volt/amp display has a red and black wire coming from it and it also came with a round I beliee transformer that has 2 green wires coming from it. Each Rex C100 and it's volt/amp display will have an independent power source. Here are a few pictures of my project. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Attachment 287522
    I have a similar Volt/Amp meter.
    Red and Black are for the voltage to be measured.
    I would connect those in parallel with the Lee pot.
    Caution here to make sure the meter's input is not exceeded.
    It should handle the 120 vac (or 220 vac) going to the pot.

That round device is a current transformer.
    Run one lead going to the pot through the center of that Current Transformer.
    The other two wires (green) go to the current input on the Volt/Amp meter.
    That's it.

Voltage measurements are wired in parallel and current measurements are wired in series with the load.

Also, that Current Transformer "steps down" the current value to a value that the meter can handle.

Hope this helps.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Run one lead going to the pot through the center of that Current Transformer
    CTs are calibrated, should match the meter. If your reading is low you can wrap turns of the hot lead through the core. If the CT is NOT correct for your meter, your reading reading is not of much value. It will tell you if the heating element/SSR is bad (open). Your meter should go between the SSR and the pot, readings will flicker as the SSR goes on and off. One could use an LED/neon 120V test light for the same trouble shooting info.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I have a similar Volt/Amp meter.
    Red and Black are for the voltage to be measured.
    I would connect those in parallel with the Lee pot.
    Caution here to make sure the meter's input is not exceeded.
    It should handle the 120 vac (or 220 vac) going to the pot.

That round device is a current transformer.
    Run one lead going to the pot through the center of that Current Transformer.
    The other two wires (green) go to the current input on the Volt/Amp meter.
    That's it.

Voltage measurements are wired in parallel and current measurements are wired in series with the load.

Also, that Current Transformer "steps down" the current value to a value that the meter can handle.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the advice. I haven't hooked up my amp meter yet but my volt meter is working. I poured about 50 lbs of catfishing sinkers tonight with my PID unit. After watching Elvis Ammo's video on setting up his Lee 4/20 with his PID I decided to run my thermocouple to the nut on the pour spout. I am also using an analog lead thermometer in the pot. I am finding that with my PID set to 420 degrees C (788 F) my lead analog thermometer is reading about 825 degrees F, so I seem to have about a roughly 40 degree F offset by running my thermocouple to the pour spout. The Rex C100 seems to keep the temp steady also.

Boolit Bub
    Adding one of these to my new Lee 4-20 bottom pour this coming weekend.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456