Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 41 Swiss Brass forming....

Boolit Master
    32 MAGTEC is out of stock.

Boolit Master
    I use 348 Winchester brass. The trick to shooting these rifles using the magazine is to get the OAL of the round to as close to 2.20" as you can. Too long, too short, and they won't feed.

The thread that keeps on going...
    Last edited by Battis; 06-06-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I made all of mine out of .348 brass and they chamber fine in all 3 rifles that I shoot. However, if I were starting over I think I would go with 8mm Lebel brass only because it is more available then .348 brass. There are different lengths of brass needed for different bullet designs. In order for a cartridge to cycle through the magazine it has to be 2.2sh", so distance from tip of bullet back to where you plan to crimp subtracted from 2.2" gives your case length. I use the Accurate 43-33B its crimp location is .735 back from the nose; 2.2" - .735" = 1.465" case length. If you are using a shorter bullet like the Lee 300 grain (which I had great accuracy with) you will need a longer case (1.7sh" IIRC). If you are going to be shooting what I would call standard/generic .44/444 bullets you will want the longer case length. I think everybody has a case length they have worked out for their particular setup. I would recommend you make up 5 or 10 case and work with those for a while before you make a final determination on what length to trim to. I ordered a Lee custom case length gauge for $16, plus another $15 for the cutter and case holder, this produces nice consistent case lengths.

As mentioned bore/groove diameters vary and I got lucky the 3 of mine run from .427 to .430, when I size I use a .430 sizer. You may run into issues with bullet diameter, and case neck diameter not wanting to chamber. The nice thing about bullets like the 335B they have smaller diameter front driving band, and use a shorter neck so less likely to have chambering problems as the Vetterli's have a somewhat funnel shaped or tapered chamber.

Below are an original .41 swiss next to a Accurate 43-335B (which is very similar to the original only a flat point for safety as they are now in a magazine tube of centerfire cartridges), the other picture is the Lee 300 grain. You can see the difference in neck lengths.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	335 b 50pct.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	284237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 Lee 50pct.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	284238

I've been shooting Vetterli's for several years now and all 3 of mine have been very good shooters, accuracy wise they are probably one of the best of their time period. This is my best 50 yard group so far (old eyes so I do most of my work at 50 yards).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	best group so far 50 pct.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	284239

These rifles take a bit of work to get going but once you have a bullet and brass combination all set up they are a breeze to keep going. They will certainly get you some attention if you are shooting at a public range.

Enjoy your rifle!

Tom

Boolit Master
    Easiest way to make brass is out of .45-70 Win. Cut/trim to 1.710", wrap two layers (.15 wide) of electrical tape around base to better center in chamber. Can fireform with full pressure load, then final trim to 1.700". I just shot a 120 round match plus sighters and only had one that wouldn't extract. Had to knock it out with brass rod. I won that match too.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master
    When forming using 8mm Lebel, I leave it as long as I can.
    When fire form, it will kind of show where to trim to.
    I've found I can make the cases much longer, which makes it easier to seat the boolet out farther.
    I did something else so I could load through the tube mag.
    Can't remember what it was right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12