MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Oh Boy!

In Remebrance

Oh Boy!

Got a call from my local shop today, "Can you stop by for a minute?". Long story short- I walked away with a B&M Visible Powder Measure, a Lyman Spar-T turret press and a Lyman All American Turret press for a song. Owner said he figured it'd all be right up my alley. What a guy!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

score!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

The shop called you. That makes you a GUN NUT! There's a thred around here someplace with SOME of the characteristics.

In Remebrance

Well, being a steady customer paid off I guess. I've wanted a turret press for some time, now I have 2. The B&M was another long time want, and I could easily sell it on Ebay for 5 times what I paid for it. Nice old stuff. Now to find time to use it.

Boolit Master
    Good day for you, I'm happy for you that is good stuff.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

easy as ABC
    Always
    BE
    Careful
    !!!!
    good score,now enjoy !!!!

GP100man

Smile

I've happily used a Spar-T since 1980.

I used to use a friend's All-American turret press before I got the Spar-T. Be aware that it's designed for its own shell holders, and you'll need an adapter to use standard ones. I think I still have mine if you need it. I won't likely ever have an All-American press of my own.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

In Remebrance

Thanks Ricochet, I may take you up on that.

The All American came with the swinging primer arm, minus the tubes and with only one size primer "holder". I thought these had small and large primer "holders and tubes, but since I probaly won't use it, it's no biggy. The press does have a wire attached near the primer arm which I assume is to clean the flash hole?

I got the Spar-T handle on right, at least to me it's right. The former owner had it set so you had to pull up to do any sizing, etc. I turned it around so it works on the downstroke. Maybe the other guy got used to it, but it would have beed backwards to me.

The B&M measure needed a tbit of lube but slides easily now. Got 2 powder tubes with it, large and small. It's a bit awkward to use, but it's a nice measure.

When I get all this stuff set up, the shop cleaned, various carcasses, tires, and plain ol'junk outta the reload room (the milkhouse in the barn) I'll try and get a picture and post it. 7 or 8 presses, two sizers, lead pot, vices, etc. plus the dies, boxes of tools, bullets and boolits, ad nauseum should be a full bench.

Cast Boolits Owner

We want pics!

Isn't it just amazing how stuff accumulates? It sounds like you will have a nice area to work once you get it set up. I know you have been working hard getting the new homestead set up and "your" area always will take a back seat to the rest of the homestead until it is done. I too like to have lots of tools but at the moment "my area" is 20' X 20' and it is FULL of machines/tools/casting/reloading/ misc. stuff AND connected to the house. I can't wait till I reach the final homestead where I can set it up the way I see it in my dreams. Please provide pictures of your setup when it is complete so the rest of us can enjoy your glory.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    When I get all this stuff set up, the shop cleaned, various carcasses, tires, and plain ol'junk outta the reload room (the milkhouse in the barn) I'll try and get a picture and post it. 7 or 8 presses, two sizers, lead pot, vices, etc. plus the dies, boxes of tools, bullets and boolits, ad nauseum should be a full bench.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Bret:

On the AA-Turret, the little wire is a return spring, to swing the priming arm back out of the way for the next operation. If you look close, you'll see that the pivot for the arm is turned eccentric, so by loosening the set screw that holds it in the base, you can make fine adjustments to line the primer seater up with the shellholder and primer pocket. I MAY have a spare primer tube or two, and MAYE even a spare priming stem in the size you are missing. I'd have to dig into my storage shed to check. Frankly, in my opinion, the priming system is a bit of a "kloodge", and I do my priming in an ancient Lee hand priming tool with the screw-in shellholders. PM me if you want to follow up.

Goin' to the club social tonight, to meet a friend with a carton full of old loading tools (Lachmillers, etc.) he inherited. Wonder what-all else will turn up - I'm a sucker for this stuff. Just finished turning up a replica decapping stem / knock-out rod for a friend's incomplete Tru-Line SENIOR (no relation whatever to the little "Junior") from the 1940s. Now, there's a REAL kloodge!

Doug
    Last edited by floodgate; 07-18-2007 at 01:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

If Floodgate doesn't have it I probably will. I tend to keep lots of spares for my old Lyman stuff.

In Remebrance

Thanks guys. I got one of the RCBS hand primers a couple years ago, sadly just before they issued their improved and more ergonomic design. I'll prime with that I'm sure. It is nice to know how this stuff works though. I have to figure out which caliber the presses will be dedicated to yet. The AA will probably be 38/357. The Spar-T probably 44Spec/Mag and 32WCF or 32 S+W Long/Mag. Case flaring will be done with the Lee flaring die, hopefully in one of the little Lee hand/bench presses. The $20.00 job.
    Of course there are 45ACP's to feed and thats an issue to be resolved. A progressive would be nice for turning out large numbers of a chosen load once or twice a year, but there's too much else going on to worry about that. Just getting time to set my shop up, after I put on the new roof, will be a miracle.