Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where do I list lead for sale?

Killeen is like Norfolk, overrun by military. We Texicans (nope I'm not native) are really quite freidnly. We have calichee and black gumbo clay. I have good friends that adopted a drug baby - problems were many - but the kid was loved greatly. Prayers for your family. Thanks to your man for his service. Hope to get some lead from you soon. Does he do brass also? Do you do paypal, MO or what?

38 years? Ohg my word. I am coming upon my 1st anniversary Feb 18th and I often wonder how we have lived under the same roof for this long. Gosh he drives me nuts, But I do love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Yup, LOML = Love of My Life - in my case my wife of 38 years.
    ~Andrea

It would be the bullet casings. The lead melts out of the shells then he sorts the casings. We where just throwing them in the recycle bin, Then we got in trouble because there was so much that the trash and recycle people did not want to take care of it (Even though they could have made a pretty penny off it) So now we do it and take it to the recycle facility ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bfuller14 View Post
    Andrea.Thomas,
    Welcome to the sight.
    May I ask what brass he is sorting?
    ~Andrea

The brass right now he is sending to the recycle yard. Too much of it to clean and whatnot. We do Paypal, But are not opposed to MO, we have a regular thats get 180 pounds each a week that does money order and he has never missed a beat. His MO arrives every saturday and I ship his lead every monday since sunday isnt a ship day.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Killeen is like Norfolk, overrun by military. We Texicans (nope I'm not native) are really quite freidnly. We have calichee and black gumbo clay. I have good friends that adopted a drug baby - problems were many - but the kid was loved greatly. Prayers for your family. Thanks to your man for his service. Hope to get some lead from you soon. Does he do brass also? Do you do paypal, MO or what?
    ~Andrea

If it is rifle and or pistol brass you could offer it here. (maybe)?

Its a mix of both actually, Some are in good condition, Some are all mangled and half of it is useually dirty. Hence why my husband fluxes the lead between 2-4 times. If its picked from the rifle range its dirty. If its picked from the pistol range its not too bad. I dont think much of it could be used though for reloading, I think its better off as scrap. We get about $1.75 a pound for it at the scrap yard. I wouldnt put this stuff in my .380 so I wouldnt want anyone else to use it in thier pieces either.
    ~Andrea

Went to a tire shop yesterday because my husband hit a rifle stand and blew out the side wall of his tire, We wanted to price new tires. So anyway, The guy and my husband started shootin' the **** and hubby tells him about his little lead buisness. The dude gave my husband all these wheel weights. Well he melted it down to see the difference between range lead and the wheel weights and this stuff isnt shiny and pretty like the stuff we useually produce. So, what can I do with this stuff? I dont really wanna sell it because its not as good quality as we normally put out. Its about 35 pounds. I do not want it mixed with my lead box and have it end up with regular lead. Is wheel weight lead good for reloading or should I find someone who wants to buy it for casting. And why is there such a huge differnce? This stuff I cant really scratch, And range lead I can easily scratch with my fingernail.
    ~Andrea

It has other elements in it.
    And it is very good for Boolits.
    Some of us my be interested in your brass also...

Banned

you have to watch the ww stuff for zink ww's.
    in the lead section there is a sticky with directions on how to tell lead ww's from zink ww's.
    the lead clip on ww ingot's are preferred by many here to range scrap.

ww's = wheel weights.
    clip on's are the ones with steel clips
    stick on's are the little square/rectangular ones with tape on them.

we have our own whole language in casting, and whole other one in reloading.
    they seem to mesh together here.

Banned

if i said i used a 4/6/90 in my 311041 and got 170grs, for my 30-30 and necked it to .309 before using my flare die for the .310 boolit,used 34grs of H-4831,with a win-lr and got 1800 fps in my 20"-94.

i just gave a reloading recipe complete with the boolit i used
    the alloy i used.
    the mold i used.
    the weight of boolit i got from it.
    the diameter i sized the boolit to.
    the case preparation i done.
    the powder i used and how much.
    the primer i used.
    and the velocity the load gave me from my rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if i said i used a 4/6/90 in my 311041 and got 170grs, for my 30-30 and necked it to .309 before using my flare die for the .310 boolit,used 34grs of H-4831,with a win-lr and got 1800 fps in my 20"-94.

the alloy i used.
    the mold i used.
    the primer i used.
    You also said barrel length & model of rifle ya shot that recipe outta too!
    But you forgot to tell us which of the 2,763,891 lube recipe's you put on it.

Having a regular lead source will be great over time. I'm sure I'll be doing business with you as well. Best of luck in all your family issues. Sounds like you are a very strong lady and up to the challenges.

Tell your husband I appreciate his service to our country, and thank you for serving!

Boolit Bub
    Just a FYI, the types of lead that casters are generally interested in are: range lead, wheel weights, roofing/plumbing lead, print press lead (linotype), babbitt lead (bearing leads), radiology lead, almost any lead. Stay away from battery lead, very dangerous to try to smelt. One source of lead that really caught me off guard was the dentist (lead foils). I'm sure I missed a whole bunch of different types of leads alloys, feel free to chime in guys.

Banned

welllll.
    even if i told everybody what it was i don't think they could get the component's to make it.
    then i'd have to go into detail as to what the temperature was so it was clear if i was using the moly or the modified moly or the modified -A moly or the E-yellow-m.
    then we'd really have a thread drift.
    it's only doing 1800 anyway so one lube groove full of my simple lube is enough.
    [b.t.w. that's an actual recipe, except i use ww's and 1% tin and 25% soft lead air cooled]

i was just kinda showing that the brass/copper from the jaxkets, and that brass from the cartridge cases, could be confusing unless you speak the lingo.

Whoa you lost me there dude. This girl is pretty educated with a BSM and many other state and technical certificates however, I dont speak any foriegn languges except sign and that was very foriegn to me. Guess I will have to keep doing more reading and maybe eventually it will all make sense. Ive learned alot in my past few days. Believe it or not ive been reading many of the other forums, I dont comment though cuz most if it seems to be a guy thing. We will be mining today, We are planning on useing the walnut shaker and the hand shaker so hopefully we will get a good bit. We have never got less then 1,000 pounds though and thats a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post

the alloy i used.
    the mold i used.
    the primer i used.
    ~Andrea

Well if your interested in the WW I am sure he can get more, This guy was just a talkin his ear off about army stuff. My husband doesnt much like to talk to the younger people, I am the same way actually, but when he finds someone older that was in the military he just gets goin and its hard to get him to stop.

About the brass, I will take a picture here today or tomorrow and post it here, Its really hard to describe, I really do not feel comfortable passing it onto someone else just because I think its ****, However youns can see what im talking about and decide for yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bfuller14 View Post
    It has other elements in it.
    And it is very good for Boolits.
    Some of us my be interested in your brass also...
    ~Andrea

Haha it blocked out my word and it wasnt even a swear word. Weird.

So I kept saying my husbands gun was a 45, I was wrong. Its a 9. Guess I got used to thinking it was a 45 cuz thats what he used to have.

Anyway, He wants to start casting on his own, Is there anyone nearby that can show him the ropes? And does anyone here make and sell them? We'd be in for at least 1,000 or more rounds for each of our guns. Can you even mail ammo?
    ~Andrea

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, Andrea, it also blocks out the name of a certain type of file, or at least used to, I'm not sure that this new software does.

Wheel weights are typically a three part alloy, lead, tin, and antimony. This is an alloy that will water harden, or probably more accurately, temperature shock harden. This makes it good for rifle shooting. You can probably get close to a degree in metallurgy reading this site, especially the lead section. Alloying copper into lead is one of the threads there that is interesting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    If you want an information overload on lead and lead alloys, go to this site: http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Buddy
    I have not seen it yet, but are you set up here yet to sell range lead ingots?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast