RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 35 Rem bullet depth

Boolit Mold

35 Rem bullet depth

I recently made a mold for my 336 RC 35 Rem. I tried to keep a lot of frontal area with a large meplat because I want it for a hunting round, but due to the marlin having no throat I have to seat the bullet deeply in the case in order to chamber. I end up with a OAL of 2.210 with the base of the bullet about .150 below the neck. Is this workable or should I scrap the mold and make over with a smaller nose diameter. To give some background on me I am a tool and die maker so making a new mold is not a problem, but have only ever cast and reloaded for 357. Rifles are a new game to me, and I am not sure what I can get away with. Any insight will be appreciated, I have spent hours scouring this site and am amazed at the knowledge some of you posses.

Thanks

Jim

Banned

Welcome! Having the base of the boolit below the neck is not a bad thing and should not hurt anything. I would shoot it and see how it does.

I sure would like to see some pictures of your mould and the boolit you cast.

Boolit Master
    YES what Blammer said. I'm a BIG fan of the 35 Remmy and I'd like to see the mold, casted boolit, and the laoded cartridge you put together.

Boolit Grand Master

I load many rifle boolits with the check below the neck and it works well, Yes, I've heard all my life that this is a no-no but there are lot's of old wives tales floating around. What I do though is make sure that none of the lube grooves are below the neck.

I'm unclear on "the Marlin having NO throat" but if it truly has no throat a proper throating reamer can fix that in short order. I have a Winnie 94 that literally "had no throat", was never cut into the barrel at the factory which is probably how I got a really nice 1960's 94 at such a great price, previous owners couldn't get it to shoot. Sure shoots now though.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    here is a picture of the mold and bulletsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20130120_093944.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	59002

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jkoper View Post
    I recently made a mold for my 336 RC 35 Rem. I tried to keep a lot of frontal area with a large meplat because I want it for a hunting round, but due to the marlin having no throat I have to seat the bullet deeply in the case in order to chamber. I end up with a OAL of 2.210 with the base of the bullet about .150 below the neck. Is this workable or should I scrap the mold and make over with a smaller nose diameter. To give some background on me I am a tool and die maker so making a new mold is not a problem, but have only ever cast and reloaded for 357. Rifles are a new game to me, and I am not sure what I can get away with. Any insight will be appreciated, I have spent hours scouring this site and am amazed at the knowledge some of you posses. Thanks Jim
    Jim,

This design for the no-throat Marlin 35 Rem 336C has worked quite well. The mold is no longer being offered and is a tumble lube design but, if you wish, the design could easily be adapted to a grease groove application while maintaining the wide meplate profile that is seemes to work well with the Marlins.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies, Tom the drawings help a lot thank you very much. I think I'm going to try and get these to shoot and if they wont I remake the mold to those specs.

Jim