Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Happy 16 yr Old!

Great job!
    GH1

Good job, love the good old .35. Just getting geared up for my daughter to start hunting next year, can't wait.

Boolit Buddy

Outstanding!

A shotgun, a rifle and a 4-wheel drive and a country boy can survive!

That boy, and a few million more like him and the Republic will be secure!

Tim
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Well Done, the whole Job.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    nicely done.
    i don't think i'd change anything either.
    he might have to put one in going the other way.

Or he might want to anchor a big one. My first hog with a 35 Rem CB was well over 200 lbs. Shot went thru the hard shield and broke both shoulders. Boolit didn't exit but the hog didn't go anywhere either. I'm gonna leave that alloy just like it is!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Happy....and Normal. Good to see a boy being a boy. Congrats!

That picture shows that he earned that hog. Great job.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Fabulous! You must be proud, I know I would be. Great that he has those skills you taught him.

My oldest son is 12 and wants to shoot and hunt all the time too. He liked watching me butcher the doe I shot this year with my bow too. He wants to learn casting and loading this summer.

Great to watch our boys grow up eh?!

Dan

Boolit Master
    Oh come on now.
    Did you forget where you are?
    We need info!
    What mold, lube, Velocity!

Tell him good job.

Boolit Buddy
    It's the rcbs 35- 200, over varget, Randy Rats tac lube. I don't have a chrony, so I really don't know the speed. Fast enough to kill a hog, anyway.

He head shot a rabbit a few weeks back with a 358156 we had loaded over 10 grains of unique in hopes of using it as a rabbit/squirrel load. The missing head clued us to the fact that this might not be the best gun/load combination for small critters.

Boolit Master
    Nice going! Geez, your sort of lucky? to have hogs running around your back yard

I can see it now... "Son, go out yonder and git me a hog, folks are coming over later for a BBQ!"
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    This is what's running around in the yard this week...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0034.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	64761

At least was running around. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0048.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	64762

These guys have been hanging out right next to the road all week. We warned them that somebody would not be able to resist temptation, and sure enough, someone didn't. We were working on clearing some land, and started into town to get some tractor parts. When we rounded the corner by our neighbors hay field, there was a small traffic jam of trucks from various neighbors parked by the road, with them standing staring out into the field.

It seems some road hunter had taken a pot shot at one of the big gobblers with a .22 magnum, wounded it and was then interrupted by a neighbor before he could retrieve it. The guy took off and left the turkey wounded in the middle of a 40 acre hay patch.

We all stood around a moment and considered which of the guns wedged in the nooks and crannies of the various trucks present would be most suitable for the job at hand. After some discussion, (and digging behind truck seats) a .410 single shot and one (1) 3" #7 1/2 shotshell was produced. Most of those present having had personal experience with wounded turkeys in the past, we then considered these two facts:
    1. This was probably going to turn into a footrace.
    2. The 16 year old was 30 years younger than the next oldest.

The boy was then handed the shotgun and unleashed. He began to cautiously approach the turkey and the turkey began to do what wounded turkeys always do - head for the horizon. For a bird with a .22 magnum through both hips, he gave a young-un in cowboy boots a run for his money, with a bunch of old farts standing on the road cheering on the proceedings.
    I'm telling you folks, turkey hunting as a spectator sport oughta be a money making franchise, if we can figure out how to make it work!! He finally gained on the bird enough to screech to a halt, throw up the little gun and whack the old bird right in the back of the head with a load of 7 1/2's.

So, I'm sitting here this evening with a belly full of fried turkey breast, still quietly snickering from time to time over the ludicrousness of the whole event.
    Last edited by Leslie Sapp; 12-21-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Banned

now that got me laughing too.
    our fall hunt overlaps the deer hunt.
    hitting a turkey in the head with a deer rifle at 125 yds is not easy, especially from a field position.
    it took me three shots [I gave up on the head on the third shots] and i took it at the body neck junction.
    little girl couldn't see what I was shooting at but certainly could have seen a deer if one had been there.
    she was trying to figure out what I was doing, and right after the third shot she YELLS "what are you shooting at"?
    so I made her walk over and get it. [I had to give her hand signals when she got close]

Great job on the hog and the turkey. Y'all live in a game rich area. Turkey season started there yet?
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Started last weekend, but other than the above fiasco, we haven't had a chance to do much about it.

You should be proud, I'd be proud too. Good job with him.

I hope he has many more in the future.

Boolit Master
    Better then GREAT Leslie!!!!!!!!

Without knowing which bullet your are using, I'll make the following comments.

Just a thought here. I use the 50/50 - WW/Lead in my 45/70, quenching the bullets in cold water as they drop from the mold.

However, seeing the fantastic results from a WFN cast - non-expanding bullet, I wonder if posssibly a different bullet profile might get er done for your son without the possibly unrelyable expansion.

With the WFN, at least in my case, I don't need or want expansion.

I desire ZERO expansion from the 45/70 on deer and elk, but the WFN bullet profile just kills way beyond what you'd think or expect for a non-expanding bullet.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Great way to put meat on the table.

No GMO there!

just wondering what gun and cartridge?

looks like a Winchester, but in 35? I don't know my leverguns that well.

'nuk
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Mold
    Well Done!!!

Boolit Buddy
    just wondering what gun and cartridge?
    It's a 1964 vintage Marlin 336 RC. in .35 Remington. It belonged to a neighbor lady's deceased husband, and when the kid saw it, he fell in love with it. I have to admit, the boy's got good taste in guns!