RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a dilema with my .45 bullets

Question I have a dilema with my .45 bullets

In my other post I told of getting my new mold from Lee. The box is marked TL452-200-SWC but the mold is stamped 452-230. I decided to keep it anyway and use it. Now after casting some bullets and getting ready to reload them, the OAL is way off if I follow Lee's OAL reccomendation. I'm not so sure these are 230 gr as I don't have a scale to check them on. If any one has either one of these molds could you measure the length of just the bullet. Mine measure .587.
    I guess I need to get a grain scale to check my bullets.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by randy_68 View Post
    I guess I need to get a grain scale to check my bullets.
    Yes . . . And your powder!

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    +1 cbrick
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

If you live close to me, being in SW IN myself, I could weigh and measure the ones you have, if you're close. I'll send you a PM

Boolit Grand Master

Just curious, but how do you think you will reload ammo without
    a powder scale? This is potentially dangerous.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance

Lee loader with dipper. Or on a press using the Lee dippers. Many thousands of cartridges have been loaded this way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Just curious, but how do you think you will reload ammo without
    a powder scale? This is potentially dangerous. Bill
    Potentially?

Well, he's in SW Indiana and I'm not.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Lee loader with dipper. Or on a press using the Lee dippers. Many thousands of cartridges have been loaded this way.
    Perhaps but I would certainly check the charges on a scale before I chambered a single round.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Lee does not make a 452 230 SWC so I think the mold is marked wrong. My conventional lube groove 452-200 SWC measures .643" tall. Have no idea what the TL SWC would measure.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Bullet look like this one but in TL design?

Boolit Master

I just checked the length of my Lee TL 452-230 Truncated Cone Boolits, and they measure at .625

Pictures would help
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

My guess is that your mold is mismarked, BUT you need to find out for sure, and YOU NEED A SCALE!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Guys, I have a powder scale but it only goes to 100 grains. I have been loading jacketed bullets for a few years but never needed a scale beyond what I had. I am just wanting to check the weight of these bullets because I don't trust the markings now. Before I load them I would like to be sure of their weight , that is all. I'm new to cast bullet making so sorry if I sound like a DA.
    And as I suspected the mold might be marked wrong because if I load them according to the 200 grain OAL they look right but if I load them according to a 230 Then I have 2 bands sticking out of the case.

Also maybe this will help. Here is a couple of pics with the bullet seated at 1.190( Lee spec for cast 200gr) and it is flush with the hood of the barrel. If I load it like the spec for a 230 at 1.270 it is waaay too long. So I think my mold is mis-stamped.

Last edited by randy_68; 01-17-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Do they look like this:
    Attachment 58707
    These are TL452-230-TC
    If so. I load them to 1.19" COL and shoot them with 5.0g Unique (could go to 5.5g, but I'm only punching paper) or 4.0g Bullseye. If you have problems with the bullets not going that last bit into the chamber, 1.17" COL should put the shoulder right at the edge of the case mouth. I drop the charge by 0.2g for those bullets, but I leave so much margin for safety that I probably don't need to drop the charge at all.

I just checked the Lee sight as and as another responder said, Lee doesn't make a 230 grain SWC design like I have so the mold has to be stamped wrong. I will email Lee about this as it could/has caused a problem. Luckily I did not load any yet.
    Thanks for your help guys.

Would those bullets, TL-452-230-TC, also be good for 45 Colt? I was hoping to find a TL bullet for 45 Colt and if I can use it occassionaly for .45 ACP all the better. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Guys, I have a powder scale but it only goes to 100 grains.
    It's a bit of a pain but you could chisel the boolit into 3 pieces and weigh them individually.

Boolit Master

Randy - First, get a scale. I got one from Sinclair, a little electronic unit, very accurate and great for weighing boolits. I think it cost around 30 bux, on sale. I wouldn't personally load ANYTHING without a scale of some sort - period. Get that done, then proceed. You'll be much happier. Apologies for the scolding. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I hate using scales for reloading. I use dippers but still weigh my first couple dipper loads to check any new powder to make sure it was properly labeled and the scale goes back on the shelf until I buy some new powder. Fortunately, the dippers will normally throw light charges and it is next to impossible to over charge a load with a dipper if it is the right size with the right powder.

Andy from Lee responded to me and I will return my mold to them and they are sending me a new one. It is marked wrong.